How geyser works and how can I cool the water down?

Dear all, 

I'm a total newbie in this game, even though steam told me I had 70+ hours into it (yuck. I'm a slow learner, haha..). Nevertheless, I was tinkering with the water from the steam geyser all the last couple of days. I know I can get water from it but not exactly sure the process. Sometimes I would dry out the pocket of water inside the geyser. Does pressure have something to do with it? If I cool the temperature inside the geyser (using thermal regulators), would it make it produce more water?

On the aspect of cooling down the water from the geyser, I tried putting 3 wheelzeworts inside the steam chamber (all enclosed by insulated tiles). It doesn't seem to do anything useful. Heck, I feel like my game is broken since I tried to put wheezelwort anywhere, it doesn't seem to change the temperature at all. Has wheezlewort been patched to become completely useless? Is the only way to cool gasses now is by using thermal regulators? What other ways are you using to cool the water? Do you run water through a room full of cold gas? Or do you run cold gas inside insulated pipes around the geyser room? Do you use normal water/gas pipe or insulated pipe? Do you need some extra thermal regulators to cool the gas from pipe, since even though with insulated pipe, the gas inside gradually rise in temperature, which make the process useless. 

On the subject of thermal regulators, has something changed and there is a limit to how cold the gas can be? I can't even create supercool hydgrogen to grow wheat now (which is only -50 degree C). I pump hydrogen to the growing room from electrolyzers until pressure reaches ~1000g/tile. Then I stop the pump from electrolyzers and setup a closed loop where I pump hydrogen from the growing room  through 3 thermal regulators. The hydrogen inside the pipe says -20 degree or so but as soon as it exit to the growing room, the room stays fixed at 5-10 degree. I ran it for 10 cycles and the hydrogen refuse to go any lower. What did I do wrong? 

There are so many patches and most of the guides online can't be duplicated. There is a recent guide 3 days ago instructed to dropping water through a room of 3 wheelzeworts. He said that will freeze the water if I let it run for too long. In fact... it does nothing and the water inside is reaching 70 degree now... Please help me figuring out how the physics works in this game. 

If I remember right Wheezeworts take in heat around them and cool it, If there is a constant flow of heat it would be a very long if not nevernding case of hot air filling the area around it and being chilled.

The area around a geyser will usually always be hot, But I found that time and a place for the steam to run off to usually condenses it after a while. Unfortunately that is all I can offer with thermal dynamics in this game

So, what I've done in my current base is built a lake in one of the cold biomes below my base. Once all that ice was consumed and I wasn't able to cool it down sufficiently, I blocked my geyser, used 4 wheezeworts to cool the water to reasonable levels, and then once I opened up the geyser again, 1 or 2 wheezeworts seems sufficient to cool the constant drip.

So cold biomes and wheezeworts are all I know to use at this point.

You could take a look here:

I explain my way of doing it there, and it works quite well while still being compact and cheap. Tested it as recently as last night so should still work.

Archived