Volt goat relocation.

Yesterday in my world I decided to try relocate 2 volt goats by making use of a telocator staff and a telocator focus in my base as the volt goat herd in my world is literally at the polar opposite end of the world to my base. Anyway i successfully trapped them in a pen in my base but im just not sure if this worked. What i am not sure about is if they will start a new herd spawn point (will new volt goats spawn in that pen) they seem to run infinitely towards the wall of the pen that faces the side of the map where the original herd came from so im not sure if they still belong to their old herd or if they will start spawning new volt goats over time? 

I know the traditional method involves slowly herding them to your base and stopping frequently to wait for the herd location to move as chasing them for big distances ends up with them just running back as the spawn point wont move unless you stop frequently and wait for the spawn to ****.

anyway has anyone tried this method of using the telecator staff? Just not sure if i wasted my time and some purple gems for nothimg or if it will work or not?

30 minutes ago, jantonio said:

To the best my knowledge, the telocater does not work for moving a herd. As you said, moving them slowly is the only way, as I did this in my solo world in dst, it takes a long time but it is worth it tbh.

Dam I was afraid of this. Because the volt goat herd is leterally at the complete opposite end of the world to my base and my world is also set to big :/

So i'm not sure but someone said that killing the others members of the herd could let the last volt goat "relocate" the herd. Better to wait for someone to confirm, but maybe an option if you are ready to kill the others members.

19 minutes ago, Lumina said:

So i'm not sure but someone said that killing the others members of the herd could let the last volt goat "relocate" the herd. Better to wait for someone to confirm, but maybe an option if you are ready to kill the others members.

I have 2 volt goats in my pen by my base. Are you saying if i go kill the rest of them the 2 by my base will become the new herd/spawn point? Need some really certain assurance before i try this because scared i destroy my volt goat herd forever and have no more goats in my world

1 hour ago, Spyro1 said:

I have 2 volt goats in my pen by my base. Are you saying if i go kill the rest of them the 2 by my base will become the new herd/spawn point? Need some really certain assurance before i try this because scared i destroy my volt goat herd forever and have no more goats in my world

I'm not sure, i heard of it but never tried it myself. So it's better to wait, yes :)

2 hours ago, Spyro1 said:

No, they won't become the new herd, the herd spawn point will not move, To relocate a herd, you need to kill all the goats except for 1 and slowly scare it towards your base. You need to stop once in a while to check if the goat is trying to go back or just wandering randomly. If it's just running back, you failed. I suggest waiting for winter for longer nights and pushing it at night when it sleeps or having a friend constantly putting it to sleep with pan flute/sleepytime stories, but that can get expensive. Pushing them is slow enough to move the herd spawnpoint without ever stopping though.

I've a volt goat related question too. Our world kind of started with the volt goats extinct or they just spawned so close to dragonfly that by the time we found any they were all dead. Anyway we used a console command to spawn 6 of them in a pen. And maximum of 6 of them spawns if we kill all but one. Is there a way to make more of them spawn or since we spawned 6 at first the herd will only grow up to 6 forever?

29 minutes ago, Hobgoblino said:

I suggest waiting for winter for longer nights and pushing it at night when it sleeps or having a friend constantly putting it to sleep with pan flute/sleepytime stories

I think an ice staff would work as well and is much cheaper since you can just hit it every time it starts thawing.

10 minutes ago, Myself49 said:

I've a volt goat related question too. Our world kind of started with the volt goats extinct or they just spawned so close to dragonfly that by the time we found any they were all dead. Anyway we used a console command to spawn 6 of them in a pen. And maximum of 6 of them spawns if we kill all but one. Is there a way to make more of them spawn or since we spawned 6 at first the herd will only grow up to 6 forever?

I'm pretty sure that's normal, 6 goats should be the herd limit.

57 minutes ago, Myself49 said:

Is it possible to sort of multiply the herds? Like, can't I make two herds of six out of my one herd of six?

No, you are stuck with as many herds you got during world gen, and if you or something murders a whole herd, it's gone forever...

33 minutes ago, pofil said:

No, you are stuck with as many herds you got during world gen, and if you or something murders a whole herd, it's gone forever...

Interesting. I seem to have 2 herds right on top of each other. Coz theres around 12 volt goats in this herd so i am guessing that there are 2 herd points together then? Question is how would i move them? As mentioned above in this thread that the process of moving them involves killing all but one but if i kill all but one then i would have completely killed off one of the herds. So how do i differentiate between the 2 herds when they are right by each other? 

2 minutes ago, Spyro1 said:

Interesting. I seem to have 2 herds right on top of each other. Coz theres around 12 volt goats in this herd so i am guessing that there are 2 herd points together then? Question is how would i move them? As mentioned above in this thread that the process of moving them involves killing all but one but if i kill all but one then i would have completely killed off one of the herds. So how do i differentiate between the 2 herds when they are right by each other? 

It's not absolutely necessary to kill all but one, it's just more convenient. Anyway, what I'd suggest is wall of approximately half of them while they sleep and try to chase the rest away during the day. Statistically speaking you should then have one spawner inside the pen and one outside. By chasing them around during day and killing a few, you should be able to separate them.

P.S. Statistics can be a **tch

17 minutes ago, pofil said:

It's not absolutely necessary to kill all but one, it's just more convenient. Anyway, what I'd suggest is wall of approximately half of them while they sleep and try to chase the rest away during the day. Statistically speaking you should then have one spawner inside the pen and one outside. By chasing them around during day and killing a few, you should be able to separate them.

P.S. Statistics can be a **tch

Have you actually tested this? When I looked into the code for herds about a year ago, I don't recall any possible way that you can split a herd in two. They might have changed things since then. 

Copy-pasting from my album:

I also learned a lot about goat herds. Goats cluster around an assigned and invisible herd object. The location of the herd object is constantly moving depending on the average location of all the goats assigned to it, but there's also a maximum distance that a goat can affect its relocation. So the best way to move a herd is to kill all of the members except one, then slowly move the one goat to your new location waiting every ~20 blocks until it's apparent that the herd object relocated. This is infinitely easier in DST now that goats actually run away from you.

This actually has pretty good benefits though. You can get the goats in the area you want, then teleport a single goat far away to be the seed/momma goat. That way, you can kill all of the goats in your pen and the momma goat will keep on poppin' those babies out. Plus you don't have to worry about Deerclops killing all of them. 

I got this seed goat idea from Joshy Spaghetti. I'd tag him, but I'm not sure what his klei username is.

4 minutes ago, BluesyBuesy said:

Have you actually tested this? When I looked into the code for herds about a year ago, I don't recall any possible way that you can split a herd in two. They might have changed things since then

My post isn't about splitting one herd in two but rather splitting two herds that are in the same place. Unless I misread, that is what @Spyro1 was asking.

As for duplicating herds, as far as I know it's impossible.

Archived