• Developer

Could you try the following?

On each computer, install wireshark (https://www.wireshark.org/#download). 

On Computer 1:

Run wireshark, double click on "Local Area Connection" to start a new capture.

Run the game, and start a server.

On Computer 2:

Run wireshark, double click on "Local Area Connection" to start a new capture

Run the game, open "Browse Games", click LAN, and look for the game

If you don't see it, try to connect to the other game by using c_connect

Close both games, then on each computer, in wireshark, press red stop button, then click File->Save, and save the capture somewhere.

Send us the log.txt for each game, and the capture that you saved from wireshark.

@nome that would be very kind of you guys. I`m dying to play this game on lan as this was the only reason I bought it. My internet connection lets me browsing forums and other pages without lags at its finest. I hope there is a way out from this situation. 

Thanks for your support anyway.

@255 Hi there, please find the requestes files attached. I added one more screenshot from the DST console as PC1 HOST port seemed a bit odd. by default the server port should be 10999 and that's what I found in the console. When I tried to connect to my own hosted server on the same PC the incoming IP addres was 192.168.0.2:53760. I did not expect this port to be used... maybe I should add this port to excluded rules in a firewall?

What is more, I was unable to connect to the hosted server from PC1 HOST and PC2 by using command ' "c_connect 192.168.0.X" ' and ' c_connect "192.168.0.X:10999" ' Isn't it odd as well? I could however connect to the hosted server ONLY from PC1 HOST by double clicking on a server from a LAN server list in game.

I hope you'll find all you need in the logs below. Waiting for your reply.

LOG PC1 HOST.pcapng

DST server console PC1 HOST.PNG

pc2log.pcapng

• Developer

Sorry this is taking so long to diagnose, it's a very unusual issue. Could you try the following?

Make sure you have the windows firewall, and any anti-virus software disabled on both PCs.                                                   

Start a dedicated server on one machine, using the instructions I gave you earlier in this thread, and on the same machine, run the following commands, and save the output:                                 
    netstat -na | find "10999"                                                   
    netstat -s -p IP                                                             
    netstat -s -p UDP                                                            

Open the client on the other computer, and go to Browse, and click on the LAN tab, and hit the refresh button a couple of times.                                                                           
Run the following commands on the server machine, and save the output:                   
    netstat -s -p IP                                                             
    netstat -s -p UDP                                                            

Post all of the output you've saved here.              

@255 Hi there, sorry it took me so long to provide you with the outcome of the test above. I have followed the instructions and once again we culd not see each other. Same story, PC that hosts the server CAN connect to it, the other machine has an empty LAN servers' list.

Please find the logs you asked for attached.

Logs Host 1.PNG

Logs Host 2 after refreshing on 2nd PC.PNG

• Developer

If you haven't tried already, could you try switching which machine you're hosting on?

Also, could you run the task manager on each machine, go to the "Processes" tab, turn on "Show processes from all users", and send screenshots? If the list is too long for one screen, you may have to scroll down and send a couple of screenshots.

@255 Test made on the other machine as a host - results are the same. Below I've attached screenshots from CMD and Processes from both PC's.

May I ask about any news in this matter? Do the files I've attached already helped with investigation? Do we know the root cause yet? ; )

Processes1 pc1.PNG

processes2 pc2.PNG

Pc2 host logs after refreshing lan servers on the other machine.PNG

pc2 host logs before searching servers on other machine.PNG

pc2 host logs2 before searching servers on other machine.PNG

processes4 pc2 host.PNG

Processes1 pc2 host.PNG

processes2 pc2 host.PNG

processes3 pc2 host.PNG

• Developer
15 hours ago, PinkMachine said:

May I ask about any news in this matter? Do the files I've attached already helped with investigation? Do we know the root cause yet? ; )

What we know (or strongly suspect) at this point is that it's nothing obvious. We're guessing that something weird either in your OS or in DST itself is causing the UDP packets to get dropped on the floor rather than processed. @255 is trying to track down where the problem might be so he can see if it's in our code, or some weird interaction with something like a windows firewall that other games don't trigger.

• Developer

It would think so, but I'm not familiar with either of those products. Are you running the free versions of each of them? From what I can tell, the free versions shouldn't include a firewall.

On 2/11/2016 at 10:59 PM, PinkMachine said:

@255 Hi there! Anything new?

Our apologies for the delay. We have been unable to reproduce your issue on our systems and setups at the studio and could not find any issues with the game's networking code on our end. Alas, it looks like the issue stems from something that is particular to your setup/computer and unfortunately we don't have any point of reference to potentially help you with this.

Should you continue to encounter the issue, you may have to contact Steam Support for a possible refund due to network/settings/system incompatibility. Sorry!

I've not be able to find my server on LAN since "cavesbeta" beta first updates..I can only find on the host computer, I have 4 computers here, I can only find then if I start a normal server, dedicated does not work for the others computers, I gave up to find what is wrong, since then i've been using "join" on steam..

and now, How can I active mods on dedicated? The old way is not working here.

Sorry About my english :@

@JanH Hi there! It's sort of disappointnig hearing that my issue cannot be solved. Funny thing is that other games (Diablo 2, Torchlight 2, FIFA, Fistful of Frags) run perfectly fine over LAN, I even did not have to configure anything, it just plays. If it is something that "stems from something particular to my setup" why it does not affect other games as well?

This game has a potential and I am willing to support this title, however after a patch with caves on DS my LAN just stopped working and I know that I am not the only one suffering from this issue.

I have removed Steam on both PC and Don't Starve. I've installed it fresh, downloaded Don't starve, made a file check and started an offline server. You know the result. Immediately After I created LAN server on Torchlight, Diablo and Fistful of Frags. All of those 3 titles worked fine.

If nothing from the logs I provided you with pointed at the game issue maybe you should provide me with some sort of a custom app created by your company that checks all processes for your game just to measure what is wrong. It seems to me that there is a bug that I brought to light and noone knows how to fix it.

You also know all my PC specs, logs from Windows CMD, WireShark graphs, you know that my PCs see each other over the LAN, packagaes are sent and recieved without any loss, Ports have been unblocked, Rules added to Firewall, Antiviruses turned off, Wireless network cards switched off as well. Both users are admins, IPv4 on Ethernet Card (LAN) configured properly for each PC, Home Group created and sharing works.

Please note as well that this game USED TO WORK over LAN until some patches have been released.

I do not want to keep posting and bothering your team about this issue. If there is nothing you can do to help me just close this thread as there is no point having it open. Pin this thread if you wish as it consists a FULL GUIDE to people having LAN issues and the steps they can make themselves to recognize the issue - hopefully they will be able to make their LAN servers work. If they get to this point and read this particular comment they would know that there is no hope for them.

Thanks for hearing me out. I wish you good luck with this project and your future undertakings.

#Peace#love.

Archived