Liquid Pipe Bridge decrease liquid flow by 50%

Hey Guys,

I am confused from this:

All Liquid Pipe Bridges I use cut the liquid flow in half (example in the scrennshot).

If I replace them with normal pipes the flow is 100%. 

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

20170223015833_1.jpg

It is.

Every pipe/chunk in front of the bridge contain 10kg water, after the bridge 1. pipe 10kg water, 2. pipe empty, 3. pipe 10kg water, 4. empty, ...

Also the Water Purifier stutter - without the bridge they produce non-stop.

If I remove the bridge from the water pipes and add it to the cont.water -> clean water is fine but same problem with cont.water as discribed for water above (1 full, 2 empty, 3full, 4 empty, ...).

As far as I'm concerned, this is a bug, or at least some programming code that needs to be changed as soon as possible. I, too was rather unhappy when I first used a pipe bridge and noticed the contents of each pipe "wait their turn before crossing the intersection", even though there's no intersection of pipes.

IMO, the entire plumbing/liquids/gasses system needs reworked. Gas and liquids should be pumped in a steady flow, not "one blob at a time". Also the amount being pumped is ridiculously small when you use a liquid pump to try to pump water from one reservoir to another. It literally just comes out a drop at a time.

Liquid volumes are not kept track of correctly (if at all). People have complained about losing water volume when pumping through pipes, or even just digging a hole so water flows from one room to another.

On 2/23/2017 at 7:46 PM, Targa_X said:

Liquid volumes are not kept track of correctly (if at all). People have complained about losing water volume when pumping through pipes, or even just digging a hole so water flows from one room to another.

This is also very noticeable if you mix the two liquids (losing liquid mass that is, not so much volume). I think on my third or fourth game, it occurred to me that, with a pump and filter I should be able to just store both in the same reservoir. I could just get all colonists who vomit, install permeable floors, and have a constant flow of contaminated water into the reservoir. This didn't go so well. When I broke a contaminated water deposit above, and let it flow into the base, the trickle of water from high elevation caused some extremely tall and rather persistent splashes in the reservoir. And I noticed that gradually, the level was being reduced from the addition, instead of increased. When I looked more closely, I saw that somewhere in the turbulence was a tile that persistently had 2500 kg and up of water. I'm thinking perhaps it was being removed because there was too much in the tile.

I have two problems with this. First of all, the very underlying fluid mechanics of the game should present an interface to the rest of the code which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to destroy fluids in ANY WAY when they're not supposed to be. Likewise for the pipes, not just for fluids in the environment, I'm sure both things are quite distinct technically, but they both destroy fluids and they both should be literally incapable of doing so. There should never be ANY conditions where fluids are destroyed. The only conceivable excuse for fluids to be destroyed, is if there's an integer overflow error from squeezing over 2,147,483,648 kg into a single tile (or even more if it's not an int). Both the environment fluid physics and the pipe behavior should make it impossible.

This is obvious, but liquid water is relatively incompressible, so in reality density would never be significantly higher than 1 kg per m^3. It could be lower, if it was pushed to critical point it can go down to 0.322, but I don't think it can be higher. If it gets higher, that indicates a problem to be addressed, but destroying fluids should not be considered acceptable, even if the alternative is fluid exploding all over the base. Nothing could be worse than losing materials. I'm okay with mechanics that more deliberately consume fluids, but not with pipe & environment fluid physics that destroys them whenever it's convenient.

Archived