Issues Still Remaining In ANR Content

Yeah yeah new puzzle is cool, release is hype, bla bla bla, but there still are some flaws that myself and others in the community would like to see addressed.

-Opal. The Iridiscent gem, or the Opal, is perfectly useless. Hell, unlike a few suggestions I don't even think it necesserily needs an amulet, it can be just an easter egg gem, but imo it should at the very least be socketable into a moonlens. I don't think this would take as much effort as other ways to make it have a use, and this also allows for more decorational purposes with it, alongside the obvious usage.

-Phlegm and Glommer Wings. Both are also perfectly useless. Phlegm I can give the benefit of a novelty drop for, but the Glommer Wings need a use. whatever it may be, something has to replace the old bell.

-Shadow Pieces. They were meant to have special armor/weapon drops when killed at level 3, but by the looks of it these plans were scrapped. My main grip with this is that it means there's only 1 really viable piece to bring to level 3 for being the easiest, as all of them share the atrium drop. Besides, this means that re-obtaining the Atrium is more boring the following times than it would otherwise be, as you're only doing this for it(The night armour and the dark sword you obtain from them are...well you're not gonna farm them for that, let's say it that way).

-Shroom Skin. This is a lesser complaint, but it probably does need another use. Mushlights and Glowcaps are essentially the same craftable, and given how you don't need that much of them really, another use for Shroom Skin might be useful.

-Disease. Big complaint. We need a cure, or to have this mechanic removed. Whichever one you choose, as it's current form adds absolutely nothing of note. It's tedious to lategame bases, it doesn't add difficulty and it's really just pure annoyance.

-Bee Queen needs a nerf. Her loot is decent but the fight is way too much for low player count games without cheesing it. If I have to cheese a bossfight to do it properly, that's not a good fight. Either make the slowing creep disperse faster, or have her move more slowly(right now she kites you as you just have to stand there and take it), or have her spawn less grumble bees/less often, or a combination of all 3. These 3 fronts as they are right now are horrid.

These are all the issues I can think of. Please, I want to see these addressed, some of these a lot more than others, but all are current things in the game which still feel unfinished.

Unused items needs a use. Shadow pieces need a reward.

Instead of nerfing the bee queen they just need to add in the absolutely basic function that causes the health of significant enemies to scale based on the player count. Yes, there is a mod for it, but mods are not an excuse to not make real content additions. It makes no sense that enemy health is so high that small groups will have trouble even experiencing certain content; when being in a small group is a completely viable and frequent option. That's just bad, there is no five plus mandatory player requirement for playing the game; it should not be a requirement to enjoyably experience the combat.

That whole aspect of the game is ridiculous you have to jump through so many hoops to summon the Shadow Pieces and Fuelweaver. Yes it makes sense to make the end bosses more difficult to meet. But the process of summoning the Shadow Pieces is ridiculous. They could of done it any other way, but they chose to make in a multi-stage-across-the-world-only-active-at-certain-times gauntlet.

- Find the chess piece you need, mine them.

- Carry the suspicious marble to them, typically by training a beefalo.

- Add the marble and mine it on a full moon, kill the spawned clockwork to get the diagram.

- Use the diagram to make the right chess piece.

- Do this for the other two pieces.

- Place them all near eachother, to spawn the three bosses on the next new moon.

Yeah. That sounds. So fun. You have to find each piece, find each marble, carry the marble to them, mine them each during the full moon to get the diagram, then build the right statue and wait until the new moon to fight the real boss. That sounds more like a chore then a game mechanic.

How about making suspicious marble an item crafted with marble that you can carry in your inventory, and make each chess piece it goes to a unique set piece you find and repair in the world using that piece you made. You then can use it to summon the corresponding boss at night, and when that boss is defeated you get a special reward; the others in the world will level up and be more challenging when you face them. Until finally when you fight the third, it will be max, and will drop the Atrium Heart.

Basically, how about anything other then the current system which is just tedious to even think about performing.

2 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Unused items needs a use. Shadow pieces need a reward.

Instead of nerfing the bee queen they just need to add in the absolutely basic function that causes the health of significant enemies to scale based on the player count. Yes, there is a mod for it, but mods are not an excuse to not make real content additions. It makes no sense that enemy health is so high that small groups will have trouble even experiencing certain content; when being in a small group is a completely viable and frequent option. That's just bad, there is no five plus mandatory player requirement for playing the game; it should not be a requirement to enjoyably experience the combat.

That whole aspect of the game is ridiculous you have to jump through so many hoops to summon the Shadow Pieces and Fuelweaver. Yes it makes sense to make the end bosses more difficult to meet. But the process of summoning the Shadow Pieces is ridiculous. They could of done it any other way, but they chose to make in a multi-stage-across-the-world-only-active-at-certain-times gauntlet.

- Find the chess piece you need, mine them.

