Question about Pre-Configured Servers

I tried setting up my own dedicated server and it simply didn't work properly, so I gave up and started using pre-configured server, but the question is : Can I somehow set a password to this server? Im completly fine with standard world presets, I just want to make the server private so that strangers wont join here and I wont have to kick them 24/7.

@OrangeStarver, yes you can. Follow the instructions below:

• Once the pre-configured server finishes configuring itself(It's done if both Overworld and Caves Dedicated Server has the words "World '###' is now connected."), you close both windows by typing in both of them the words "c_shutdown()".
  • Then look for the folders DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld and DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves. It should be located under Documents/Klei.
  • Inside these folders you will edit the settings.ini that can be opened with a notepad.
  • Inside both settings.ini under [network] you will type "server_password = yournewpassword"
  • For more information of what else you can put into these settings.ini, read through this.

I hope that helps, cheers.

@OrangeStarver, yes you can. Follow the instructions below:

• Once the pre-configured server finishes configuring itself(It's done if both Overworld and Caves Dedicated Server has the words "World '###' is now connected."), you close both windows by typing in both of them the words "c_shutdown".
  • Then look for the folders DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld and DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves. It should be located under Documents/Klei.
  • Inside these folders you will edit the settings.ini that can be opened with a notepad.
  • Inside both settings.ini under [network] you will type "server_password = yournewpassword"
  • For more information of what else you can put into these settings.ini, read through this.

I hope that helps, cheers.

Thank you very much man, I  appreciate it. I've got anoter question, Is it possible to install mods for those pre-configured servers? If so, how do I do that, and is it true that now if someone joins dedicated server with mods installed, and doesnt have those mods, he'll download them ?

@OrangeStarver,

Is it possible to install mods for those pre-configured servers? If so, how do I do that... 

Yes, here's the step-by-step instruction to add mods that I know. Under the DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld and DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves folders you will need to create a modoverrides.lua file in both of them. I've attached my own modoverrides.lua to this post to help you do that easily. Inside the modoverrides.lua you'll find the following text:

return {    
	["workshop-412291722"] = { enabled = true },    
	["workshop-362175979"] = { enabled = true },
}

Notice the numbers beside the word "workshop". These numbers are the id number of the mods in the workshop. The mods enabled here are as follows: Ice Fling Range Check and Wormhole Marks. If you open the Ice Fling link, you'll see that the url has the words "?id=412291722". So if you want to add other mods, open the workshop page of the mod you want in steam and right click the page then select Copy Page URL. Paste this in your browser and take the id from there.

I believe you need to do this for both folders so the caves will also have the mods, I think. I haven't fully tested the pre-configured server yet but just to be safe, have both Caves and Overworld folders contain a modoverrides.lua file.

Is it true that now if someone joins dedicated server with mods installed, and doesn't have those mods, he'll download them ?

Yes, the game will automatically download mods that the user doesn't have but the dedicated server requires. To make sure that this is enabled, you can toggle this feature under the Main Menu> Options> Settings> Enable/Disable Auto-Subscribe Mods. It's enabled by default, but just make sure it is, in case one of your friends may have accidentally toggled it before.

I hope that helps, good luck and have fun. Cheers.

EDIT: Incorrect filename, sorry.

modoverrides.lua

Just to add on to what Zillvr said. You can find all this info about dedicated servers here (DST Dedicated Server Guide) and here (DST Simplified Dedicated Server Guide). Remember you can do anything with a preconfigured dedicated server that you can do with one you configure yourself. The only difference is that in the preconfigured dedicated server Klei already sets up some options for you, but this doesn't mean you can't change those options.

@OrangeStarver,

Is it possible to install mods for those pre-configured servers? If so, how do I do that... 

Yes, here's the step-by-step instruction to add mods that I know. Under the DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld and DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves folders you will need to create a modoverrides.lua file in both of them. I've attached my own modoverrides.lua to this post to help you do that easily. Inside the modoverrides.lua you'll find the following text:

return {    ["workshop-412291722"] = { enabled = true },    ["workshop-362175979"] = { enabled = true },}
Notice the numbers beside the word "workshop". These numbers are the id number of the mods in the workshop. The mods enabled here are as follows: Ice Fling Range Check and Wormhole Marks. If you open the Ice Fling link, you'll see that the url has the words "?id=412291722". So if you want to add other mods, open the workshop page of the mod you want in steam and right click the page then select Copy Page URL. Paste this in your browser and take the id from there.

