Two Shipwrecked Mobs that Would Perfectly Fit into DST

I´m of the opinion that elements of Shipwrecked should be salvaged and tried to be implemented naturally into the DST world. So here´s two Mobs that I think could really work well into the game:

- Poison snakes that have a chance of spawning when you mine a rock in the Desert: I don´t know what the chances of this should be, but I think it be cool that if you are mining without being careful, you could catch a nasty surprise. Their main loot should be a Venom Gland (increase the chances), so you can craft antivenom (with a new recipe of course) and make poisoned Spears and darts. This would be fantastic, I think, for PVP. On one hand, it shortens that really tedious experience where one player is just chasing another for days, until the pursuer looses interest or one of them dies from starvation. On the other hand, it also levels the playing field a bit: loaded Wolfgangs and Wigfrids wouldn´t be so OP now, because a single hit from Wendy with a poisoned spear could bring serious trouble. 

Also, it be really cool, if you could place poison glands as filler in crock pot recipes, so you can cook poisoned food (that only you know is poisoned). You can use this to secure your base; Stopping players from stealing and going into your fridge, thinking they can just take and eat anything they want. 

- Water Beefalo: In summer, a herd of water beefalo spawns in the dessert and migrates to the oasis for water (halfway through Summer). Like Shipwrecked, they can enter and swim in the lake. Once the lake is dry, they migrate around the desert. Main reason to have them would be for Dripple Pipes, because that´s such a fun item and could be super useful for Summer. Players could use it to help other who are overheating across the map. 

Last though, I feel like the Birchnut trees in the Oasis should be switched out with Jungle Trees. 

In my opinion the Water Beefalos are more suited for a bigger lake/sea. For example, having 3 beefalos swimming in that small Oasis doesn't make sense for me. Also we are supposed to fish in that tiny lake. I'm not against this possible update but I rather want the whole Shipwrecked integrated in DST than small pieces from it. Something tells me that SW is a exclusive DLC for Don't Starve single-player... 

29 minutes ago, Mananu said:

In my opinion the Water Beefalos are more suited for a bigger lake/sea. For example, having 3 beefalos swimming in that small Oasis doesn't make sense for me. 

This is true. Maybe you could solve this by making the lake and the Oasis a lot bigger?

31 minutes ago, Mananu said:

I'm not against this possible update but I will rather want the whole Shipwrecked integrated in DST than small pieces from it. 

I just don´t think that it will be possible. Having caves and Shipwrecked is too heavy, and then there´s the Volcano in Shipwrecked (which could be changed to an island I guess).

But even if it were possible, I still rather have elements added to the core game. I think the way Shipwrecked was dealt with back in Singleplayer was a mistake, DST could fix that.

Um, gems and feathers?  And another reason to make fishing rods.

I'm not too keen on the poisoned food idea:

• It's passive-aggressive and anti-social.  Just talk to people and ban if you have to.
  • It's an easy tool for griefing a camp without being identified as the culprit.
  • You could easily forget which food you poisoned, or somebody could deliberately rearrange your fridge contents to confuse you.  
  • I haven't watched The Princess Bride and can't effortlessly quote the poisoned chalice scene.
  • You can already poison noobs and devs alike by filling your fridge with red mushrooms.

3 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

Um, gems and feathers?  And another reason to make fishing rods.

I actually stopped playing Vanilla when they added that, so I missed those last updates and don't know much about it.

8 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

I'm not too keen on the poisoned food idea:

• It's passive-aggressive and anti-social.  Just talk to people and ban if you have to.

I sorta feel that there should more anti-social and PVP features though.

9 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

It's an easy tool for griefing a camp without being identified as the culprit

That´s true, but if you die, it would say "Poisoned by". It doesn't even have to be a death message, from the moment you get poisoned, it could tell you who did it.

12 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

You could easily forget which food you poisoned, or somebody could deliberately rearrange your fridge contents to confuse you. 

Anything you poisoned, would show as poisoned on your display. 

On 5/11/2017 at 2:56 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I´m of the opinion that elements of Shipwrecked should be salvaged and tried to be implemented naturally into the DST world. So here´s two Mobs that I think could really work well into the game:

- Poison snakes that have a chance of spawning when you mine a rock in the Desert: I don´t know what the chances of this should be, but I think it be cool that if you are mining without being careful, you could catch a nasty surprise. Their main loot should be a Venom Gland (increase the chances), so you can craft antivenom (with a new recipe of course) and make poisoned Spears and darts. This would be fantastic, I think, for PVP. On one hand, it shortens that really tedious experience where one player is just chasing another for days, until the pursuer looses interest or one of them dies from starvation. On the other hand, it also levels the playing field a bit: loaded Wolfgangs and Wigfrids wouldn´t be so OP now, because a single hit from Wendy with a poisoned spear could bring serious trouble. 

Also, it be really cool, if you could place poison glands as filler in crock pot recipes, so you can cook poisoned food (that only you know is poisoned). You can use this to secure your base; Stopping players from stealing and going into your fridge, thinking they can just take and eat anything they want. 

Interesting Ideas AFAIAC!

In Thirst mod we are already coding in ways to poison & purify water wells & barrels (yes we are anti-social) and we actually have a special mob that will attack players caught using ponds overly much as a water source. 

It might be interesting to blend some of the ideas (snakes poison / glands - perhaps more) into our mod, here is a prototype poisoned water barrel:

ut108zV.png

Reskinned with permission from Pickle It - (Awesome Mod)

Regardless, your wish to be able to poison others will be  reality in Thirst, and there is always this mod which I helped contribute to as well.

P.S. I don't think water Beef is a great idea the way you proposed it. Certainly not in a desert! 

1 hour ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

Sealnado but something that can replace the seal and basically change the textures so the tornado matches the Sandstorm 

Maybe like a sealnado but more of a storm? It could appear in Spring, you wouldn't have to change much except for the seal part, maybe replace it with a very angry mosling? Or maybe remove the whole possessed-part and just make it a storm, but it wouldn't be easy to make a fight out of that.

The original plan was to use water spiders to punish ppl who abused free water from ponds but this snake idea is too good...

Consider it stolen.

Shipwrecked

snake_build.png

Thirst Water Snake

snake_build_alt.png

Venomous variant

snake_yellow_build_alt_alt_alt.png

I toyed with the idea of making one bright band non venomous and two bright bands venomous for fun IRL snake identification games, (I could just hear players in game: "OSH*T - Which one is venomous again?") but my partner said we aren't that anti-social :(.

Work proceeds on the mod... 

bKjteZx.png

Archived