Idea: Social Interactions

The hardest thing to manage in any human community, in my opinion, is the social aspect. Here are some suggestions that would drive the game up to the next level of fun:

• Have dupes with different personalities and wants, eg aggressive, peacemaker, loner, carefree, etc that has different effects on their jobs and how they interact with other dupes.
  • If you have too many aggressive dupes, fight might break out often in your colony when stress is high and it damages even more property than the destructive stress response. You want more peacemaking dupes around to quell the quarrels.
  • dupes will make friends with each other, and enemies of each other, being near your friends reduce your stress, and being near your enemies increases stress. This reduces the overreliance on decor pieces to reduce stress. you can't talk about your feelings with a painting or a statue. social networks can be seen with a new Social Overlay that connects people who are part of the same clique.
  • You can throw parties that last throughout the night that will increase everyone's friendship and reduce stress but at the expense of reduced job performance the next day.
  • Friendships can also be built by assigning dupes to different lunch rooms (that can fit a bunch of dupes). Dupes that eat together over time will build friendship.
  • Assigning jobs that don't match the personalities of the dupes will increase Dissent. Dissent is a value that will spread through the dupes friends, and will cause an uprising and protest when it reaches 100%, whereby the group of dupes with 100% dissent will refuse to do work and just protest all day, spreading dissent. On the contrary, if a dupe is happy with his job, he will have a pacifying effect on his social network, that reduces dissent. Building entertainment buildings like VR stations reduces dissent as well.
  • Leaders - Dupes with superior attributes to other dupes will naturally gain leadership points over time. Dupes around the leader dupe will temporarily gain a fraction of the top attribute that the leader has, because the leader was leading by example). But the downside is that if the leader has some dissent, it will spread faster to nearby dupes as well, making it more likely to have an uprising. But if the leader is perfectly happy, he can help calm down dissent and fights by the power of his authority.

I really like the idea of having more interactions between dupes, but given that this is a small colony and jobs are automatically assigned, I would be careful with friction between dupes increasing their stress, or the resultant micromanagement to manage relationships could be more onerous than fun.

Instead, having complementary personality types could just simply provide stress reduction, job performance bonuses or other perks would be easier to manage and still benefit the strategic player

I really like the friendship mechanic. If it helped reduce stress and boost productivity any time they were close proximity to dupes they have high friendship levels with, it would encourage keeping dupes alive rather than kill them off when they become nuisances. killing dupes would mean having to  get the colony to create bonds all over again to gain the benefits. Of course it would be balanced as to not gain too much of a boost.

it would make exploration a tiny bit easier as you have a mobile walking stress relief with them when they venture out of the main base area once there decor values rise to much. It would also make it so you have to strategize in fighting monsters that create high stress as you would want to send a squad of dupes with high friendship levels toward each other that would make the fight a bit easier and bit less costly after the fight is done as you would of gained minimal amount of stress after the fight.

You could go even further and make certain dupes have a trait where they gain extra stress when in combat and the only way to mitigate it would to have them make bonds with dupes. 

edit. I would like to add there could be furniture like a ping pong table or chess where the two dupes involved would increase friendship but would mean wasting time rather than working.

Huh.  That is interesting OP.  I agree that the relationships thing might go too far though.... it would be neat to kind of have them develop their own way of socializing perhaps.  Introverted dupes and extroverted, tranquil or temperamental... maybe make friends/relations randomly and produce child dupes :p  Maybe this defeats the purpose of them being 'dupes?' 

I agree with the squad of dupes though.  It would make things easier for far flung exploration... digger squad goes in, builders entrench, support carries in resources

it could be other game mode. slower time and micromanaging surely included. simplest would be mourning and greeting interactions. they got a bonus on new duplicant arrival, i would love them doing a group hug. and a ceremony on death.

personality types would be nice for variety. i liked optimizing training in football manager. i would like some relationship meter too, even dupe on dupe actions and aging. also combat its like benny hill now, could be a pit fight based on skills like mybrute or tactical turn based like xcom. dupes would enter a combat screen and shoot/hit based on stats. 

making small 1x1 duplicants for like 20 cycle grow up time. some stress reducing diversity like drinking or dupeball. more diverse attributes and training options.

I don't think this game wants to be too much of a duplicant relationship sim. I'd prefer a more passive system where dupes that work/eat/sleep near each other gain friendship points and as they gain higher friendship levels they interact automatically with high fives or hugs that reduce stress. Higher level recreation stations could be based on friendship levels like a card table where two friendly dupes can reduce stress together.

Archived