- Carry the suspicious marble to them, typically by training a beefalo.

- Add the marble and mine it on a full moon, kill the spawned clockwork to get the diagram.

- Use the diagram to make the right chess piece.

- Do this for the other two pieces.

- Place them all near eachother, to spawn the three bosses on the next new moon.

Yeah. That sounds. So fun. You have to find each piece, find each marble, carry the marble to them, mine them each during the full moon to get the diagram, then build the right statue and wait until the new moon to fight the real boss. That sounds more like a chore then a game mechanic.

How about making suspicious marble an item crafted with marble that you can carry in your inventory, and make each chess piece it goes to a unique set piece you find and repair in the world using that piece you made. You then can use it to summon the corresponding boss at night, and when that boss is defeated you get a special reward; the others in the world will level up and be more challenging when you face them. Until finally when you fight the third, it will be max, and will drop the Atrium Heart.

Basically, how about anything other then the current system which is just tedious to even think about performing.

Tbh I don't think they'll do it but I'd love hp scaling to the player count. 2 people already can do most things but there's a good amount that just requires cheesing if you don't have enough people, most notably Bee Queen.

Actually you can spawn the Shadow Pieces on your own once they're reconstructed. Mine the statues on a new moon, they become Shadow Pieces as well.

Honestly, I'm fine with the current system. That idea's not bad either, but I don't have much issues with what we have now. 

Ever since their introduction, I've been waiting for a re-design of the fight with the shadow pieces. It just feels like taking damage against these guys is mandatory when they're at stage 2 or 3. Everything else you can kite normally with good timing, but these guys require you to stack every speed bonus available just to dodge them. So the easier strategy ends up just being to tank them.

That, and as you already mentioned, it would be nice to see unique drops for each of them to encourage fighting them in a different order. These guys are a major progression point in ANR, but they just feel so... unfinished...

Just now, Sinister_Fang said:

Ever since their introduction, I've been waiting for a re-design of the fight with the shadow pieces. It just feels like taking damage against these guys is mandatory when they're at stage 2 or 3. Everything else you can kite normally with good timing, but these guys require you to stack every speed bonus available just to dodge them. So the easier strategy ends up just being to tank them.

That, and as you already mentioned, it would be nice to see unique drops for each of them to encourage fighting them in a different order. These guys are a major progression point in ANR, but they just feel so... unfinished...

An interesting way to re-do them is to have them try to protect each other. Once they're out to attack they'll be vulnurable for a bit(like the Bishop) afterwards, and once 1 dies, the others get stronger. Still fits the fight's theme, but more interesting and they're less constantly aggroing. 

13 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I think this design choice is due to how little the marble suit is used. With most other bosses, kiting is so integral that the suit's speed reduction makes it not worthwhile. Not being able to kite the shadow pieces makes this a much more viable armour for at least one boss fight.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

An interesting way to re-do them is to have them try to protect each other. Once they're out to attack they'll be vulnurable for a bit(like the Bishop) afterwards, and once 1 dies, the others get stronger. Still fits the fight's theme, but more interesting and they're less constantly aggroing. 

That would be interesting. One thing I wanted out of the fight was seeing them interacting with each other and working together somehow instead of working independently.

Another interesting idea would be to make the fight fit in mechanically with the chess theme a bit. When first summoned they wouldn't do anything (except maybe taunt and stare you down) and would only move and attack when a nearby player moved or attacked. It could give the fight a bit of a turn-based feeling as well as making the fight more unique.

Just now, Sinister_Fang said:

That would be interesting. One thing I wanted out of the fight was seeing them interacting with each other and working together somehow instead of working independently.

Another interesting idea would be to make the fight fit in mechanically with the chess theme a bit. When first summoned they wouldn't do anything (except maybe taunt and stare you down) and would only move and attack when a nearby player moved or attacked. It could give the fight a bit of a turn-based feeling as well as making the fight more unique.

I'd love that, ngl. The best fights in the game and in any game really are those which introduce a whole new thing.

Klaus, what with incentivizing not to hit the deers, so you have to manuever around their attacks, Weaver with the focus on sanity and lategame items in order to counter his attacks, and Toadstool with the existance of the spores, the sporecaps and his levels actually being a thing that matters as the third phase is a big fight changer in some ways you can take on him. 

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

I think this design choice is due to how little the marble suit is used. With most other bosses, kiting is so integral that the suit's speed reduction makes it not worthwhile. Not being able to kite the shadow pieces makes this a much more viable armour for at least one boss fight.

Tanking is usually the fastest strategy (especially with multiple people) when fighting most bosses and it's rather safe with the marble suit. It's also really, really boring. No need to maneuver and time your attacks. There's not even any real gimmick to the fight. Just hold F. Heal. Hold F. Heal. Hold F...

I just really hope that's not the intended design choice...

Archived