Boat repair kits

20 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Why don't boat repair kits restore a percentage of the boat's HP rather than just 100 with each use?

Just wondering. It would make the rafts less efficient and the bigger boats more efficient, and I'm pretty sure that's how it should be.

1 Board and a glue bottle doesn't heal 30% of a raft and 30% of a cruise ship, yknow.

1 hour ago, Weirdobob said:

1 Board and a glue bottle doesn't heal 30% of a raft and 30% of a cruise ship, yknow.

Yeah, and actually swordfishes don't attack the boats, some shells sticked to a boat don't make it more resistant and also coral takes a little bit more time to grow back, like years instead of days...

A lot of things in don't starve aren't the same of reality, and i think a boat repair kit can be a little different too, i actually like the idea, i find very frustrating that a boat repair kit only repair 3/5 total healt of an armored boat, i think it should be balanced for all boats, and the percentage mechanic can solve the problem

20 minutes ago, LordChicken said:

Yeah, and actually swordfishes don't attack the boats, some shells sticked to a boat don't make it more resistant and also coral takes a little bit more time to grow back, like years instead of days...

A lot of things in don't starve aren't the same of reality, and i think a boat repair kit can be a little different too, i actually like the idea, i find very frustrating that a boat repair kit only repair 3/5 total healt of an armored boat, i think it should be balanced for all boats, and the percentage mechanic can solve the problem

Yes, but that's the general silliness of Don't Starve... Besides, this stuff's all magical and made by Maxwell yada yada, cheap cop out I know. However, some logic applies to things like buildings... And I know, there's some things that I don't even think Wilson could imagine building, like the ice flingomatic and what not.... But still, the icon is a board and a glue bottle, be glad it heals 300 health before breaking instead of literally gluing a chunk of wood to your boat.

The better boats are better in more than just HP; you're already greatly discouraged from using the rafts because they're slow as molasses and take up your hand slot. They don't need to be even further nerfed for some reason. (Honestly, it's not like there's any reason to ever bother using a boat repair kit on one anyway, unless you truly just can't make a better boat yet but have a repair kit on hand.)

Honestly, the boat repair kit should be -buffed- if anything. It's cheaper to just hammer down damaged boats and rebuild them than it is to use a repair kit. Costs less materials than crafting the kit even on the best boats, -and- you get more healing out of it; 450~500 for the armored boat instead of 300 from a kit.

8 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

Yes, but that's the general silliness of Don't Starve... Besides, this stuff's all magical and made by Maxwell yada yada, cheap cop out I know. However, some logic applies to things like buildings... And I know, there's some things that I don't even think Wilson could imagine building, like the ice flingomatic and what not.... But still, the icon is a board and a glue bottle, be glad it heals 300 health before breaking instead of literally gluing a chunk of wood to your boat.

To be fair though, as the last guy said, everything in DS is centred around game balance, so lot of stuff won't make any sense. 

It's the same reason why guns in PAYDAY 2 are all over the place, with 9mm pistols doing more damage than a shotgun.

Plus, realistic does NOT mean fun. If I wanted realism then I'd go outside. People play video games because it's fun to escape from reality, not because they want to simulate it.

This is why I've always found Saint's Row more fun than GTA V. No matter how deep and enormous GTA V's world may be, it will never compare to whacking people with a giant purple sex toy.

Anyway, that was basically a long winded way of saying that realism shouldn't be a worry when it comes to video games.

I mean, have you seen how soil nutrients work in this game? You can give one berry to a pig and have enough nutrients in the manure to grow 5 more! 

8 minutes ago, Luponius said:

The only change I would like to see on boat repair kits personally would be to make them stackable.  If we can stack 20 boards why can't we stack at least 5 repair kits?

Because it's a percentile item and those don't stack.

Then again, we could have the existing recipie generate three one-use Boat Repair Kits and work from there.

Though possibly it's not done that way for game balance. It's a bit more of a hassle to carry multiple percentile kits than one big pile of one-use kits.

(Also, I think Boards only stack up to 10.)

Just now, SapphireBullets said:

Because it's a percentile item and those don't stack.

Then again, we could have the existing recipie generate three one-use Boat Repair Kits and work from there.

Though possibly it's not done that way for game balance. It's a bit more of a hassle to carry multiple percentile kits than one big pile of one-use kits.

(Also, I think Boards only stack up to 10.)

Ah, there I go getting schooled, haha, totally missed that.

Archived