Water boiling question

I finally managed to do it, dug to the core(nearly). Lost some dupes in the process. Rock temperature 300-400 degrees.

Now Im pouring contaminated water from my base into the room and waiting to evaporate.

Steam.png

How about dropping contaminated water near magma > letting the steam rise to a predetermined position not close to your Base > let the steam collect and heat the single layer of natural rock above it > drop more contaminated water onto this single layer and then restart the cycle. The higher areas will naturally condense the steam. This way heat doesn't destroy your Base but your effectively using steam to create more steam? Just spitballin' here.

Can you elaborate? At least with an image? I dont understand the .. single layer of natural rock above it > drop more contaminated water onto this single layer.. part

I mean, what do you think i should do from my last picture(with the 28kg of steam)?

Im moving the steam with pumps right in one of my pure water pools, out of my base, so im not affected by the heat..

I used two

The way to use lava is to let the water cool down the lava in a matter of days.

How to use the battery It proved that it would evaporate all the continuous water supply of about 10g per battery.

I installed 100 batteries to evaporate 1kg of water per second using it, and I got the results as expected.

It is still stable for several decades.

20170303160023_1.jpg

20170305190814_1.jpg

10g/battery? I will stick to the ''lava'' room, then :D

It seems that you made a BIGGER room than mine. I dont see any gas pump, also. 

I guess you let the steam go up, condense and collect it after falling in the box with water pump, dont you?

Master. Do you have a room down near the lava with piping directing the steam to that room near your Base? I'm trying to avoid using pipes as I keep hearing they make a certain percentage of whatevers in dissappear. Also people talk about hydrogen gens being good for heat. Why don't people use the hydrogen converting room and put a contaminated water source above it? Or better yet, pit a pipe outlet above it and drip the water directly on the generator?

20 minutes ago, Speedois said:

Do you have a room down near the lava with piping directing the steam to that room near your Base? 

Yes, i have. :Steam room

I'm trying to avoid using pipes as I keep hearing they make a certain percentage of whatevers in dissappear. 

Really? Didnt know about this. Have you tested it?

Why don't people use the hydrogen converting room and put a contaminated water source above it? Or better yet, pit a pipe outlet above it and drip the water directly on the generator?

I have one hydrogen generator with all my hydrogen gas pumps connected to. This way i keep it fully functional. Building another one with 2/3 pumps(at least) for maximum yield means too much power consumed in the process. Plus the gas pumps needed to catch the steam.

I want, as well, to build a liquid oxygen room, so... 

But, i will try this method when i will expand my base and put more electrolyzers in it.

Maybe i will build a leper colony like i saw in a topic to ensure bigger power production, then do it.  

my new boilerD4BCEDDCCC60CA0835F7C123B76283C929D46C0E

only power cost is getting the power in the batteries not necessary for a full charge. and pumping it in and out.  water comes out at 170 or so  I cant pour the clean water into my base reserve. building a cooling area for decontaminating oxygen wondering if frozen oxygen will cool it better from a drip to conserve on things to build as system synergistic as possible

On 4/3/2017 at 1:18 AM, Mast3r07 said:

I finally managed to do it, dug to the core(nearly). Lost some dupes in the process. Rock temperature 300-400 degrees.

So, uhh, magma kills Dupes?

I know that's a very stupid question, but I kinda clearly remind that when I poured some magma on my guys in Debug-Paint mode their only problem was not breathing.

This happened some patches ago.

I haven't tried doing this yet but I do have some questions based upon everyone's posts. 

The one thing I see is some people struggling to create steam, nearly all setups being the same (horizontal) with water on the floor. Someone said dripping onto hot equipment works best, so I wonder if anyone has tried building a vertical battery farm dripping water from the top over a stack of batteries separated with mesh flooring? Do you think that could that work? 

P. S. I did watch the video above but still with the horizontal battery farms. 

Travin, the water has to sit touching the machine, so that wouldn't work. It would just drop all the way to the ground.
The fastest way is with a hydrogen generator, but people tend to use batteries, because they don't use any resources, and once charged they don't actually ever seem to lose charge if not connected to anything (despite what the tooltip says).
You can just connect up a wheel to a series of batteries, charge them up a tiny bit, and then deconstruct the wheel.
Mine have been holding that tiny spec of charge for well over 200 cycles.

19 hours ago, DuraLex said:

So, uhh, magma kills Dupes?

I know that's a very stupid question, but I kinda clearly remind that when I poured some magma on my guys in Debug-Paint mode their only problem was not breathing.

This happened some patches ago.

I lost dupes due to suffocation. I reached the point they couldnt work because they always had to return for oxygen. So i turned on red alert to finish quick.

I will try later to pour magma on dupes to test if they die or not (as you said).

Archived