Obsidian Firepit vs. Chimnea

hyiltiz

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

obsidian is way better if you use flooring. Fuel efficiency is better under rain and wind than the chimenea.

Flooring? To prevent flooding, I assume? When there is strong wind, how long 1 log can burn for obsidian firepit and chimnea? How about under strong rain?

24 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Flooring? To prevent flooding, I assume? When there is strong wind, how long 1 log can burn for obsidian firepit and chimnea? How about under strong rain?

I can tell for sure that you only need 3-4 logs for the Obsidian Fire Pit to get you through a very stormy night (Hurricane Season mostly). 

The Wiki confirms:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Obsidian_Fire_Pit

It lasts 3 times as long as a Campfire and 1.5 times as long as a Fire Pit, while also emitting a much larger light radius, making this the most effective and resource-friendly fire.

If you wanna make the experiment for yourself, you can generate a new world and use console commands to compare them one to one 

Besides, the light radius is just ridiculous compared to any source of light in DS.

37 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Flooring(man made turf) cannot have puddles spawn on it. They can spread, but not spawn on it. 

Obsidian Firepit, other than it being capable of being flooded, is the god of fire pits. 

As Freya said, the light radius is INSANE(Sometimes I don't if it's day or night because of how much light that thing gives off), and it also doesnt even cost that much obsidian. First trip to volcano(If you can't find Obsidian beforehand), explode obsidian boulders(they respawn), get enough for fire packim(9) and enough for obsidian firepit(8 i think), and you're perfect. Also volcano staff is fantastic for obsidian farming. 

In terms of fuel consumption, strong winds effect neither, and chiminea is a bit more efficient in heavy rain and functions when flooded. (With small amounts of rain obsidian fire pit is still more efficient)

Outside of heavy rain and flooding, obsidian firepit is better than any other light source in terms of light radius and fuel efficiency. With max fuel, the light radius extends to 1.5 screens away, allowing you to work around your base (or wherever else you've put this) like it is day time. There is no beating that.

In my bases I keep both (plus endothermic fire pit). Chiminea is only there as a backup, in case things go very wrong, but I never had to use it so far. 

6 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Flooring(man made turf) cannot have puddles spawn on it. They can spread, but not spawn on it. 

Obsidian Firepit, other than it being capable of being flooded, is the god of fire pits. 

As Freya said, the light radius is INSANE(Sometimes I don't if it's day or night because of how much light that thing gives off), and it also doesnt even cost that much obsidian. First trip to volcano(If you can't find Obsidian beforehand), explode obsidian boulders(they respawn), get enough for fire packim(9) and enough for obsidian firepit(8 i think), and you're perfect. Also volcano staff is fantastic for obsidian farming. 

Hey I didn't know they respawn. How do the obsidian boulders respawn and the rate of it?

16 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Hey I didn't know they respawn. How do the obsidian boulders respawn and the rate of it?

No clue on the rate, but they do. You dont really have to have them. 

But really the most efficient is get ice, volcano staff, use staff on obsidian boulders, extinguish the lava pools, and pickup the obsidian from extinguished lava pools and obsdiain boulders.

I would even say use the Lava Freezer mod for maximum convience(Lets ice staff extinguish the lava pools instead of having to use ice. Faster, and ranged so you don't get hurt, as little as the damage would be.).

18 hours ago, stl1234 said:

In terms of fuel consumption, strong winds effect neither, and chiminea is a bit more efficient in heavy rain and functions when flooded. (With small amounts of rain obsidian fire pit is still more efficient)

Outside of heavy rain and flooding, obsidian firepit is better than any other light source in terms of light radius and fuel efficiency. With max fuel, the light radius extends to 1.5 screens away, allowing you to work around your base (or wherever else you've put this) like it is day time. There is no beating that.

In my bases I keep both (plus endothermic fire pit). Chiminea is only there as a backup, in case things go very wrong, but I never had to use it so far. 

I'm pretty sure that the obsidian fire pit is more fuel efficient under strong winds and in heavy rain than the chiminea

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I'm pretty sure that the obsidian fire pit is more fuel efficient under strong winds and in heavy rain than the chiminea

True for strong winds, because obsidian fire pit uses fuels 1.5 times more efficiently, and neither are affected by strong winds.

False for heavy rain, because while obsidian fire pit uses fuels 1.5 times more efficiently, it also uses up to 5 times as much fuel (depending on the rate) in the rain. Chiminea is unaffected by the rain. So with max rain, same fuel would last three times as much as in the chiminea. 

Rain intensity varies by the season, any rain in Mild and Hurricane season have 50% chance to make chiminea slightly more efficient. During monsoon season, chiminea is 2 to 3 times more efficient in fuel consumption during rain.

IMO, despite consuming more fuel, the light radius makes it worthwhile even in monsoon rains. Light radius per fuel unit (which is 2-3 times larges depending on the size of the fire) makes obsidian fire pit a winner regardless of the season.

Archived