I believe you need to do this for both folders so the caves will also have the mods, I think. I haven't fully tested the pre-configured server yet but just to be safe, have both Caves and Overworld folders contain a modoverrides.lua file.

Is it true that now if someone joins dedicated server with mods installed, and doesn't have those mods, he'll download them ?

Yes, the game will automatically download mods that the user doesn't have but the dedicated server requires. To make sure that this is enabled, you can toggle this feature under the Main Menu> Options> Settings> Enable/Disable Auto-Subscribe Mods. It's enabled by default, but just make sure it is, in case one of your friends may have accidentally toggled it before.

I hope that helps, good luck and have fun. Cheers.

EDIT: Incorrect filename, sorry.

Dammit, I'm sorry to bother you guys, but I finally got the chance to actually play DST and it seems that mods don't want to work, I tried changing the file name to modoverrides and modoverride and they both didn't seem to work. Servers were just turning on and it looked like they were just skipping them because they weren't even downloading those mods. Do I need to download those mods manually myself first and place somewhere? I'll Attach my file.

modoverrides.lua

Dammit, I'm sorry to bother you guys, but I finally got the chance to actually play DST and it seems that mods don't want to work, I tried changing the file name to modoverrides and modoverride and they both didn't seem to work. Servers were just turning on and it looked like they were just skipping them because they weren't even downloading those mods. Do I need to download those mods manually myself first and place somewhere? I'll Attach my file.

Hi. I think the mods should load automatically, but im not sure. You can subscribe the mods and then copy the mod folder from your DontStarveTogether Folder to your DontStarveTogetherDedicatedServer Folder.

For me the modoverrides method didnt work at all.

If you cant get it to work try this:

- Delete the modoverrides Folders

- Go to Steam/Steamapps/common/DontStarveTogetherDedicated/Mods/modsettings

- To enable mods write sth like this

ForceEnableMod("workshop-345692228")ForceEnableMod("workshop-346968521")ForceEnableMod("workshop-352373173")

Workshop numbers work like before

Tell me if it worked

@OrangeStarver,

Do I need to download those mods manually myself first and place somewhere?
If the mods aren't loading properly you can try and download the mods normally(subscribe to mods and let the game download them) and then move the mod files from Steam/SteamApps/Don't Starve Together Beta/mods to Steam/SteamApps/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/mods. 

If should look something like this.

post-474697-0-45217600-1448065818_thumb.
Then try running the game and server again without deactivating or deleting the modoverrides.lua files in your DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld and DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves folders, and see if it works.

If not, you can instead go and edit the modsettings.lua under Steam/SteamApps/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/mods and write this inside. I based the following lines on the modoverrides.lua file you provided. Attaching my modsettings.lua with the same lines below, in case it's confusing.

ForceEnableMod("412291722")ForceEnableMod("362175979")ForceEnableMod("363989569")ForceEnableMod("369588618")ForceEnableMod("498729626")ForceEnableMod("356930882")ForceEnableMod("434859111")ForceEnableMod("373653812")ForceEnableMod("507484441")ForceEnableMod("369596587")ForceEnableMod("382177939")ForceEnableMod("529043471")ForceEnableMod("361994110")ForceEnableMod("365632677") 

After that retry the game and server again.

Hopefully it works now. Good luck and have fun, cheers.

modsettings.lua

Hi how can I change the world settings of the preconfigured servers? I've created a worldgenoverride.lua file in this "../Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld" and this Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves" directory but the server always use the default settings. Can somebody plz help me thx;)

