[GUIDE] How Power Works (as of 4/28/17)

true and the calculations should be but the visual bugs for things working when there not have long been an issue in the game. and its usually how the games dose its calculations that are the problem.

the exploitable amount would still only be negligible the devices show that they are on but don't actually perform their function they just visually perform them.

My problem with the power system is that coal is rubbish it gets used up so fast. Hydrogen not that great and the hamster wheels take dups away from other stuff

I constantly have circuits overloaded all the time. no matter what I try to do to correct the power problem

Any helpful advice

5 minutes ago, leea123 said:

My problem with the power system is that coal is rubbish it gets used up so fast. Hydrogen not that great and the hamster wheels take dups away from other stuff

I constantly have circuits overloaded all the time. no matter what I try to do to correct the power problem

Any helpful advice

Use smaller circuits. When you're setting up a new bank of power-consuming hardware, spin up an entirely new circuit instead of hooking them in to an existing one that's already got a peak load of 1920w. (As a general rule, I keep my peak circuit loads under 1400w, so there's room to add more in a pinch.)

Put lots of batteries and high-priority hamster wheels on the circuits that drive critical machinery like the water pump that feeds your showers and lavs. Lower-priority wheels on stuff that can run intermittently without a big problem, like the electrolyzers, the CO2 scrubbers, or the coolant pumps.

Make sure there are wheels on your circuits with coal generators so that you're not running on 100% coal.

Turn off combat on all your dupes so they won't kill hatches. Keep the hatches safe and set out food for them. Each hatch will produce 125kg of coal a day. A coal generator running at peak capacity will burn 600kg of coal a day. If you're burning coal faster than you're collecting it, add more wheels, mothball coal burners, or collect more hatches.

Try this exercise. Start a new game, and for every machine you make, place a tiny battery and a hamster wheel next to it, all spaced one tile apart. Connect wires between these and nothing else. Tweak priorities and add wheels/batteries as the needs arise.

Once you master this system of many circuits, step up to combining circuits and adding in coal generators.

And as Jumpp pointed out, preserve your Hatches! Disable Combat on all dupes, and whenever a dupe gets attacked, just order the dupe to move away, the Hatch will forgive them and go about its business as your new pet : )

OH! And when you start a new game, before you do anything, mouse over the natural tiles around you. Any tiles hiding a hatch will say so in the little tooltip, not just "buried object" tiles but any tiles in the basic biome. Place a dig order on that tile as a reminder. But don't wait too long before collecting your hatches, they will eventually die if never dug out.

Archived