So I've been mulling over a handful of ideas for DST's version of the Ancient Guardian and I wanted to put a couple of them here.

#1: Take a page from Dota 2 and give him health/damage increases over specified time periods similar to Roshan (Late Game oriented)

- This would be great for those who like staying with a world as long as possible and would keep the challenge coming for late game oriented people... heck you could even squeeze lore in for the reasoning for those who remember Maxwell commenting on how the nightmare fuel had really changed it. 

- For those who haven't played Dota 2, Roshan gains health, armor, and damage every 4 minutes (after the first creep wave), this could be applied here in a similar fashion (minus the armor of course) every 20-25 in-game days (to throw a number out there). Similarly, since many players (myself included) would like to see him respawn, he could also get more powerful with each respawn too (or some combination of both ideas). How fast, how much damage and health he receives, and whether or not these stats will actually be capped off at some point is completely up to you.

#2: Have him spawn additional mobs similar to DST Dragonfly when reaching certain HP thresholds (Co-op oriented)

- I've read some ideas from others about what mobs these would be, my personal suggestion would be Slurpers since they would put players in danger of having whatever is on their head unequipped if it they get on them in the fight. They would be a nuisance without artificially inflating the difficulty too severely 

- Having shadow creatures (nightmare beak & Crawling horrors namely) rise is also another way this could go, or in fact even be a second wave of monster spawns as the Guardian falls into (preferably) critical health thresholds.

Also as a side note here for an idea for a new ability for the DST version:

- How about a roar that could be triggered when players are outside of melee range (most typically won't be), which would cause a cave-in/earthquake during the fight? This would discourage people from dropping aggro onto another player to heal or otherwise do something besides remaining in the fight after initially aggroing it. 

- A much simpler implementation could be in the form of the Guardian doing this cave-in/earthquake causing roar only when you first engage it, increasing the intensity of the start of the fight.

I'd really love the idea, it makes the battle unique and intense. An good trade-off for difficulty would be better loot such as 20 thulecite, random brand new t2 (Shadow Manipulator) or ruins magic item. It kills me that they won't touch-up the parts of the game I actually care for sometime soon with the Beefalo & TTA in priority.

Just now, DwerBomb said:

What is that?

In singleplayer, you can set down 2 fireplaces and get the ancient guardian to ram into them because they are indestructible. It will then get stuck and you can whack it until it dies, even with your fists and no armor. In an update a while back, they made it so fireplaces are destructible in DST, but not singleplayer for some reason. This means that the ancient guardian is actually a challenge.

5 minutes ago, Sheauwn said:

In singleplayer, you can set down 2 fireplaces and get the ancient guardian to ram into them because they are indestructible. It will then get stuck and you can whack it until it dies, even with your fists and no armor. In an update a while back, they made it so fireplaces are destructible in DST, but not singleplayer for some reason. This means that the ancient guardian is actually a challenge.

That kinda feels like cheating :p 

its good they've removed it at least in DST, but still, it needs more challenge.

i mean...listen to the EFS of Ruins (the Epic Ruins theme, for when you are fighting the Minotaur):

it just...sets the mood for a fight related to Shadows, Ancient knowledge, destruction...

The Epic Ruins need an Epic Fight! 

Archived