[Idea/Thoughts] About sandbags

It's currently hurricane season for me and i was walking past some sandbags i had put up for the previous monsoon season and of course they were broken down (which i don't really care for) but then i started wondering what if it's supposed to happen that way?

I already broke down most of the sandbags i had up because they were blocking my way and i didn't want to clear them out during monsoon season in order to put up new ones properly. So what if hurricane season is supposed to clear them out for you so that you can properly put up new ones?

The only thing is that there isn't much give or take from hammering them down and letting them degrade on their own. So what if hammering them down instead will give us back one cloth + the two sands? Then instead of leaving them lying around past monsoon season, it would give us a reason to hammer them down. This can also help cut down on a lot of flint usage to make machetes for bamboo.

What do you think?

Es actualmente la temporada de huracanes para mí y yo estaba caminando más allá de algunas bolsas de arena que había puesto para la temporada del monzón anterior y por supuesto que estaban derribados (que yo no me importa para), pero luego empecé a preguntarme qué pasaría si se supone que debe suceder ¿de esa manera?

Ya se rompió la mayoría de las bolsas de arena que tuve porque estaban bloqueando mi camino y yo no quería borrar a cabo durante la temporada del monzón con el fin de poner en funcionamiento otros nuevos correctamente. ¿Y qué si se supone que la temporada de huracanes para despejar hacia fuera para usted para que usted correctamente puede poner otros nuevos?

Lo único es que no hay mucho más o menos de martillar abajo y dejar que se degradan por sí solos. ¿Y qué si martillar abajo vez nos dará la espalda de un paño + las dos arenas? Entonces, en lugar de dejarlos por ahí estación de los monzones pasado, nos daría una razón para clavar abajo. Esto también puede ayudar a reducir una gran cantidad de uso de pedernal para hacer machetes de bambú.

¿Qué piensas?

I like :)

I agree that getting cloth back would make things a lot easier, but at the same time I'm not sure it's needed. A chance to give back cloth or only from a fully repaired sandbag sounds alright, but it's not as if cloth is hard to come by.

I agree that cloth isn't hard to get but as of right now there isn't a "renewable" source of flint and some people seem to struggle with it. So i just thought it could cut down on some machete usage (which would save quite a bit of flint) if a healthy sandbag dropped one cloth.

I agree that cloth isn't hard to get but as of right now there isn't a "renewable" source of flint and some people seem to struggle with it. So i just thought it could cut down on some machete usage (which would save quite a bit of flint) if a healthy sandbag dropped one cloth.

Once you get a decent grips of it, flint is practically unlimited. With all the rock biomes you get full inventories of the stuff.

Things like rocks and flints are like:

- Hey you are running out of rocks, how do you deal with that.

- Hmmm, I think I'd long ago mined enough many for my entire life!

(seconds later) ... What?!

I didn't understand what you were getting at, no need for the sass :p. My point was that there isn't a shortage of flint in the slightest in the map as a whole, you just need to go find more.

sandbags should require a smaller amount of cloth + sand to "fix" after they get depleted by the elements, right now as far as i can tell/hear, its only viable to drop sandbags in poodles as opposed to actually preventing the sea rising towards your base

sandbags should require a smaller amount of cloth + sand to "fix" after they get depleted by the elements, right now as far as i can tell/hear, its only viable to drop sandbags in poodles as opposed to actually preventing the sea rising towards your base

Agreed, I feel like it should make 8 bags instead (like with most walls (I'm pretty sure?)) and repairing is really broken as it takes more than one bag to repair an old one. Why would you ever repair when you can destroy and replace?? From the bare bones destroyed it takes all 4 new bags just to get one back to normal. I think the amount of sand is fine but the 2 cloth is kind of a hassle. (Also lol 'poodles')

Puddles are the only things I've ever used sandbags for. I never found the rising tides to be a problem.

Once you get a decent grips of it, flint is practically unlimited. With all the rock biomes you get full inventories of the stuff.

I can tell you that is clearly not the case. As soon as you start building very big bases and live for hundreds of days, your flint stockpile will deplete ... quickly.

So the only renewable tool material is again gold which is harder to farm than it was in RoG. Apparently trawling is the only option available to you to renew your tools.

And on this aspect crafting cloths is enormously expensive since the machete is such a costly tool. That's why I don't use it anymore and simply dig out the bamboo and replant it.

I can tell you that is clearly not the case. As soon as you start building very big bases and live for hundreds of days, your flint stockpile will deplete ... quickly.

So the only renewable tool material is again gold which is harder to farm than it was in RoG. Apparently trawling is the only option available to you to renew your tools.

And on this aspect crafting cloths is enormously expensive since the machete is such a costly tool. That's why I don't use it anymore and simply dig out the bamboo and replant it.

I have a world over 200 days, haven't had an issue. Mostly use opulent tools, get plenty of extra gold from gambling usually. Maybe I'm just lucky, idk.

