Caves and ruins... How?, Green si good?

Hello guys, excuse my ignorance but Im new with the dedicated servers, I started my first world with caves a few days ago, I didn't find the entrance to the ruins, I think if the caves needs a server, the ruins need it too right?, then I have only 2 server windows, there is not a third window called ruins or something, can I make one?, I use the most easy way to run a dedicated server, yes, the steam tool, but I will make one manually if is necessary, if there is already a tread about that can someone tell me please where it is?

Another question: How can I check the stability of the server?, the server is always green and I am  always green too, I play pretty smooth and that's ok, but my friends are in yellow or sometimes red, sounds like they are the problem but I think that could be the server because Im not the best hosting, as a host Im always yellow, sometimes red (especially with climate effects), my computer isn't enough strong to be a stable host, then I think is weird that the server runs so good and smooth, I want to know if I am the source of their connection problems or are they and the distance, I suppose that I can handle a dedicated server, my internet speed is not the best but according the requerimients is more that enough. 

Hi !

The ruins and caves are all in one, there is no "undercaves" it's on the same level. You have caves, you haves ruins that's all :p

The devs talked about do caves with and without ruins for dedicated server later in the updates.

For the stability, I use speedtest.net for checking if i'm good to host or not, try it and check. Maybe ask your friends to do some

Hey @Rily, the ruins and caves are merged together on the same plane. I don't know of any news whether Klei plans to split it yet again wherein you'd need servers for overworld, caves and then the ruins each on their own planes. So I'd say, it'll be this way for a long while until the whole shard system is fully functioning. Eventually people will be able to tweak and link multiple worlds together to replicate the Don't Starve Solo World Experience with Caves and Ruins separated or better yet replicate the whole Adventure Mode which would be great. 

Anyhow on the matter of guides with configuring your own server. The Preconfigured Server Guide is good enough (source) as a baseline guide to start up your Dedicated Server in a snap. Listed below are some things I've posted that would help with configuring these Preconfigured Servers further (they may not be the most optimal guides since it's all based on what I learned and what I use in my own server):

With regards to checking the stability of your server, I do not know of any way to test this but the Don't Starve Together Specifications (which you already know) should give you an idea if your system is sufficient enough to support the server. Do note that also having a lot of mods loaded onto the server puts more stress of your server. 

Some numbers you should be informed about:

• "...the dedicated server takes about 350-400mb of memory..." (source)
  • "Internet (Upload) = 8Kbytes / player / second | RAM =  around 65Mbytes/player" (source)

To determine if the lag is due to your geographical distance from the players then the best course of action to find out is to have your friends to run a server from their side. Here's another guide for Network and Performance Troubleshooting (source). Which you may already know, but in case you haven't seen it yet I might as well link it.

With that said, if my posts are confusing I'd suggest the wikia guide which I learned from initially (source). I hope that's enough information. Good luck and have fun, cheers.

Hey @Rily, the ruins and caves are merged together on the same plane...

...With that said, if my posts are confusing I'd suggest the wikia guide which I learned from initially (source). I hope that's enough information. Good luck and have fun, cheers.

Thanks, is quite informative, 

Hi !

The ruins and caves are all in one, there is no "undercaves" it's on the same level. You have caves, you haves ruins that's all :razz:

The devs talked about do caves with and without ruins for dedicated server later in the updates.

For the stability, I use speedtest.net for checking if i'm good to host or not, try it and check. Maybe ask your friends to do some

Ok, that sounds good, then I can find the acient things in the regular caves right?, I only saw white spiders infesting mushtrees but I didn't saw slurpers, splumonkeys, statues, fissures or the pseudoscience station, what happens with that stuff?, even the ruins music was amazing, I miss it, are they already in the caves? I didn't explored enough? or all that stuff is just planned for future updates?

I use the same "speed test" but with that Im sure that I can handle the server, but feels pretty strange, I mean, if I can't handle the whole game, how can I be an almost perfect server?, even I had a ping of 108, in my own server, should I have less?, is the same pc

slurpers, splumonkeys, statues, fissures or the pseudoscience station, what happens with that stuff?, even the ruins music was amazing, I miss it, are they already in the caves?

The slurpers and all the ruins creatures are in the caves.

The caves look like many branches (that have sinkholes) converging into a center point, from which the ruins generate.

Like a deeper part of the caves.

The ruins music isn't available.

But perhaps this will change in the future, the technology is there after all.

Archived