Stress reduction w/out power: Boxing bags

Due to the fact that massage tables requires power now, (that makes totally sense) we need some form of non-powered way to make the duplicates reduce stress. I have the following suggestion:

Boxing bag: Hung from the ceiling. Can be constructed with something like 3 Reed fiber and sand. Requires repair with sand and reed fiber after 10-15 times use. That could work similar to the outhouse with "remaining usages".

What do you think? Other suggestions for relaxation activites that makes sense without power?

I think it should depend on the Dupe maybe each Dupe has an activity that reduces stress just like they do for their reaction to stress.  That said maybe it reflects bad reaction to stress.  Maybe Dupes that vomit to stress reduce it when working with medical stations, ones that break things have a workout station.  It would be good to have something that wasn't powered as an option but it shouldn't work with all of them so you're forced to decide to go with one item that works but takes power or several to work with everyone that doesn't require power.  That's my 2 cents.

I think it's possibly ok since it require material that you take time to obtain, but i would like to see it working only for dupes with the destroy trait. So each kind of stress reaction should have his own way to "control" the dupe when he is too stressed. For example, destroyer dupes will "destroy" this instead of a real structure. But a binge eater dupe will not care about hitting a bag of sand.

Another idea: Weight benches. The idea is that really stressed dupes needs an outlet for the stress and that it should be physical. When I'm really stressed, I want to hit something/work out, not get a massage. The massage tables have always been a bit weird for me personally.

I think duplicants executing their stress behaviour (may it be breaking stuff, stuffing the stomach with food for some days, filling the base with vomit, ...) should reduce their current stress level by 10-20%. Alone to prevent endless loops, like the one duplicant I had that starved over repeatedly breaking a battery (as the others repaired it quickly every time since it was near a compactor with material and they were idle).

On 5/24/2017 at 4:27 AM, Tml90 said:

Boxing bag: Hung from the ceiling. Can be constructed with something like 3 Reed fiber and sand. Requires repair with sand and reed fiber after 10-15 times use. That could work similar to the outhouse with "remaining usages".

Lol.  That is a great idea.  I was just thinking how it's a little two-dimensional that the massage table is the only active way to relieve stress (no pun intended).  Weight bench is also a great idea.  Dupes need a way to strength-train anyways.

I think the game needs a lot more end-game leisure activities like this that relieve stress or dupes just do for fun. 

I also think it would be cool if, when a dupe performed a task related to their profession, it lowered their stress.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:50 PM, Kasuha said:

Stress reduction without power is called Decor. Just make the dupe stand at a high decor place and his stress will go down.

While that is true in-game, I don't really think of decor as stress reducing IRL. You won't see me visit an art gallery while depressed or struggling with something serious. I think that's true for most of us, except the few that are in fact really into art. That's why I think the game needs a few more options that makes sense for most of us.

Definitely like the idea of specific stress-reducing activities, but they might not all be unpowered. For example;

Ugly Crier

Unpowered: Teddy Bear Hatch (made from Reed)

Powered: Therapizer 5000 (Robot therapist w/couch; produces noise like Loud Sleeper)

Binge Eater

Unpowered: Junk Food (Complex cooking requirements, but otherwise not a further drain on the grid)

Powered: TV station (Binge-watch TV while eating one unit of food like popcorn)

Stress Vomiter

Unpowered: Couch (Doubles as emergency cot)

Powered: Antacid (Apothecary item)

On 5/26/2017 at 11:18 PM, OxygenLover said:

With punching bags, it could probably be tied in with duplicants that have a destructive tendency. They could redirect themselves from vital infrastructure to the punching bag.

Ooh, if we take that approach, could Stress Vomiters try to run for a Lavatory when they lose it? Operative word being "try".

Archived