Dry season bad? Just live in the volcano

hyiltiz

All you need is a birdcage, endothermic firepit, and a pitch fork.

Kill dragoons for monster meat (and heart!), turn those into eggs to cook meatballs (or better if you can). Use leftovers for appeasing: 4 eggs = 1 doydoy feather. Pretty good deal. Altar seems to like doydoy feather as much as something close to meatballs. Once you keep appeasing, it won't actually overheat you anyway, and is very safe.

For what? Free coffee all season. No hassle to transplant them. After all, it only took you an extra birdcage.

This is a reasonable tactic for people who do not want/need more rocks, flint and obsidian. I'm currently doing this in my game, to get past my 5th dry season.

If anyone attempts this, couple of things to keep in mind:

1. You need a renewable source of fuel. I brought some jungle turf and jungle tree seeds up to the volcano, and I'm using them. Which also give me eggs/bananas and monster meat through snakes (although snakes seem to be very rare for some reason)
  2. You need a crockpot unless playing with webber.
  3. Endothermic fire pit works to some degree, but you need more overheating protection to be able to move away from the pit and kill dragoons. I use an ice box and thermal stones. Keep in mind that 1 or two is not enough. You need to average at least about 6 dragoons per day to be able to feed yourself and the volcano.
    1. You don't have to limit this to dragoons, bringing up spider eggs and  putting it near some elephant cactus also supplements monster meat production.
  4. If you want to have (or couldn't prevent) an eruption (which works well for harvesting obsidian boulders), keep in mind that during the eruption, and after it until the ashes clear, the temperature in the volcano will increase (similar to getting near the central pool of lava). And when I mean increase, I mean ice cold thermal stones becoming glowing red hot in mere seconds kind of increase. During the eruption you won't be able to get back to your endothermic fire pit as well, and thermal stones don't work for the reason above, so you need something else for cooling. I'm yet to try chilling amulet, which should work, but that means sacrificing body armor (not recommended given most turf in the volcano is dark colored). After the eruption staying near the endothermic fire pit under a palm leaf hut (not sure if it is required) is enough protection, but you'll still overheat instantly if you try to walk away from it.
  5. Last thing is sanity, if you are going to stay at the top of the volcano for the entire season. There are no free sanity boosters on the volcano, like seashells or flowers, so you need be prepared.

5 hours ago, stl1234 said:

This is a reasonable tactic for people who do not want/need more rocks, flint and obsidian. I'm currently doing this in my game, to get past my 5th dry season.

1. You need a renewable source of fuel. I brought some jungle turf and jungle tree seeds up to the volcano, and I'm using them. Which also give me eggs/bananas and monster meat through snakes (although snakes seem to be very rare for some reason)
  3. Endothermic fire pit works to some degree, but you need more overheating protection to be able to move away from the pit and kill dragoons. I use an ice box and thermal stones. Keep in mind that 1 or two is not enough. You need to average at least about 6 dragoons per day to be able to feed yourself and the volcano.
    1. You don't have to limit this to dragoons, bringing up spider eggs and  putting it near some elephant cactus also supplements monster meat production.
  4. If you want to have (or couldn't prevent) an eruption (which works well for harvesting obsidian boulders), keep in mind that during the eruption, and after it until the ashes clear, the temperature in the volcano will increase (similar to getting near the central pool of lava). And when I mean increase, I mean ice cold thermal stones becoming glowing red hot in mere seconds kind of increase. During the eruption you won't be able to get back to your endothermic fire pit as well, and thermal stones don't work for the reason above, so you need something else for cooling. I'm yet to try chilling amulet, which should work, but that means sacrificing body armor (not recommended given most turf in the volcano is dark colored). After the eruption staying near the endothermic fire pit under a palm leaf hut (not sure if it is required) is enough protection, but you'll still overheat instantly if you try to walk away from it.
  5. Last thing is sanity, if you are going to stay at the top of the volcano for the entire season. There are no free sanity boosters on the volcano, like seashells or flowers, so you need be prepared.

Very good advice! For the 4th, I do use chilled amulet for the period, but making endothermic fire at the highest and staying right next to it also seems enough (without the palm leaf hut). Sanity should also be considered, since you will be having lots of coffee.

32 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

you will be having lots of coffee.

Well not really. Coffee is for going to places, and there isn't anywhere to go on top of the volcano. But I guess it could come in handy to make a trip back to the base or exploring nearby area quickly and getting back to the altar before the next eruption could work.

6 hours ago, stl1234 said:

For #4,  I just used chilled amulets, and spent the time after an eruption collecting all the fresh drops and killing the occasional dragoon. Ended the dry season with something like 80 coffee plants (think I might have overdone it a little...), 15 dragoon hearts, 50 obsidian, 50 gold and countless stone, flint and nitre.

Think I used about half a dozen amulets over the course of the dry season, but I was using them a good bit between eruptions as well, to keep my productivity up.

8 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Hold on, dragoon eggs can land on the volcano itself? Don't eruptions in volcano just HEAVILY increase your body temprature, and that's it?

9 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

What is an inside volcano base good for then? 

• Proximity to altar
  • Proximity to obsidian workbench (and dragoons are near, so easier to bring hearts to the workbench)
  • Free-light at night.
  • No hound attacks.

On 16/4/2016 at 0:20 AM, stl1234 said:

After the eruption staying near the endothermic fire pit under a palm leaf hut (not sure if it is required) is enough protection, you'll still overheat instantly if you try to walk away from it.

The Palm Leaf Hut will not change anything if you are next to an Endothermic Fire Pit. You should try Floral Shirt, it is extremely easy to craft in SW and give a huge Overheating protection. Dumbrella is good too but harder to get. Equip a Chilling Amulet to cool down and switch back to Overheating Protection and you can stay mobile even after an eruption.

Archived