How the gas filter works?

im not 100% sure but it looks to me from the model of the gas filter that you are currently unable to hook up a pipe to the filtered 'line out' 

i only say this because i too have tried and failed and when i zoom in it looks like the filtered 'line out' looks like nothing more then a gas vent

correct me if im wrong someone! :(

The liquid and gas filters works the same way.

There's 3 connections (aside from power).

The GREEN one is the input from the gas (or liquid) pump.

The WHITE one outputs your selected gas or liquid.

The RED one outputs everything else than the selected gas or liquid.

Note that all 3 connected must be connected to something via pipes or it does not work. Typically the input (GREEN) comes from a pump, and you'll want to use the gas or liquid somewhere else, so you connect the desired output (typically the WHITE one) to what you want to use, and the other (typically the RED one) to a vent somewhere else.

This also means that the same filter can be used to only allow one type of gas or liquid, or by connecting it in reserve you can allow every type of gas or liquid through EXCEPT the one you selected.

I've tried several times setting this up with no success. Other than a bridge,  it's simple setup, straight in and out, the chosen gas to be filtered, output on the purple marker, to a pipe with a single vent. It won't work. I tried without the bridge too, same result.

Below is a screenshot from the build menu watching the animation of gases through the pipe. You see the beige  input gas moving along the pipe into and then out of the filter. No gas comes out of the "filtered gas" output pipe, no animation.

I expected this to work like the water but no joy. I believe I've read with the last update they tried to fix a different bug with this filter, so perhaps they've created a new bug. Unless someone has some ideas. Thanks. 

gas filter 001.jpg

1 minute ago, Travin said:

I've tried several times setting this end with no success. Simple setup, straight in and out, the chosen gas to be filtered, output on the purple marker, to a pipe with a single vent. It won't work. 

Below is a screenshot from the build menu watching the animation of gases through the pipe. You see the beige  input gas moving along the pipe into and then out of the filter. No gas comes out of the "filtered gas" output pipe, no animation.

I expected this to work like the water but no joy. I believe I've read with the last update they tried to fix a different bug with this filter, so perhaps they've created a new bug. Unless someone has some ideas. Thanks. 

gas filter 001.jpg

Biege is... is that pure contaminated oxygen? What were you trying to filer out? Filters cannot rid contaminated oxygen of contamination, it just sorts out mixed gasses. Like if you were pumping both oxygen and h2 into the same pipe but needed to sort it out later.

Granted. If he WERE trying to clean the contaminated oxygen by splitting the oxygen from the... Whatever it is contaminated with (Stank) I would not blame him seeing as how it IS called a filter.

Honestly though, the thing should be called something else; like a Splitter or something. Though I have no issue with calling it a filter, it just seems a little interesting that someone would try and filter oxygen from stank using the 'filter'.

mrbunnyban, I don't understand your response. I can't think of a situation where I would be intentionally sending two specific gases into a pipe, why and how someone would do that.

My experience is that unless in a calm, highly stratified gas filled environment (negating the need to filter them in the first place), they tend to be mixed in a given area.

Perhaps it again is a deceptive interface issue, like the flapping vent animation confusing people. This filter, to my mind,  says it filters out a specific gas from whatever input it's given. The very idea of "contaminated" anything is that something is mixed in with it and you want to filter it out. So if what you're saying is true, it's not a filter. It's a gas separator, and that's not what it's called. 

At any rate, its pretty strange to have a CO2 scrubber and everything else is handled by a filter that doesn't actually filter. 

Considering this environment where pockets are highly stratified, having a filter is pretty useless as you can tunnel into whatever level has the gas you want and extract it, and only it, until it's gone. If it's for human space to filter out specific little bits that are just floating around that's pretty much a waste of energy and resources. 

Yeah. That is exactly what I meant. The name is a little misleading, and to that I find some humor in.

The label of 'filter' for these machines is 'separate', as in an email filter; not filter as in 'clean', as one would expect from a filter- just like the one used in the vent I am looking at right now on my wall.

3 minutes ago, Oatmeal said:

Yeah. That is exactly what I meant. The name is a little misleading, and to that I find some humor in.

The label of 'filter' for these machines is 'separate', as in an email filter; not filter as in 'clean', as one would expect from a filter- just like the one used in the vent I am looking at right now on my wall.

