How to combat in don't starve together?

I have some experience in don't starve together but I never had the chance to play the single player game because my friend sent me a copy of dst. Because of this I have hard times trying to fight. I recently killed deerclopse solo for the first time on my 2nd try but I did tank it. I also am very unconfident in fighting shadow creatures. Do I just need skill.

In DS and DST you usually kite instead of tanking, meaning you learn the attack patterns of mobs and run around, bait their attack without getting hit by them, and then you run up to them to do 2-3 hits, retreat back to dodge their attack, run around... Rinse and repeat.

Also fair warning: Kiting is significantly harder in DST due to lag. Unless you have a really strong connection with Movement Prediction disabled, or are the host, you'll get hit way more than you'd expect.

If you have plenty of healing items and are drowning in supplies (or smart) then you could just tank something.

15 hours ago, StarmanNess said:

Also fair warning: Kiting is significantly harder in DST due to lag. Unless you have a really strong connection with Movement Prediction disabled, or are the host, you'll get hit way more than you'd expect.

If you have plenty of healing items and are drowning in supplies (or smart) then you could just tank something.

You can kite even with bad connection/high ping so long as prediction is switched off. You just have to predict your movements yourself or simply hit the opponent less times, so, instead of hitting tree guard 4 - 5 times normally, hit him 3 times instead.

Counting time between attacks instead or counting in times when you would do a hit but due to lag or whatever don't, could allow for kiting with some lag as well. Provided you have movement prediction off, you can't do **** with it on. I question the reason for its existence because of it, let alone why it's enabled by default and there being no indication to starting players about it unless they explicitly look for it, which would mean they already know about it anyway most likely.

Just now, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I question the reason for its existence.

It's made to cover up lag. It works for most games. But with the availability of client commands in DST (and possible hacked clients) Klei had to change how it works. In Terraria for example, whatever happens on your side in multiplayer is counted towards the server. That's why when you play with a laggy person you can see them spazzing back and forth. If that was how multiplayer in DST worked, one could simply do c_speedmult(7) and fly through the map. Someone please correct me if any of this information is incorrect.

Just now, Electroely said:

It's made to cover up lag. It works for most games. But with the availability of client commands in DST (and possible hacked clients) Klei had to change how it works. In Terraria for example, whatever happens on your side in multiplayer is counted towards the server. That's why when you play with a laggy person you can see them spazzing back and forth. If that was how multiplayer in DST worked, one could simply do c_speedmult(7) and fly through the map. Someone please correct me if any of this information is incorrect.

Then there's simply no point in it existing.

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

With the rubber-banding and the bad delays in actions... Idk, it's nit mechanically useful nor is it aesthetically that good either.

There are people who actually prefer it on you know. Not only does the game look and feel smoother (as long as you have a decent connection) but the lag in my inputs is just so distracting.

It's pretty much just a personal preference. One is not better then the other. Both options have their pros and cons.

15 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

There are people who actually prefer it on you know. Not only does the game look and feel smoother (as long as you have a decent connection) but the lag in my inputs is just so distracting.

It's pretty much just a personal preference. One is not better then the other. Both options have their pros and cons.

In terms of feel perhaps, but the prediction is certainly inferior mechanic wise. You literally cannot combat well with it on due to the response time and since the game revolves around combat, it is a problem.

8 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

In terms of feel perhaps, but the prediction is certainly inferior mechanic wise. You literally cannot combat well with it on due to the response time and since the game revolves around combat, it is a problem.

I seem to do just fine with it on.

Just now, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

How? Teach me your ways!

It's just that the timing for when you kite and attack is slightly different. I've gotten used to it so the timing with movement prediction off always just gets me killed. This is of course assuming you have a good connection with the server. Personally I avoid servers with a 100+ ping like a plague.

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It's just that the timing for when you kite and attack is slightly different. I've gotten used to it so the timing with movement prediction off always just gets me killed. This is of course assuming you have a good connection with the server. Personally I avoid servers with a 100+ ping like a plague.

Well, that doesn't seem good that you have gotten used to attacking when you should dodge and dodging when you should attack because of what's happening on-screen. If that's what you have to resort to for normal game settings, then when you host, you'll have problems with combat. Really unhealthy, I'd suggest you turn off prediction and practice without it. That's a bad habit you've gained from having prediction on.

Btw, it takes longer to pick up stuff and open chests and such if you have it on.

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Well, that doesn't seem good that you have gotten used to attacking when you should dodge and dodging when you should attack because of what's happening on-screen. If that's what you have to resort to for normal game settings, then when you host, you'll have problems with combat. Really unhealthy, I'd suggest you turn off prediction and practice without it. That's a bad habit you've gained from having prediction on.

I said the timing was slightly different, not backwards. I have no issues hosting or playing on a server (again, with a ping under 100). I think the only unhealthy thing here is how you think the one and only true way is to have movement prediction off. That lag is still gonna be there no matter what you do. It's just a personal preference on how they want to handle it. Do you want the lag to come before (prediction off) or after (prediction on) your actions?

Archived