Smart Doydoys?

hyiltiz

Well, doydoy are not smart. What I mean here, actually, is doydoys that simply cultivate by themselves without human intervention. I am not sure if that is possible, and whether it was supposed to be so.

For example, the islands that doydoys spawn are usually safe with nothing hostile in them. How about putting both doydoys in one of those islands then you live in an island next to it, frequently visiting them to make sure game updates these regions. So, the doydoys will mate, and fall into Fibbonacci sequence. Should we, however, take care of baby doydoys who only eat seeds, and therefore might actually die of starvation (then it will be eaten by its parents!!!), or we don't have to do anything, and they will keep cultivating (like Beefalos)?

33 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

spawn are usually safe with nothing hostile in them.

That hasn't been my experience so far. In one game, Doydoy set piece was half a screen away from a marsh.

Once you put them together, they will take care of the rest. Doydoys do not starve when not in inventory, so they won't die of starvation unless you pick them up.

Also, Fibbonacci isn't involved here, the entire herd makes nests one at a time. I've not personally tried it, but it may be possible to speed up the process by picking the eggs from the nest, then waiting doydoys to mate again, then placing it back in the nest. It should theoretically be possible, but it is pretty high maintenance.

So wait, according to what you said, once I put the two doydoy birds together, they take care of the rest themselves? I saw a baby doydoy hatched, then I could not find it again; presumably dead due to not being able find seeds to eat?

They do not need to be fed. If doydoys are not in an enclosed space, it probably wandered off somewhere. Small ones can be especially hard to find in a dense jungle. Otherwise, it may have died for a number of reasons, possibly eaten by snakes. It may also have grown up, so maybe there is no baby to find anymore.

You should put them in some small, but not too small, walled off area. Otherwise, they won't be finding each other easily to mate.

I've posted this on another thread, here, take a look at my den. I just put 2 of them together in this pen, and I just walk by every few days to pickup feathers left from mating, or just to harvest a couple doydoys. 20160411193806_1.jpg

Just now, hyiltiz said:

You mean mighty Wolfgang is the most hostile thing?

The Sharkitten den is on the left most side, 1/3 of the way down from the top.

Given Tiger Shark is hostile to everything except the player by default... well, you do the math.

Just now, stl1234 said:

The Sharkitten den is on the left most side, 1/3 of the way down from the top.

Given Tiger Shark is hostile to everything except the player by default... well, you do the math.

Ouch! Didn't spot that Sandy Pile!

Archived