I have a world over 200 days, haven't had an issue. Mostly use opulent tools, get plenty of extra gold from gambling usually. Maybe I'm just lucky, idk.

If everyone chose to use golden tools then of course flint wouldn't be an issue, obviously. Personally, gold is better used on other things (especially when i use battle helm/spear). I'm well past day 100 and i haven't had any problems with flint, but that being said i don't doubt that i will Never run into problems. Trawling or finding tools from treasure chests have been a huge get for me just because I'd like to save where i can.

I would enjoy hammering sandbags giving back one cloth, since after a Monsoon season, the current sandbags you've placed to stop puddles are nigh useless, since it's unlikely for them to reform in the same area. As for getting cloth, yes, it's not hard to come by, but quite heavy on flint resources.

Think about this:

One Machete is 1 twig, 3 flint.

Said Machete has 100 usages and can cut down one bamboo with 6 swings.

You need 2 cloth and 2 sand for 4 sandbags.

One cloth is 3 bamboo, so if you're using a machete for only bamboo, 2 cloths is equal to 36% of a Machete's durability. Of course, 4 sandbags won't see you puddle free from Monsoon season, so you better get 4 more. Another 36% gone. Just like that, your Machete has 28% durability left, that'll get you 4 more bamboo. So one full machete nets you about 10 bamboo for 1 twig and 3 flint.

10 Bamboo of course, isn't nearly enough to make all the sandbags required for the best way to live Monsoon season, let alone counting you using bamboo or cloth for other resources. This leads to you building machete after machete to obtain all the sandbags you need for each and every Monsoon season, trying to live as long as possible. If we factor in the cost of other tools, (Axes, Pickaxes, Shovels...) you'll use around maybe... 50 - 100 flint per an in game year. (VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE).

As you keep surviving, this amount of flint usage really adds up. Sure, it's easy to find more, but you'll use that up too. As time goes on, it'll get harder and harder and harder to find flint. You'll go from walking to a volcano land near your base to going to the ends of the map just for a small amount of flint. Until one day, where it's all gone. Your last hopes of gaining more flint would be the slot machine. So, no more axes, no more machetes, no more shovels, no more pickaxes...

Of course, you can always turn to using gold tools, but it's much trickier to renew than in RoG, where you could practically make a Monster Meat to gold farm with a birdcage and pig king. Yes, there's the Yaarctopus, but he only gives 1 dubloon per day, which can get you one gold nugget after 3 days. That really won't suffice you, so you'll have to resort to trawl netting. Hopefully, Volcano caves (if those are a thing in the future), will makes gold and flint MUCH easier and less luck based/tedious to renew.

SUMMARY: Cloth is expensive because Machetes burn through usages and flint like no tomorrow, flint and gold hard to renew in Shipwrecked.

I still think puddle spawning needs to - right before it places a puddle on a specific tile - check in all four directions for a sandbag within 4 or so tiles of that tile - there has to be one in **all four** directions - and if it finds one in all four directions it does not spawn a puddle at that spot.  This would allow the player to prepare ahead of time an enclosed safe area, and also be a logical way to use sandbags (completely enclosing an area) as opposed to how it is now where you're using sandbags like corks to plug a leak in the island.   Now this would change the number of bags need to make the base safe from what i understand. (I haven't been able to play SW in several weeks due to other things, and when I did my original playthroughs I never did even use sandbags because my main long game, I got lucky and based where there were no puddles)  If you must fully enclose your base, they need to be repairable with just sand, or not not decay at all, because it will take a lot of them.

The flint thing could be easily enough made renewable by making volcanic rain drop a flint once in awhile.  Or if there is ever a volcano cave, that would presumably sort it.

As for gold, surely we'll eventually get a pig king or something?  He was friggin dressed in a grass skirt, he'd be perfect for the islands.  Even if he only accepted true meat (no morsels or eggs).  But, if they're going for overall more difficult, I guess I can see how they might decide to ditch him.

The flint thing could be easily enough made renewable by making volcanic rain drop a flint once in awhile.  Or if there is ever a volcano cave, that would presumably sort it.

As for gold, surely we'll eventually get a pig king or something?  He was friggin dressed in a grass skirt, he'd be perfect for the islands.  Even if he only accepted true meat (no morsels or eggs).  But, if they're going for overall more difficult, I guess I can see how they might decide to ditch him.

They do plan on having a volcanic cave/ integrating SW with the regular world but for now there doesn't seem to be plans on making flint and the sort easily renewable.

There is a pig king equivalent in SW but he can only be traded with once per day and the payout really isn't the best thing ever.

So what if hammering them down instead will give us back one cloth + the two sands? Then instead of leaving them lying around past monsoon season, it would give us a reason to hammer them down. This can also help cut down on a lot of flint usage to make machetes for bamboo.

What do you think?

I totally agreed ! its a good idea .

Archived