I've already booked multiple hours into this expansion so far and I've made a weird observation: despite being in an oceanic environment and surrounded by all manners of aquatic life, actual fish makes up a surprisingly low portion of my characters' diet. There are plenty of fish-like things, sure, like crabs and mussels and things ASSOCIATED with fish, like seaweed, but actual fish? Hard to come by. I've tried several times to catch tropical fish from shoals via that net on your boat, but I've never been able to catch anything before the shoal scatters from getting too close. I eat plenty of jellyfish, but those aren't even vertebrae, let alone fish.

I'm also somewhat amused at how hard it is to get a proper fish in this expansion. Tidal pools are in toxic muck fields and you can't just plop a fishing rod down anywhere like you'd think to given how massive the body of water around you is. I think I've stolen like 3 tropical fish from a fishermerm once, and the other handful I've gotten at random from a trowel net. Everything else is either a roll of the dice or you having to go completely out of your way to acquire something with niche equipment. I don't see any other way to get a dogfish than to research gear explicitly for that purpose. It's not hard, mind you, but it seems kind of redundant. 

Why is it so hard to get some actual fish? It's not game-breaking or anything, but it's kind of weird when I stop and think about it. Shouldn't actual fish, regular or tropical, be...y'know, like, abundant? It's the ocean, after all.

It might just be the way I play. Is anyone else making this observation?

4 minutes ago, Urfable said:

You can catch shoal fish with a fishing rod. Just boat up next to them and use your fishing rod.

I'm surprised I did not think of that. How about with the net? Am I just doing it wrong or does the trowel net not actually catch fish from shoals? The wiki claims it does, but I'm dubious.

4 minutes ago, Didact04 said:

I'm surprised I did not think of that. How about with the net? Am I just doing it wrong or does the trowel net not actually catch fish from shoals? The wiki claims it does, but I'm dubious.

Personally, i don't doubt that it does catch a fish but it's not as effective. I remember trying to test it by only going over the shoal while i had my trawl net on but i think i got at most 2 fish? Which may or may not have even been from the shoal. Don't worry you're not doing anything wrong but a fishing rod is definitely better if you want some fish (:

My base is on an island that's mostly jungle with a patch of swamp that has about 10 tidal pools. I've killed most of the flops and dug the poisonous craters, so I fish there often. For a two-silk fishing rod I get 9 fish, and since my other main food source is spiders, both monster meat and silk are ample. I mostly use this stuff to makes bacon& eggs, though, not fish dishes, however if I need sanity, I'll make surf & turf.

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

My base is on an island that's mostly jungle with a patch of swamp that has about 10 tidal pools. I've killed most of the flops and dug the poisonous craters, so I fish there often. For a two-silk fishing rod I get 9 fish, and since my other main food source is spiders, both monster meat and silk are ample. I mostly use this stuff to makes bacon& eggs, though, not fish dishes, however if I need sanity, I'll make surf & turf.

i don't get how people stomach making bases in places like jungles or swamps
im stuck here making bases only in grasslands because i get peace and quiet, they look pretty , stop the tides and have plenty of grass. all i have to do is snatch me 20 saplings and since they don't require fertilizer im set

as for the fish, the fact that sea hounds have such a relatively high chance of spawning and how they are almost impossible to effectively kite without full sailing speed gear makes it too annoying to fish on sea, fishing on tidal ponds seems to be the best option but unless you got a swamp close to your base you're predestined not to fish alot in your playtrough, and for a sea-oriented game that kind of sucks

53 minutes ago, gpmandaXD said:

i don't get how people stomach making bases in places like jungles or swamps

Silk, snake skin, reeds, monkeys, no? Grasslands have got nothing at all. I never understood what so special about them that would make you camp there, even with beefalo in vanila. 

39 minutes ago, mitboy said:

Silk, snake skin, reeds, monkeys, no? Grasslands have got nothing at all. I never understood what so special about them that would make you camp there, even with beefalo in vanila. 

grasslands are like danger-free planting grounds with so many natural eternal grass you could drown in it, which after planting saplings and jungle trees gives you the feeling of safety you get from knowing that making a campfire and torches is cakewalk

also there is usually at least another biome in the same island , which for me at least has always been usually jungle
i dunno if its practical but it works for me, last run i had was 140 days and it just ended because i had to make a new world for tiger shark
its funny because i've seen people make these huge-ass bases with like ten farms and dozens of fertilizable tufts just to get to day 100

i was talking about people who straight up make their base IN the swamps or jungle, surrounded by monkeys, snakes, sometimes fishmen, and sometimes gas vents , at least in the jungle i guess why you would risk your neck for the huge ammount of resources but the swamp is a wasteland which lacks resources and has a huge chance to poison you ,only positive thing are tidal ponds.
Due to how fast water burns (heh) through your ship's hp i see it as a big inconvenience to make a base in an island with a swamp (unless you're the lucky guy who hit the 0.00000000000001% chance of getting a world with a big island which has the 4 biomes in it

(which happened to me sadly before the magma rocks were nerfed)

34 minutes ago, gpmandaXD said:

i was talking about people who straight up make their base IN the swamps or jungle, surrounded by monkeys, snakes, sometimes fishmen, and sometimes gas vents ,

You can smash monkey's huts, kill flups, dig gas vents and snake bushes, destroy spider dens..

Just now, mitboy said:

You can smash monkey's huts, kill flups, dig gas vents and smake bushes, destroy spider dens..

what can i say, i guess im just lazy
stuff is time consuming and its better to just leave the threat aside not to waste the resources

shrug.png

7 minutes ago, mitboy said:

Not really time consuming.

it is when you just have 20 days to sail around and while frantically trying locate the resources on time
by the moment i already have my base set there are no reasons to make swamps and jungles kid-friendly

lets not keep extending this plz

7 hours ago, gpmandaXD said:

it is when you just have 20 days to sail around and while frantically trying locate the resources on time
by the moment i already have my base set there are no reasons to make swamps and jungles kid-friendly

Since when you know how much time I spend on making it kid-friendly? It's usually no more than one mokey hut and 1-2 snakes. There are some empty parts of the jungle too, you know.

Archived