Suggestion: Obsidian Obelisk to control monkeys

Fledge

I have watched some YouTuber game play of the silly monkey ball when it worked inside chests - holding all the monkeys captive under its hypnotic power indefinitely! - and I can see why that got patched, it was way too powerful for such an easily crafted item. But I noticed that when you logged back into the game, all the monkeys were hooting in unison, which made it sound like a really weird chant, as if they were worshipping the chest/ball. This put me in mind of the Monolith in 2001: Space Odyssey. And the game already has obsidian! What about bringing back such control over monkeys, but at a much later stage and higher price? If players could craft an Obsidian Obelisk that acted the same as the monkey-ball-in-chest - but without a durability penalty - that would be so cool (and creepy). Maybe allow the attraction to fall off during dusk, and be completely off at night (when they can't see it), so the monkeys can disperse a little, but will be drawn back during the daytime. I don't think it would break the game the way the ball in chest did because it would be so late-stage the players would already have plenty of resources (they could just keep making monkey balls, for example) - it would just be an additional, slightly more powerful tool. Possibly the obelisk could look more like a statue - a sort of Easter Island face - of Maxwell, to be more in theme. I know some players will probably say 'what's the point, we have the monkey balls' but it's just a fun idea because I liked the "worshipping" monkeys :)

If you're worried about the monkeys stealing the ball before you're able to wall it in, you can always just build the walls and then throw it in :) I like the idea of an Odyssey reference, but at this point I think the devs are content that the Silly Monkey Ball is a reasonable solution.

Archived