World Linking - Why?

Something that's been bothering me a bit lately after world linking SW and RoG...

Why? What's the point of it? You cant bring constructs/structures from 1 to the other, and craftable things in inventory usually dont do that much different things between the 2 worlds.

IDK. Cheat on SW and bring loads of gold from your RoG world? Or bring a bunch of obsidian tools over from SW? Or bring all your RoG berry bushes over?

There is literally no other purpose to this change other than to make SW/RoG much easier. Because of this, I think world linking was a stupid decision, and that the seaworthy could've had potential as a craftable wormhole type thing instead.

The only point i see in it at the moment is those few exclusive items like Spearguns, Poison and Obsidian items for the SW worlds and stuff like Green Gem stuff, Giantloot and maybe the Morningstar for the RoG worlds.

Otherwise they could be completly seperated and nothing of value would be lost.

Why not just make the nautical tab and all other Shipwrecked items craftable in RoG once you've gone through the seaworthy? Then it would actually be fun... I want to see monkey wars against all the giants...

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

The only point i see in it at the moment is those few exclusive items like Spearguns, Poison and Obsidian items for the SW worlds and stuff like Green Gem stuff, Giantloot and maybe the Morningstar for the RoG worlds.

Otherwise they could be completly seperated and nothing of value would be lost.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, and honestly, it dissapoints me.

2 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

IDK. Cheat on SW and bring loads of gold from your RoG world? Or bring a bunch of obsidian tools over from SW? Or bring all your RoG berry bushes over?

There is literally no other purpose to this change other than to make SW/RoG much easier. Because of this, I think world linking was a stupid decision, and that the seaworthy could've had potential as a craftable wormhole type thing instead.

*cough* or as a portal to adventure mode *cough*

20 minutes ago, MoloMan said:

Why not just make the nautical tab and all other Shipwrecked items craftable in RoG once you've gone through the seaworthy? Then it would actually be fun... I want to see monkey wars against all the giants...

Yeah, I agree. Appearently, boats do work on sea in vanilla and RoG too, but invisible walls make it a bit awkward.

39 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, and honestly, it dissapoints me.

*cough* or as a portal to adventure mode *cough*

Yeah, I agree. Appearently, boats do work on sea in vanilla and RoG too, but invisible walls make it a bit awkward.

The boats wouldn't work in RoG though atleast in my opinion. I mean the only reason for using them would be because Woodlegs doesn't like land (he's afraid of grass) but all the other stuff in nautical like hats and spearguns would just be cool to have. If they added the ability to build structures in the ocean then I would want boats in RoG though. Imagine building a big base out in the water... would be kinda cewl!

1 hour ago, MoloMan said:

That's where the problems start though

Shipwrecked's main challenge is to do with the world completely screwing with you through the brutal weather and random events.

RoG's challenge is mainly to do with food, and pretty much everything else is preventable. The giants, except the dragonfly, can be killed within half a day and are basically free meat if you're fairly competent.

That's not to say that there aren't other small details that make both expansions fairly unique, like not having a readily available source of gold in Shipwrecked aside from wearing a booty bag all the time.

Now, imagine bringing over prime apes - a creature that can be farmed to get near limitless amounts of morsels and bananas within a single day - over to RoG. Not only do you have extremely powerful goons to take on giants (basically like having tame werepigs fighting for you), but you also have your food problems completely gone; which removes half of RoG's challenge.

And then you have the palm leaf hut, which would give complete water protection in Spring, and the chiminea, which would make the nights stupidly easy. And the ice maker, which would remove the point of having to mine down glaciers in Winter for an ice fling-o-matic in Summer and would give you a very easy source of meatballs in the late game. And an obsidian fire pit, which would remove practically all of Winter's challenge. And the obsidian armour, which would render the scalemail completely useless and just a very rare reskin.

They're supposed to be separate expansion packs, and their items are not designed to be mixed. They're balanced based on the world they're meant to be in, and are not meant to be interchangeable.

What i do is go to RoG to build there a bird cage and transform any monster meat into gold which gets a bit harder to get in the late game. Another thing i get from RoG is telucite items and if possible build an Eyeturret. Last, RoG is a nice place to be in when it's the dry season in SW. Cane and Tam O Shanter are nice things to get from RoG and much easier to get than in SW.

Also some tools from SW are very usefull in RoG like the obsidian axe which is a wonder in winter. You cut trees and it protects yourself from freezing and assures you to not die from Charlie as well. The super spyglass is very convenient to explore in RoG. That and coffee ^^

Last, I like the diversity it offers to be able to visit SW or RoG. 2 bases to build in parallel, 2 worlds to explore, caves to search, giants to tame... The only thing i cannot stand is the fact that hounds come each time you travel. It makes me want to set the hounds to very low or none just to not have that anymore. >_<

I think the whole idea of linking the 2 worlds was to allow people to survive through both RoG and SW without having to separate save files, without having to make 2 separate games, without having to start over 2 separate times... Basically, have access to all the game content within a single game. Off course, this brings a lot of pros and a lot of cons. At the end of the day, there is really no decision that Klei could have ever made that would have pleased everyone.

As an experienced Don't Starve player, I can understand all the possible ''shortcuts/combos/exploits'' that have been discussed previously that could make the game very easy, each in their own way. Actually, most experienced Don't Starve players will find the game relatively easy from day one. There were times that I started over a new game, explored, found some very specific things that I was looking for and then, on day 3-4 and I told myself ''there we go, I passed the game, I have everything I need to survive indefinitely''.

Then I realized that Don't Starve is not about the end, it's about the journey. If you have enough knowledge of the game and can figure out ways to make it very easy to survive (and it will hapen, it always happens, regardless of what Klei adds/removes), then that's good for you. I don't have any data on it, but I can guess that the majority of the Don't Starve community is not composed of veteran players that know all the crockpot recipes by heart or know all of the easy ways to go through every challenge the game has to offer. They would rather find the learning curve very confusing with all of the RoG + SW items available (there are a lot of them).

So basically, world linking gives us acces to all of the single player content, it gives us freedom to choose wether you want to spend some time in the tropics or in the dark and creepy forests of the RoG world. It gives us freedom to decide wether or not we want to use certain items from SW in RoG and vice-versa. It gives us all that, without having to go through 2 different games (it's a DLC, not a stand alone). I'm not saying nothing needs to be balanced, I'm just happy they gave us the freedom to make our own decisions.

By the way, no one is compelling anyone to play both worlds in a single game. If you want to play a SW exclusive game, you go ahead and do that. Same goes for RoG exclusive game! It's all about the journey...

If you just want to take a Shipwrecked character to Adventure Mode, you can do that by starting them in a RoG world and not have to spend two save slots on that.

I'm a little annoyed that you have to sacrifice a second save slot to change worlds at all, instead of it generating another map within the same save slot like with caves and ruins. That's really my only complaint. I like to play as several different characters at once and that's one less character I can play without modding the game to make more room. I don't think having the Shipwrecked character be able to take over your RoG character's base really makes up for it.

Archived