Finite Resources, ie Hard Mode

I'm sure Hard Mode has been suggested before, but this is a different way to look at difficulty. Normally, when you have difficulty modes, the game simply lowers your damage and health, and increases enemy damage and health. This is often an ineffective difficulty choice, and can simply make a game tedious rather than difficult. Don't Starve is already a difficult game. Enemies can mess you up real quick-like, and you have to stay on your toes especially in combat. However, I suggest a hard mode in the game that does one thing: All resources finite.

Bushes will eventually stop producing berries, grass will eventually no longer grow back, the rabbit population will dwindle, ponds will run out of fish and die off, pigs will no longer immigrate, and so on.

This will force the player to always be on the move. A biome will eventually become useless, and the player will have to go where the food is. While I'm sure that Winter will incorporate some of these elements, I'm sure that plenty of food sources will be milked. And judging by the nigh-hostile reaction to pig houses only spawning three pigs, a lot of people do not want something like this. But a mode would be perfect, now when someone brags about surviving 100 days on Finite Mode, maybe someone will actually be impressed.

I think there's a fine line between being difficult and being boring. Yes, it would be nice if it was more challenging, but I think making things, in essence, go extinct would just take away a lot of the game's elements. If you couldn't fish, pick berries, have pig friends, grow grass, you're left with not a lot to do.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion and as Hard Mode would be optional, I wouldn't object to it being implemented.

I think there's a fine line between being difficult and being boring. Yes, it would be nice if it was more challenging, but I think making things, in essence, go extinct would just take away a lot of the game's elements. If you couldn't fish, pick berries, have pig friends, grow grass, you're left with not a lot to do.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion and as Hard Mode would be optional, I wouldn't object to it being implemented.

As you said it is an opinion and you are indeed entitled to it. I disagree with you though. Having the constant threat of enemies is easy to ward off once you have a small base established. Now if the grass from your base slowly decreased you would be forced to either find more or move on to a new location. I feel this would add more to the game in a sense of having something to do.

As you said it is an opinion and you are indeed entitled to it. I disagree with you though. Having the constant threat of enemies is easy to ward off once you have a small base established. Now if the grass from your base slowly decreased you would be forced to either find more or move on to a new location. I feel this would add more to the game in a sense of having something to do.

Yeah but it seems to me like the entire map will eventually become exhausted. Also, would the biomes randomly become useless, or would it be based on the player's current position? If random, it could take a long time to affect you, and if it was based on your current position I would imagine it would be hard to implement as players are constantly moving away from their base.

Yeah but it seems to me like the entire map will eventually become exhausted. Also, would the biomes randomly become useless, or would it be based on the player's current position? If random, it could take a long time to affect you, and if it was based on your current position I would imagine it would be hard to implement as players are constantly moving away from their base.

You don't necessarily have to move away, there is the option of expansion too. You can build your own little empire with meat effigy citizens and pig serfs. Sure you will run out of resources but really how many do you need? Once you're at the point of clearing entire biomes I'm sure you will be more than secure with your amount of gathered supplies. Also farm plots give you endless food as you can never truly kill off the birds. Maybe with the depletion of a resource you can get a seed to grow the plant anew. It doesn't completely deplete the resource and it forces you to wait for new growth.