(READ THIS KEVIN!) Farming problem theory!

Here is my suggestion on the easy "steam-roll" to success farming problem fix!

Here are some possibilities to consider:

1:Crop spoilage

2:Terrain/Biome Factor

3:Trample factor (and possibly fences for that)

4:Cageable beefalo that if put corresponding to a farm(s) will fertalize with no need to interact(after building and placing of course)

5:Hostiles/Enemy's could eat crops(Depending on what they are)

6:Wither with out water...so pretty much irrigation

7:Constant need to be tended to because in real life lots of plants will not grow straight up

7:"birth" defects. Ever gotten a weird/ugly looking fruit/veggie? Exactly

8:Pigs will vacate if many of them go missing

I know I won't have much impact but any reader/comment I very much appreciate!

Thamks.

Edited by mason372
Pointed out about "pig farming"

I own a lot with 268 acres of farmland so....Be smart and answer that for yourself and read my other comment. Next time actually stop being a "Roster" and say something positive.

But you see my don't starve farmland is full of pig houses i kill the pigs whenever i need food.

i am not trying to attitude i am trying to have a conversation without it ending in your thread getting dumped in the off-topic.

That doesn't happen verry often.

Mobs and trample which can be stopped with fences doesn't stop the problem if people are dedicated. Theres a heated argument about crop spoilage in another thread.

1:Crop spoilage

Please provide further details about this suggestion. Would this have to do with weather? Lack of watering? Insects? Or all of the above?

2:Terrain/Biome Factor

I'll assume you're saying that, depending on where you place you farm plot, biome-wise, it will impact the crop growth, correct? That makes sense. While I have never tried, I don't think players should even be able to place farm plots in swamps, for example. And if they ever add a desert biome... yeah.

3:Trample factor (and possibly fences for that)

I so hate it in Minecraft when giant spiders climb all over my crop fields... trampling them. So yes, I could see this as being a real concern. And while fences are not in the works, walls eventually will be (so say the Devs).

4:Cageable beefalo that if put corresponding to a farm(s) will fertalize with no need to interact(after building and placing of course)

Hmmm. While I'm not against taming beefalo, I think that manure and water should be the best way to help crops grow. I like the need to manual interaction with the crops, rather than a solution that auto-fertilizes.

5:Hostiles/Enemy's could eat crops(Depending on what they are)

Yes, this was a popular suggestion, and one I support. Birds should eat seed/seedlings you just planted, while rabbits should eat all other stages of crops growing in the garden. To keep them away you either need to guard your crops or craft a scarecrow.

6:Wither with out water...so pretty much irrigation

Agreed. Another simpler suggestion was that crops would grow in stages and without watering they would "stop" at the end of that stage until the player watered it. I'm not sure which is better.

7:Constant need to be tended to because in real life lots of plants will not grow straight up

Yes... and no. I think crops should grow in stages depending on the crop. We don't want to turn the players into farmers (no offence) or else they'll never leave their base camp to explore. I think crops should be somewhat hands-off, only needing water and manure at certain stages. Then, as another player suggested, the crop would either yield a quick bounty that they would harvest and then need to replant a new crop. Or a crop that takes longer to mature, but then provides multiple harvest over a set number of days... think Tomato plants. You harvest some tomatos one day, some more grow from the same plant, you harvest tomatos again in another day or so. Eventually the plant dies and/or the player digs it up (/w shovel) and a new seed is planted.

7:"birth" defects. Ever gotten a weird/ugly looking fruit/veggie? Exactly

Hmmm. Not sure this is needed.

8:Pigs will vacate if many of them go missing

Well right now pig men do not return as fast as they once did when killed. The Devs are aware that players are abusing the pig men to a degree. various suggestions for dealing with this include having pig men become hostile to the player with time (i.e. they do not forget what he's done) or in winter having them never come outside.

That doesn't help at all with farming have you ever farmed?

I'll assume that's a joke. :p

I own a lot with 268 acres of farmland so....Be smart and answer that for yourself and read my other comment. Next time actually stop being a "Roster" and say something positive.

I'm fairly confident sirmentlegen's comment was meant as a joke.

But you see my don't starve farmland is full of pig houses i kill the pigs whenever i need food.

Which is why that exploit needs to be resolved. The Devs thought the solution was to exhaust the pig houses... but that proved a bit too much so they've undone it. I personally think pig men need to become more hostile to the player if in the past he's atacked them... not just forget it. And the hostility should work in stages, so if you attacked one by accident it wouldn't be the end of "pig relations".

i am not trying to attitude i am trying to have a conversation without it ending in your thread getting dumped in the off-topic.

I don't move derailed topics to Off-Topic. I warn forum members who derail topics or cross the line from sarcasm to insult. It's a thin line so we all need to just be nice.

Hmmm, I liked the Idea of the trample factor but otherwise I think some of these changes would greatly hurt survival chances in the early game unfortunately.

I guess if these factors only came into play once a plant or bush has been transplanted these ideas would be more balanced!