The only place we'd need to "filter"  in that way would be a human environment. So we're expected to use all these resources and electricity in an elaborate system to "filter" these little bitty random floating blobs of mixed gasses that happen to occasionally float by? There's just no way that was the intention, this game is too smart for that. 

5 minutes ago, Travin said:

The only place we'd need to "filter"  in that way would be a human environment. So we're expected to use all these resources and electricity in an elaborate system to "filter" these little bitty random floating blobs of mixed gasses that happen to occasionally float by? There's just no way that was the intention, this game is too smart for that. 

What if you have a system where you want to condense steam into water but don't wanna contaminate that water by accidentally sucking in chlorine gas for example. The air filter (or gas type separator, if you will) is your insurance policy that the system doesn't do something you didn't want it to if you're not constantly watching it.

It would be very difficult to mimic how particles and such actually move around in the real world, and translate that into a game.
[Gonna go all layman below]

In the real world, the air we breathe is a mixture of veeeeeeery tiny particles and such.

In this game, those particles are giant floating bricks due to limitations.

18 minutes ago, Travin said:

mrbunnyban, I don't understand your response. I can't think of a situation where I would be intentionally sending two specific gases into a pipe, why and how someone would do that.

My experience is that unless in a calm, highly stratified gas filled environment (negating the need to filter them in the first place), they tend to be mixed in a given area.

Perhaps it again is a deceptive interface issue, like the flapping vent animation confusing people. This filter, to my mind,  says it filters out a specific gas from whatever input it's given. The very idea of "contaminated" anything is that something is mixed in with it and you want to filter it out. So if what you're saying is true, it's not a filter. It's a gas separator, and that's not what it's called. 

At any rate, its pretty strange to have a CO2 scrubber and everything else is handled by a filter that doesn't actually filter. 

Considering this environment where pockets are highly stratified, having a filter is pretty useless as you can tunnel into whatever level has the gas you want and extract it, and only it, until it's gone. If it's for human space to filter out specific little bits that are just floating around that's pretty much a waste of energy and resources. 

Apparently you did understand my response!  Sorry, I wasn't sure if my guess at your intentions was right so my tone was uncertain, while trying to be factual and not judgmental. Did it somehow come across as judgmental instead? :(

How to get clean air from dirty air
a) The item in the game you want is the Air Deodorizer. For the small cost of consuming sand, the Air Deodorizer will remove pathogens from Contaminated Oxygen, giving you pure oxygen and clay. Sounds good?

b) If you run out of sand... the other way to completely remove pathogens from Contaminated Oxygen is to freeze it to liquid form. The when liquid oxygen converts back to gas, the pathogens are dead and the oxygen is clean and pure.

But do you need to do that?

I should add that Contaminated Oxygen is mostly harmless in the current version of the game in spite of the "very toxic" tag. It will probably be more deadly once we actually have tools for removing diseases and entering toxic environments safely. So it is probably good to get into teh habit of trying to avoid Contaminated Oxygen and process it into clean oxygen.

What is the gas filter used for?
The Gas Filter is often used right now  immediately remove H2 from the mixed air generated by the electrolizer for use in H2 generators. I intend to use the filter to save PIPE usage for my digger team which pumps back various air mixes to my main base through a single, super long air pipe to be processed by my home base.

The name Gas Filter is totally misleading
I guess maybe Gas Sorter may be a better name than Gas Filter, if less pleasing to the ear somehow.

13 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

What if you have a system where you want to condense steam into water but don't wanna contaminate that water by accidentally sucking in chlorine gas for example. The air filter (or gas type separator, if you will) is your insurance policy that the system doesn't do something you didn't want it to if you're not constantly watching it.

So what you're saying is, chlorine is a specific contaminent you want filtered out in a game that doesn't specify what contamination in fact is. BTW, breathable air is contaminated with a mixture of gases and other things. 

If they instead called it "irradiated oxygen" or some other, then separating gases makes sense. But calling it a filter is an intuitive disconnect and figuratively inaccurate. They've got to change the nomenclature or the function. From where I sit, they'd be better off to stick with calling it a filter and have it function  as both a filter and a separator. 

11 minutes ago, Travin said:

So what you're saying is, chlorine is a specific contaminent you want filtered out in a game that doesn't specify what contamination in fact is. BTW, breathable air is contaminated with a mixture of gases and other things.

