Speargun Nerf

Anyone notice how overpowered the speargun is? It does 100 with each hit, it has 8 uses, and isn't hard to make, and spears are easy to make. It's too overpowered. A nerf like only 50 damage each hit, only 5-6 uses, or it takes more durability from the spear players use the speargun with can make this weapon a balanced weapon than virtually Don't Starve Shipwrecked's version of a gun (over-powered projectile).DSS Speargun.png

Spearguns are supposed to counteract the awefull melee seacombat that's why they are rather powerfull.

Also you ignored 2 crucial parts of the speargun. For one you have to pick the spear back up after each shot or waste precious ressources making new ones (what also clutter up the inventory). And the fact that each shot out of the speargun takes away 10% durability of the spear.

TBH they are pretty balanced from my point of view cause even thou you could make a lot of them the problem arises with the very limited amount of flint you got to work with. Flint you could be using on tools rather then more spears. So really a nerf isn't needed because the limited ressources in SW basicly do the balancing for you.

6 hours ago, SomeSurvivalist said:

Anyone notice how overpowered the speargun is? It does 100 with each hit, it has 8 uses, and isn't hard to make, and spears are easy to make. It's too overpowered. A nerf like only 50 damage each hit, only 5-6 uses, or it takes more durability from the spear players use the speargun with can make this weapon a balanced weapon than virtually Don't Starve Shipwrecked's version of a gun (over-powered projectile).DSS Speargun.png

its not OP. once you shot you gotta grab ur spear and reload its not a fast weapon like melee combat you can do far more damage with melee combat in same time. There are a lot of sea mobs that can easily stunlock you. I think its attack is fair.

On 5/23/2016 at 0:02 AM, Mr.P said:

Spearguns are supposed to counteract the awefull melee seacombat that's why they are rather powerfull.

Also you ignored 2 crucial parts of the speargun. For one you have to pick the spear back up after each shot or waste precious ressources making new ones (what also clutter up the inventory). And the fact that each shot out of the speargun takes away 10% durability of the spear.

TBH they are pretty balanced from my point of view cause even thou you could make a lot of them the problem arises with the very limited amount of flint you got to work with. Flint you could be using on tools rather then more spears. So really a nerf isn't needed because the limited ressources in SW basicly do the balancing for you.

M8 I have 4 spearguns with spears on day 6. Also don't starve isn't nice. You gotta have enemies overpowered than you, that's how game is like.

3 hours ago, SomeSurvivalist said:

M8 I have 4 spearguns with spears on day 6. Also don't starve isn't nice. You gotta have enemies overpowered than you, that's how game is like.

*raises eyebrow*

I don't think you get the idea of Don't Starve. It's an uncompromiseable survival game not a bulls**t one. Are the strong enemys in the game? Yes but there is always a way to deal with them in one way or another. There is no true OP monster everything can be killed by just wits and preperations. Really I doubt we would see people surviving 1000+ days with all the high quality items if there was an OP monster in the game.

And again just cause you got 4 spearguns means nothing. It might look good day 6 but day 100+ you rather not spend the flint making new spears just to make more because you might need it for a new axe to keep the darkness at bay.

Again they might look good early on but the later it gets the worse they get because you run out of ammo sooner or later. Unless you fuel them with obsidian spears that is.

5 hours ago, Mr.P said:

*raises eyebrow*

I don't think you get the idea of Don't Starve. It's an uncompromiseable survival game not a bulls**t one. Are the strong enemys in the game? Yes but there is always a way to deal with them in one way or another. There is no true OP monster everything can be killed by just wits and preperations. Really I doubt we would see people surviving 1000+ days with all the high quality items if there was an OP monster in the game.

And again just cause you got 4 spearguns means nothing. It might look good day 6 but day 100+ you rather not spend the flint making new spears just to make more because you might need it for a new axe to keep the darkness at bay.

Again they might look good early on but the later it gets the worse they get because you run out of ammo sooner or later. Unless you fuel them with obsidian spears that is.

^^^^exactly

9 hours ago, SomeSurvivalist said:

Overpowered? What the hell.

You know why I still play Don't Starve while games such as, say, Nuclear Throne exhausted me when I got good? Because its fair. It rewards knowledge. You can kite like a charm? The game rewards that. 

And how are the spearguns op? you got 1 use of each of these spearguns unless you run to the thing you shot at to pick up the spears again, and even then, the damage isn't that significiant for bosses. 

On 5/23/2016 at 9:25 AM, SomeSurvivalist said:

I rarely use the speargun. The biggest issue is that it cannot be stacked. It takes way too many storage/inventory space to be practical.

1) A battle/obsidian spear loaded speargun can 1 shot prime ape so that is one way to get rid of the 1~2 apes following you.

2) 4 shot to kill tallbird. 

3) 2 shot to kill Mactusk

4) I guess it can also be useful in ROG roaming and hurting koalefant.

Archived