Setting up your Base!

I usually put my base on the beach biome near some limpet rocks and crab holes, close to a jungle. Preferably on an island that has some wildbore houses already since relocating them is quite expensive. I like to have a mangrove and a coral reef a short boat ride away from my base, it’s especially beneficial if the coral reef also has the Yaarctopus :D

Also, I don’t relocate a lot of resources. I don’t do it in RoG either. I prefer to have to travel to get specific resources rather than have huge farms right next to my base. It makes the game more interesting for me and lessens the time I spend huddled up in my base. The only things I sometimes relocate are a few berry bushes and a spider nest. But only if I can’t find them naturally within reasonable distance from my base. Oh, and in RoG rabbit huts. Because BUNNIES!

I try to find a meadow biome and I make my base here because it's pretty! Also, water won't grow during night and fullmoon.

If I have no luck and can't find one, well, I make a base on a beach bome, and I put turfs to decorate the place. Usually, jungle turfs so I can grow jungle trees and some berry bushes. Beach biomes are good because they have plenty of twigs and grass, and I'm always out of twigs :p

Also, if I find the tigershark's nest, I settle my base on the nearest island. If I have troubles, I can go there and get some protection from the tigershark.

20 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Here's my pond base, btw:

So simple, yet so beautiful. I already liked ponds but this is gorgeous!

6 hours ago, rouxdoux said:

I like to have a mangrove

What are you doing in mangroves? Aside from water beefalo (which are really rare) there is almost nothing you want to do there.

I'm just looking for a good amount of space on a beach/jungle island, since I will be installing the boars and the bees myself. A large sized beach will probably also have a few limpet rocks, which I like to have. 

The pond base is super neat, I love that. 

15 hours ago, Lacost said:

What are you doing in mangroves? Aside from water beefalo (which are really rare) there is almost nothing you want to do there.

I like mangroves for grass farming and fishing since there are usually plenty of shoals there. Like I said, I never set up grass farms in my base so having a mangrove nearby is useful for me.

I tend to find the least hospitable places the best as they tend to have amazing end-game advantages if you tame them.

For example, I live on an island full of spider dens (about 7 in total). There are no grass tufts there, no limpet rocks and prime apes.

However, the island literally consists of 2 volcanic biomes, 1 jungle and 1 swamp. Once I've tamed it (I.e. Controlled prime apes, killed flups and dug all the poisonous holes) I'll have a great supply of reeds (for honey poultice) and fish from the swamp, light from the krissures (if I get desperate), a ton of drops from spiders and snakes due to the wars between them every night and a good supply of naughtiness, bananas and morsels from prime apes.

Monkeys can be very nice and calm if you know how to tam them. I have 6 huts in the middle of my base and they aren't a problem at all :p 

Also they can be a very good source of meat and bananas as well which you can get in few seconds. In 1/4 of a day i get 24 morsels and 24 bananas and i spend most of that time reseting the traps and collecting the sutff on the floor.

To come back to the topic, i choose my island generally next to interesting things such as yaarctopus, the gambling machine or a brain. I like to have multiple biomes connected so i don't have to travel much to get my resources for the first year. I always stay on jungle or meadow turf but never on the beach.

Coral nearby as well as seaweed is a plus so i can craft antivenom quickly. Also the island has to have some renewable resources like limpets, snakes, berries or mushrooms. My last island has a ton of mushrooms, around 20 of each sort which garanties me tons of food until they grow up again. With some meat here and there i can do anything.

Later i developped a monkey farm to provide a huge quantity of meat and bananas and i have now an excess of food :/

One last thing which can be important is the position of the island. I don't know for sure in the next versions, but with Packims which bugs when i cross a map border i prefer to stay around the middle to reduce the time spent in travel to collect resources or to explore.

2016-02-03_00001.jpg

I set up my base on an island with jungle, beach, magma and marsh biomes. 

I think they all serve a purpose, and once you have cleared the marsh for Merms, Flups and Poisonous Holes, it's free mushrooms and fish (from the Fisher Merms) every evening.

A close-by Yarrctopus is nice, but to be honest I found him very late and didn't use him much. 

I found that the Water Beefalo serves the exact same purpose as in RoG: Manure and protection from (Sea) Hounds.

I've had succes with most places though since the first 2 seasons of Shipwrecked are very forgiving, so there's always time to prepare, no matter how bad your island is.

This, however, is the first time I've survived a whole season and mapped everything in Shipwrecked, and I think it's due to a very great base placement.   

SouthBase.jpg

MidBase.jpg

NorthBase.jpg

Full Map w red.jpg

Archived