If they instead called it "irradiated oxygen" or some other, then separating gases makes sense. But calling it a filter is an intuitive disconnect and figuratively inaccurate. They've got to change the nomenclature or the function. From where I sit, they'd be better off to stick with calling it a filter and have it function  as both a filter and a separator.

Just consider it oxygen laced with herpes and ebola.

39 minutes ago, mrbunnyban said:

Apparently you did understand my response!  Sorry, I wasn't sure if my guess at your intentions was right so my tone was uncertain, while trying to be factual and not judgmental. Did it somehow come across as judgmental instead? :(

How to get clean air from dirty air
a) The item in the game you want is the Air Deodorizer. For the small cost of consuming sand, the Air Deodorizer will remove pathogens from Contaminated Oxygen, giving you pure oxygen and clay. Sounds good?

b) If you run out of sand... the other way to completely remove pathogens from Contaminated Oxygen is to freeze it to liquid form. The when liquid oxygen converts back to gas, the pathogens are dead and the oxygen is clean and pure.

But do you need to do that?

I should add that Contaminated Oxygen is mostly harmless in the current version of the game in spite of the "very toxic" tag. It will probably be more deadly once we actually have tools for removing diseases and entering toxic environments safely. So it is probably good to get into teh habit of trying to avoid Contaminated Oxygen and process it into clean oxygen.

What is the gas filter used for?
The Gas Filter is often used right now  immediately remove H2 from the mixed air generated by the electrolizer for use in H2 generators. I intend to use the filter to save PIPE usage for my digger team which pumps back various air mixes to my main base through a single, super long air pipe to be processed by my home base.

The name Gas Filter is totally misleading
I guess maybe Gas Sorter may be a better name than Gas Filter, if less pleasing to the ear somehow.

No, actually, I don't want the deodorizer. I know how that works in an interior space and they work great in a very limited basis. I want a high volume filter attached to the gas pump that will output breathable air.

At this point in the research it's midgame when I'm running out of algae resources, surrounded by lots of contaminated yet breathable air and finally have the electrical infrastructure to support an energy hungry device that will sustain my base so I can push out further, explore and aquire more pressing things, like water. Can't very well do that if my attention is trapped with low volume low tech solutions that keep my base teetering on the precipice. The whole point is technological progression, and this intuitive hiccup isn't in keeping with the game play. 

Just now, Risu said:

Using sand yes. The gas filter uses nothing.

So, sand can be used to filter air in a little mini device but that can't be scaled for higher volume?  We've got three distinct technological phase progression of oxygen generation but biological contamination is limited to a starter set?

BTW, there's nothing in the game that tells us contaminated oxygen means it's only biological. 

At the current moment, in the current build of this pre-alpha game, there is no 'filter' in the sense of what you speak. The only real way is through the deodorizer, and I suppose exploits with things like the airlocks that destroy gas.

There is still a lot left to be added into this game, and things to tweak. More than likely, they will have a deodorizer type of thing in the future for the pipes that you can connect directly.

55 minutes ago, Oatmeal said:

It would be very difficult to mimic how particles and such actually move around in the real world, and translate that into a game.
[Gonna go all layman below]

In the real world, the air we breathe is a mixture of veeeeeeery tiny particles and such.

In this game, those particles are giant floating bricks due to limitations.

They've actually done a really good job with it, just the same. 

6 minutes ago, Oatmeal said:

At the current moment, in the current build of this pre-alpha game, there is no 'filter' in the sense of what you speak. The only real way is through the deodorizer, and I suppose exploits with things like the airlocks that destroy gas.

There is still a lot left to be added into this game, and things to tweak. More than likely, they will have a deodorizer type of thing in the future for the pipes that you can connect directly.

Yes, and that's why I'm talking about it.

No small part of Alpha, or even pre-alpha is a discussion about what does and doesn't work and why. So let's please not try shutting it down as if it's useless crying over how bad the game is made.  I'm talking about it to help make it better, now is the time. 

13 minutes ago, Travin said:

Yes, and that's why I'm talking about it.

No small part of Alpha, or even pre-alpha is a discussion about what does and doesn't work and why. So let's please not try shutting it down as if it's useless crying over how bad the game is made.  I'm talking about it to help make it better, now is the time.

Beta is when that stuff is suppose to be fleshed out. Pre-alpha is seeing if it explodes or not.

Archived