Is heat transfer bugged?

I've been doing a couple of experiments to try to figure out how heat transfer works in the game, and it seems very inconsistent. Take a look at this screenshot:

Kiw4tQl.jpg

From what I've seen, undisturbed resources emit cold/heat (the default world). I've also seen mined resources give off heat and cold. Example: I deconstructed a research station and the copper on the ground was emitting lots of heat. I also mined some very cold resources from the top of the map, had them brought to a storage compactor, then un-checked the material in the compactor so it spit it out onto the ground, and it immediately made the air around it get very cold. However, when I then set a different compactor to accept the material and had the dupes sweep it to move it to the new compactor location, then ejected it out of that compactor, it no longer affected the air around it, even though the material itself remained very cold. As you can see in the above screenshot, the hot materials on the floor are not affecting the cold air around them. This is completely at odds with some of my other findings. So can anyone explain how exactly heat transfer is working? Or is it randomly bugged at the moment?

Heat transfer from loose items to air (and in general?) seems to require 'nearby action' happening in order to work, probably so as to avoid the CPU usage of the entire asteroid changing temperature constantly.

IE: If you have a 2x2 box of insulated tiles with 1000g of oxygen inside with a 2000c ball of dirt in it, nothing at all will happen. But if you deconstruct a wall of that box and oxygen is increasing/decreasing/flowing around, it'll very quickly start heating everything.

Though a looping air pump doesn't seem to be enough to cause heat transfer to start, so I'm not entirely sure what the exact requirements are for the game to decide something should start being updated.

I would estimate that indeed the heat system is very buggy currently.  I posted a bug report regarding frozen water (ice) globs not unfreezing even when at temperature and was told it should be fixed during the next update (not hotfix).  As such, this leads me to believe that this system is being looked into more thoroughly and we'll get a better fix of these mechanics at that time.

That said, rather than posting these topics in general, I suggest actually searching the bug reports (to see if something similar already exists) and post it there.  No offense intended, but that is kind of the purpose of the bug reports.

Archived