Is there a reason why Whales drop raw fish?

Greetings KleiForumCapy Members. ^__^

Whales are marine mammals, like the Seal(nado) and he drops Meat,

but the Blue- and White Whales drop Raw Fish at the moment, what does not make that much sense.

Raw Fish is less useful than Meat, because of its lower meat value (has only half the meat value of normal Meat) and it perishes double as fast.

Whales are also the SW version of Koalefants and Water Beefalo are way rarer than normal Beefalo, so Meat is in SW rarer aswell.

Of course you can get Meat by slaugthering several Wild Boars, that you turned into Werepigs,

but now that Whales are actually more challenging to kill (they can't get staggered anymore, have more health, etc.)

it would be more worth the effort, if they drop Meat, like most other big mammals in DS too.

Blue_Whale.png.917d96386a1680bfe00bf327f--> I am not a fish and I have emotional issues,

because some people think I am...T__T

13 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

Raw Fish is less useful than Meat,

This is incorrect. Raw fish is far more useful than meat. It allows fish based recipes which restore higher sanity and health, and can be dried into to jerky to also get access to all the meat recipes.

3 minutes ago, WillPwn4Food said:

You're right, but I prefer them dropping fish. Fish steak heals 20 in addition to the usual 25 hunger and is also useful for Surf 'n Turft to trade for boat lamps

I see your point.

You can make Surf 'n Turf with 1 Monster Meat and 3 Tropical Fish or 3 Monster Meat and 1 Wobster.

Depends, if you have ponds/Fisher Merms or Wobster Dens near your base/Yaarctopus.

The change could give Dogfishes a bit more use too, if Whales are not the go to mob for raw fish.

But I can totally see your point. ^__^

6 minutes ago, stl1234 said:

This is incorrect. Raw fish is far more useful than meat. It allows fish based recipes which restore higher sanity and health, and can be dried into to jerky to also get access to all the meat recipes.

That depends on your point of view, if you want more perish time a higher meat value for Meaty Stew, Honey Ham, Bacon and Eggs, Ham Bats and Meat Effigies, Meat is more useful.

If you want high health (cooked fish) and can't rely for whatever reason on Tropical Fish, raw fish is more useful.

But that is certainly not "incorrect".

As you stated, you can also dry raw fish, but that takes time and even more time if it rains...and it rains a lot in SW.

"In the Reign of Giants DLC, Jerky left on the Drying Rack will now be affected by spoilage. As well, raining will prevent any meat on the drying rack from drying, making it less effective in Spring."

I just assume it is the same with SW.

59 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

"In the Reign of Giants DLC, Jerky left on the Drying Rack will now be affected by spoilage. As well, raining will prevent any meat on the drying rack from drying, making it less effective in Spring."

I just assume it is the same with SW.

It is no matter what you put on a Drying Rack it won't dry during Rain most characters even have quotes for that if you examine the Rack during the Rain.

Although i don't even dry meat or fish in SW at all i really dry is Seaweed and Jellyfish because i rather dry them instead of letting them spoil and because i rarely get any type of Meat (both normal and fish) so instead i tend to use it up quicker what means i don't have any for Jerky.

3 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

Thanks for the clarification, I like that, it makes totally sense.

I like that you can dry sea weed in SW, I use dried sea weed for making California Rolls, they are not as good as they used to be, but I suppose I am the only one, that drys the sea weed before making California Rolls, so they are to easy to make for 50 hunger/20 health/sanity.

Yeah Califronia Rolls are kind of a meeh recipe but they are great when you have nothing else but Limpets or Mussels and no other type of filler to make something else. Although with nerfed Limpets and Mussels good luck with making anything out of them now that isn't Fishsticks or California Rolls.

Still though it's not as weak as you think it is when you consider how much there is of it's ingrediences i mean Seaweed and easy fishsources are pretty overabundent and 2 Sets of Rolls feed most chars for 1 full day so it's easy to just quickly gather the stuff you need for them. And that 20 HP/Sanity also is pretty great because you will never really suffer from low HP/Sanity for a long time.