My lua file looks like this:

return { override_enabled = true,      preset = "DST_CAVE",        unprepared = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"               banana = "always",        berrybush = "always",        cactus = "default",        carrot = "always",        lichen = "always",        mushroom = "always",       },       misc = {               autumn = "default", -- "noseason", "veryshortseason", "shortseason", "default", "longseason", "verylongseason", "random"        boons = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"        branching = "default", -- "never", "least", "default", "most"        cavelight = "default", -- "veryslow", "slow", "default", "fast", "veryfast"        day = "default", -- "default", "longday", "longdusk", "longnight", "noday", "nodusk", "nonight", "onlyday", "onlydusk", "onlynight"        earthquakes = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"        frograin = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"        lightning = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"        loop = "default", -- "never", "default", "always"        regrowth = "veryfast", -- "veryslow", "slow", "default", "fast", "veryfast"        season_start = "default", -- "default", "winter", "spring", "summer", "autumnorspring", "winterorsummer", "random"        spring = "default", -- "noseason", "veryshortseason", "shortseason", "default", "longseason", "verylongseason", "random"        start_location = "default", -- "caves", "default", "plus", "darkness"        summer = "default", -- "noseason", "veryshortseason", "shortseason", "default", "longseason", "verylongseason", "random"        task_set = "default", -- "classic", "default", "cave_default"        touchstone = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"        weather = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"        wildfires = "default", -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"        winter = "default", -- "noseason", "veryshortseason", "shortseason", "default", "longseason", "verylongseason", "random"        world_size = "huge", -- "small", "medium", "default", "huge"       },       animals = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"                alternatehunt = "default",        angrybees = "default",        beefalo = "always",        beefaloheat = "default",        bees = "always",        birds = "always",        bunnymen = "often",        butterfly = "always",        buzzard = "default",        catcoon = "often",        frogs = "default",        hunt = "default",        lightninggoat = "always",        moles = "often",        monkey = "often",        penguins = "often",        perd = "default",        pigs = "default",        rabbits = "always",        rocky = "default",        slurper = "default",        slurtles = "default",        tallbirds = "always",       },       monsters = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"               bats = "default",        bearger = "default",        chess = "default",        deciduousmonster = "default",        deerclops = "default",        dragonfly = "default",        fissure = "default",        goosemoose = "default",        houndmound = "default",        hounds = "default",        krampus = "default",        liefs = "default",        lureplants = "default",        merm = "default",        spiders = "always",        tentacles = "often",        walrus = "default",        worms = "default",       },       resources = { -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"               fern = "always",        flint = "always",        flower_cave = "always",        flowers = "always",        grass = "always",        marshbush = "always",        meteorshowers = "default",        meteorspawner = "default",        mushtree = "always",        reeds = "always",        rock = "always",        rock_ice = "always",        sapling = "always",        trees = "often",        tumbleweed = "always",        wormlights = "often",       },}

• Developer

Hi how can I change the world settings of the preconfigured servers? I've created a worldgenoverride.lua file in this "../Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld" and this Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves" directory but the server always use the default settings. Can somebody plz help me thx;)

Could you post the log files from the servers, that should help us figure out what's happening. (log.txt from the EasyConfigOverworld and EasyConfigCaves directories)

• Developer

Ack, sorry @k4rl1, I totally forgot to mention: you'll need to regenerate the world in order to determine what's happening. Log in to your overworld, and run the console command c_regenerateworld(). This will wipe out both worlds and regenerate them from scratch, as well as putting information in the log about what's happening with the overrides.

Ack, sorry @k4rl1, I totally forgot to mention: you'll need to regenerate the world in order to determine what's happening. Log in to your overworld, and run the console command c_regenerateworld(). This will wipe out both worlds and regenerate them from scratch, as well as putting information in the log about what's happening with the overrides.

Hi,

thanks a lot it works now! I only had to regenerate the world:) Would be nice if the settings could be loaded without manually regenerate the world in future releases;)

Best wishes:)

Sorry to post to much but ive discovered that even when i take the force-enabling out it still crashes. It must be the fact that i have put all of the mod folders I want to use in server from dontstarvetogether/mods into dontstarvetogetherDedicatedServer/mods.

Hello,

I am trying to get some mods working with my Dedicated server, i tried following the instructions previously posted here, but it seems like some are talking about the server you host from the dont starve game itself, and some are talking about the "DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves" and "DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld".

I am currently trying to get mods working on the "DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves" and "DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld" Dedicated servers.  i made a "modsettings.lua" files in each main folder:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves\modsettings.lua
Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld\modsettings.lua

In these i have my mods listed as:

ForceEnableMod("workshop-463655483")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-382363357")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-363989569")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-362022168")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-380423963")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-356420397")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-375850593")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-462434129")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-436164138")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-369588618")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-347079953")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-375859599")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-551324730")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-398326409")
ForceEnableMod("workshop-396230822")

The servers run (EasyConfigCaves and EasyConfigOverworld servers), caves work, everything works vanilla, but the mods are not loading.  

