Is it bad form for me to update and re-publish an abandoned mod?

Suppose there's a mod on the Steam Workshop that I really like, and a game update causes the mod to stop working. The mod hasn't been updated in several months, and the mod creator doesn't seem to notice anyone's comments about offering to help fix it. Would I be out of line to fix the mod myself and re-publish it to the Steam Workshop? I would obviously give credit to the original author. What else would I need to do to not be perceived as a thieving jerk?

It'd be best if you had the original author's permission.

If that's not available, then check for inactivity to exceed about a month from a mod breaking; some people may have other things taking up their time and cannot push a fix/change in a timely manner but do plan on doing so when a time arrives.

If they haven't responded in that much time, then consider their mod abandoned and continue working on it and reupload, giving credit to the original author(s) and with the reason as to why you're taking over the reins with any evidence that may be relevant.

Anyone attacking you for stealing or such can look at your actions and see you're doing it in good faith.

From your post the author isn't responding and hasn't touched it in months, though ensure the mod hasn't worked in about a month to give the author time to fix it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you want to do as long as you give credit, I see many people make mods then all of a sudden vanish never to be seen again & it sucks because it happens a lot... So, other people updating the mods is really great :)!