TBH if we want to talk about bad/trash SW Crockpot recipes then Ceviche (or whatever it's called) is probably the highest contender because it needs 2 Fishvalue and 1 Ice or 1 Dogfish/Swordfish/Fishmeat and 2 lesser fishmeats and 1 ice and tbh i rather make Surf'N'Turf or Seafood Gumbo with that fish instead of Ceviche specialy because Jelly-O-Pop and Banana-Pop serve the same purpose.

10 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Yeah Califronia Rolls are kind of a meeh recipe but they are great when you have nothing else but Limpets or Mussels and no other type of filler to make something else. Although with nerfed Limpets and Mussels good luck with making anything out of them now that isn't Fishsticks or California Rolls.

Still though it's not as weak as you think it is when you consider how much there is of it's ingrediences i mean Seaweed and easy fishsources are pretty overabundent and 2 Sets of Rolls feed most chars for 1 full day so it's easy to just quickly gather the stuff you need for them. And that 20 HP/Sanity also is pretty great because you will never really suffer from low HP/Sanity for a long time.

TBH if we want to talk about bad/trash SW Crockpot recipes then Ceviche (or whatever it's called) is probably the highest contender because it needs 2 Fishvalue and 1 Ice or 1 Dogfish/Swordfish/Fishmeat and 2 lesser fishmeats and 1 ice and tbh i rather make Surf'N'Turf or Seafood Gumbo with that fish instead of Ceviche specialy because Jelly-O-Pop and Banana-Pop serve the same purpose.

Ceviche or something similiar, should be the trash food that you get,

if you put 1 Monster Meat (any other Meat or fish with meat value) and 3 Ice in the Crock Pot,

but people like there Meatballs to much I guess. ^__^

Yeah, all that Sea Weed saved my butt in my Wilbur the Vegetarian world, otherwise I would have starved (I found only 5 twigs until day 10), but there is really a lot of it and you can harvest it in all 4 seasons...maybe it could get tweaked like the new Limpet Rocks? (you can't harvest it in 1 specific season)

Just now, HeilerderWelten said:

but there is really a lot of it and you can harvest it in all 4 seasons...maybe it could get tweaked like the new Limpet Rocks?

I made a suggestion a while ago where i said that Seaweed should be inaccesible during Monsoon Season. The reason for that being that because of the intense rain the Sealevel rises and because of that the Seaweed is submerged in the Water. You can still see the shadows of it and maybe be able to harvest it per Trawlnet but it won't be as accesable as it is right now.

Cause currently i can still live of Seaweed and Mussels alone so having 1 Season that makes it less usefull would be idea i mean Limpets got the nerfed during Dryseason so i see no reason to not nerf Seaweed during Monsoon season.. Even better Seaweed is one of the best foods you can get when you want to get Nightmarefuel asap just chug a bunch of raw seaweed and slay as many Nightmares as you can

3 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

I made a suggestion a while ago where i said that Seaweed should be inaccesible during Monsoon Season. The reason for that being that because of the intense rain the Sealevel rises and because of that the Seaweed is submerged in the Water. You can still see the shadows of it and maybe be able to harvest it per Trawlnet but it won't be as accesable as it is right now.

Cause currently i can still live of Seaweed and Mussels alone so having 1 Season that makes it less usefull would be idea i mean Limpets got the nerfed during Dryseason so i see no reason to not nerf Seaweed during Monsoon season.. Even better Seaweed is one of the best foods you can get when you want to get Nightmarefuel asap just chug a bunch of raw seaweed and slay as many Nightmares as you can

I like that idea, that would give Monsoon Season a bit more identity aswell.

It is good that you have to rely on diffrent things in the diffrent seasons, fine thought Mr.L.

