i have no idea how to deal with bosses

4 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

Yes, and some options are more time-efficient than others.

And you say fighting yourself is always more time-efficient than others? Here, time efficiency: I will wait for you to bring me a face combat way to kill this being more time efficient. Gunpowder?

jDjcapyex.jpg

Also, there is not only time-efficiency. There is also resources efficiency. You say tanking deerclops is more efficient than feeding him to a couple of tentacles/tallbirds/treeguards. But you don't count the time and amount of resources you use making equipment + healing + sanity regen + making new equipment after the fight. In this run I killed deerclops by the start of the next day after he respawned, and I lost minimum HP and equipment % by killing him after he visited the tallbirds. 30+ meat and eyeball is such a cool drop, as well as saving me possible time in the future looking for meat.

Again, that's the cool thing in this game. You have options and variety of playing style. Your tankie-tank strategy is only one more of them, but it is not better than any other.

On 1/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, mochilo said:

The other trick is, make them respawn close to the Dragonfly and try them to fight each other. That's an easy way to deal with giants, but be prepared to recive a couple of hits trying them to aggro each other if you are not lucky. Some armor and a bit of HP recovery foods should be enough

giant on giant combat is definitely the most entertaining. but a grand giant on giant on giant melee is the greatest.

bleed for the glory of the host!

step one:  locate the dragonfly.

step two: when the bearger spawns either lead him toward the dragonfly with a trail of edibles (rot and monster meat work well) or aggro him and run. leave area.

step three: when the deerclops spawns either be ready and relatively close to the dragonfly or be ready to aggro deerclops and led him to the dragonfly.

step four: the bearger will be hibearnating in winter so while the deerclops is closing in (i like to build a throwaway structure near the dragonfly for the deerclops to destroy) i wake up the bearger and start running around the area until the dragonfly starts fighting one or both of them.

they never notice me after i start this grand melee. then i just finish off the dragonfly and cart all the loot back to my base.

2 hours ago, mochilo said:

wooo @hkhm that sounds awesome! I thought bearger would despawn after autumn :o

nah, he hibernates during winter and spring and is awake for summer and autumn.

i have lured over a moosegoose to the bearger/dragonfly melee in spring. i have a setup where there are two nests near the desert entrance but i never seem to get a spring where they both spawn a moosegoose. i'd love to overwhelm the dragonfly with other giants someday.

(takes deep breath)  Okay.  About all the "This tactic is WRONG" and "You're being _afraid_" stuff...

Does it really.

Matter.

As long.

As you LIVE?!

Seriously:  Stop shaming others' playstyles.  There is no purely, objectively, RIGHT way to play the game. There just isn't.  There's playstyles YOU _prefer_ more, but that doesn't necessarily make them "better".  Let people do what works for them and don't insinuate they're a coward for it.  If you insist that people can only ever deal with mobs by direct fighting, then...if they're new, and they CAN'T do that because they're not good enough yet...chances are they might never GET good enough for it, 'cos they'll quit out of frustration.  You need to spend _time_ with any game to get its rhythms and timings, and if you die on the first hound attack that won't happen. 

Which is worse:  Cutting your teeth on luring hounds to the beefalo (not giants, though--for one thing, it usually doesn't even work) and _then_ gradually changing over to direct melee as you get more confident with your combat abilities...or not playing at all?  Yes, yes, I know:  "unforgiving".  That doesn't mean you should chase away new players by insulting their tactics!  "Unforgiving" means the game is difficult--not regimented.

The fact that Don't Starve HAS such a variety of ways you can tackle problems is one of the _best_ things about it.  It is an awesome, not a weakness.

Let people play in their own ways, and they might live long enough to awesome too.

(also trickery is seriously way the hell more fun.)

...Notorious

On 1/5/2017 at 4:47 PM, LIMAX said:

well,i'm not too noob.I can survive a lot if bosses dont come.When deerclops comes,im not fighting him because hes strong and i dont want to risk.So he kills all the mobs near me like beefalo.When bearger arrives,im not fighting with him too,so he destroyes all my bee boxes and eats my food.The dragonfly light my base and thigs like that...What should i do?? Can you help me? Thanks in advance ;D

Many ways to fight bosses.

Deerclops is the boss with the most options to fight him.  

- kite: dodge and swipe (I personally don't like this)

- tank: make several log suits (like 3), a pig helmet, a spear/tentacle spike, and just start hitting him endlessly.  (this is my favorite style because it deals with him quick)

- lead him to a tentacle area (those tentacles will deal some serious damage to him)

- blow darts can do serious damage to him

- tooth traps are nice (though I prefer blow darts)

-gun powder (though it can burn the loot, so try not to use too much)

You can't lead the Goose anywhere because she tends to want to stay near her egg/babies.  Though kiting and tanking works well for her.  

The Bearger is one you don't want to tank.  It can put you to sleep with a roar and attack you.  The best thing is to kite it, blow darts, gun powder, or leading it to tentacles.  

The Dragonfly is annoying because of her larvae.  Build an Ice Flingomatic for her larvae, and build log suits/marble suits to tank her.  You can also use a weather pain, or blow darts.  You can use a lot of gun powder because her loot won't burn up.  Tooth traps won't work on it.

Archived