What should i be doing different to get the mods to load?  
What files need to be where?
what lua files do i need in those folders?
what should be in those lua files?

Hey @WatchDragon, welcome to the forums. I'd like to ask a few questions first just so we're on the same page.

Do you have the workshop-### folders located in this location (Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/mods)?
If not, you should open the game and let the game directly download those mods for you by subscribing to them through the workshop and then opening the mods menu in the game. Now close the game, and go and copy over all the mods you want from (Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/mods) to (Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/mods). Then start up your server again and check it if the mods are working. 

Are you sure all the LUA files you made are really LUA files? 
Just something to look out for when creating your own LUA files.

What should i be doing different to get the mods to load? 
If the method above doesn't work, you should do the method above along side the modoverrides.lua method in this post. Your Documents folder should look something like this.

post-474697-0-96912900-1451372015_thumb.

What files need to be where?

• modsettings.lua is only required in this location (Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/).
  • modoverrides.lua should be in the specific server folders in your Documents (shown in the image above).  

What should be in those lua files?
I'll be attaching a modoverrides.lua file with your list of mods for you to easily just drop into the server folders. It's the same LUA file I used in the image above.

modoverrides.lua

Report back if it works or not, cheers.

Hello @KEvill, welcome to the forums. Not all mods are the same and written in the same fashion in terms of identifiers for options available. So according to the snippet in this wiki page, to get the configuration_options you have to go into each mod and open the modinfo.lua file. Then look for the configuration_options and the names of the options with their predefined variables. Since I do not have time to elaborately generate configuration_options for every mod you want to configure, I'll try my best to show you just how to configure one mod for a Pre-configured Dedicated Server. 

1. Choose what mod you want to configure. In this example I'll be using this mod (Ice Fling Range Check).

So I'll go into my game files (Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods\workshop-412291722) then open modinfo.lua. Scroll down and look for configuration_options = . Inside the configuration_options brackets you will find a block of text enclosed in another set of brackets. Each block of text enclosed with brackets within configuration_options' brackets is one option you can toggle if you were configuring the mod in-game in the mod menu. In the Ice Fling Range Check, the only option you can toggle has the name, Time. Seen as name= "Time",. It's options are the ones below it shown as short, default, long, longer, longest and always.

2. Configure this mod to only show the Ice Fling Check Range for a short time in my Pre-configured Server. 

Since we now know our options for configuring the mod. Let's push out the change we want. So I'll then go into my Pre-configured Server files (Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld) and edit the modoverrides.lua file. I'll be adding the following lines after the enabled=true, 

configuration_options =
  	{
		Time = "short",
	}

3. Save changes to modoverrides.lua, and start up the server. To check whether the changes did happen, according to the mod creator of (Ice Fling Range Check) setting the Ice Fling Range Check to short will reduce the Range Check to only appear for 10seconds. So we build an Ice Flingomatic and wait for the ring to disappear in 10 seconds. OR check your log.txt in your Server files (Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld), the words Overriding mod workshop-412291722's option Time with value short should be listed in there. 

Here's an image to let you know how everything should look and what to look for. The left image is the modinfo.lua of the Ice Fling Range Check mod, while the right is the modoverrides.lua in my DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld folder.

post-474697-0-19985700-1451805071_thumb.

Reminders:

• Every mod is different and have their own set of configuration options but I hope through this mini guide, you would be able to configure other mods on your own. If you want to see somebody else's fully configured modoverrides.lua, check out the first reply in this thread. (Dedicated Server w/ Mods).
  • Pre-configured servers are all dedicated servers but were created for players to start a dedicated server easily with a push of a button. So all/any methods used for other player-made Dedicated Servers can be used in your Pre-configured Server too. It's just a matter of figuring out which goes where.
  • I'd also recommend getting notepad++ to to easily edit lua files. I'm using notepad++ in the images above.
  • Don't forget the comma after the enabled = true when adding your configuration_options.

Anyways, I hope that helps. Goodluck and have fun, cheers.

Archived