On 3/21/2016 at 7:23 PM, Mr.P said:

I really like this idea, I think some additional challenges need to be included and its nigh on impossible to starve in DSSW, this would make the issue of feeding yourself no where near difficult but slightly more challenging 

On 21.3.2016 at 9:27 PM, HeilerderWelten said:

I like that idea, that would give Monsoon Season a bit more identity aswell.

It is good that you have to rely on diffrent things in the diffrent seasons, fine thought Mr.L.

Honestly each season can do something like that, but doesn't for some reason.

In Hurricane the wind makes seagulls come to land and causes other creatures to hide. This element can be taken much further in a lot of ways. Think of Winter where crops are harder to get, but instead, most mobs are what's hard to find in this season.

Moonsoon could be the opposite, hide all kinds of sea resources thanks to the floodings, alongside bring some of them into land via stronger tides(imagine mussles being thrown to land in mid-late moonsoon season).

Dry is already pretty good actually. No combustions, just...dry. But if you fertilize something it will stay fertilized like it normally would, since its not dead, its just dry and require fertilization. Coffee Plants and Cacti though are 24/7 active in this season, giving it an extra adventage.

3 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Honestly each season can do something like that, but doesn't for some reason.

In Hurricane the wind makes seagulls come to land and causes other creatures to hide. This element can be taken much further in a lot of ways. Think of Winter where crops are harder to get, but instead, most mobs are what's hard to find in this season.

Moonsoon could be the opposite, hide all kinds of sea resources thanks to the floodings, alongside bring some of them into land via stronger tides(imagine mussles being thrown to land in mid-late moonsoon season).

Dry is already pretty good actually. No combustions, just...dry. But if you fertilize something it will stay fertilized like it normally would, since its not dead, its just dry and require fertilization. Coffee Plants and Cacti though are 24/7 active in this season, giving it an extra adventage.

Those things and other similiar would really change your playstyle in the diffrent season, that would keep the SW experience fresh, at the moment we can counter most differences and difficultys in 3 of the 4 seasons, just with the Dumbrella, there has to be done something in my opinion..

1 hour ago, HeilerderWelten said:

Those things and other similiar would really change your playstyle in the diffrent season, that would keep the SW experience fresh, at the moment we can counter most differences and difficultys in 3 of the 4 seasons, just with the Dumbrella, there has to be done something in my opinion..

There's also how other than Hurricane Season(sort of), and Dry Season(entirely), no other season has unique benefits.

Which is not how you make the player actually feel the season is unique and not annoying.

Take RoG for example. Summer is boring, yes, but it gives you an ez-ish source for Red Gems, Cacti Flowers, and scales from Dragonfly which are great.

Winter has ice(great filler, as well as used as a counter for combustion in Summer, thanks to the flingomatic), and all the vanilla stuff Winter had which still make it unique and enjoyable.

Spring is horrible for your sanity(possibly) or your health(WX), but its the best season for crops, and allows you to stock up on them, aiding you in the next season which'll make crops much harder to get.

Compare that to:

Hurricane Season - Hail which is exactly like Ice, but refined into ice(and if you have an ice maker, screw hail, it has no purpose), Sealnado which gives you the iron wind, Seagulls on land(is also an issue, but has its good uses) and occasionaly the strong winds in your direction. All of these will eventually become useless. 

Moonsoon Season - *insert cricket noises* There's poison musquito sacks which are great to stock up on, but when thats the only upside, it really doesnt feel unique, and becomes annoying.

Dry Season - Coffee Bushes are fertilized 24/7, the ocean is calm(making this the IDEAL exploration season, I really like it. The eruptions encourage you to get out of your base, and the rest of the unique elements of the season are there to help you actually explore more), no combustions, and withering can be overcome with fertilization. 

So while RoG encouraged you to take adventage of the season's uniqueness each season, SW only does that for the first few Hurricane Seasons and Dry Season. 

Archived