Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Early Access FAQ (Updated: 23/03/2016)

JanH

NOTE: THIS IS AN OLD EARLY-ACCESS BETA FAQ - THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS NO LONGER ACCURATE.

The current FAQ can be found here: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/en/portal/topics/874607-don-t-starve-shipwrecked-/articles

Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions about Don't Starve: Shipwrecked's Steam Early-Access beta.

What is Don't Starve Shipwrecked?

Why Early-Access?

What are the system requirements for Don't Starve: Shipwrecked? (Early Access)

What platforms is early access available on?

I don’t use Steam. Can I still play during the early access period?

Do I need the Reign of Giants expansion?

How Do I Integrate an Old Save With a Shipwrecked World?

Will Shipwrecked work with Don't Starve Together? 

Can I play Don't Starve: Shipwrecked with a controller/gamepad? 

Is Shipwrecked coming to consoles/ mobile? 

Can I stream or make videos of Don't Starve: Shipwrecked? 

I have suggestions and feedback for the game, where should I put it? 

I found a bug in Don't Starve: Shipwrecked! Can you fix it? 

What is Don't Starve: Shipwrecked?
Shipwrecked is an expansion for Don’t Starve. Wilson finds himself stranded in a tropical archipelago and must struggle to survive in this new world! Shipwrecked is being developed by CAPY and Klei Entertainment.

Why Early-Access? 

As with Don’t Starve and Reign of Giants, we’re going to be using early access up until the full release of Shipwrecked. Your feedback and suggestions were invaluable during the development of past Don’t Starve content and frankly, we’d be fools to not involve you again when it comes to the development of Shipwrecked.

The early access version of the game is fully playable, but there is still some work to be done. The initial version contains new seasons, creatures, biomes, and many other exciting ways to die. As always, during early access we will be releasing regular updates containing new content as well as tweaks and bug fixes based on your input. Remember, we’re listening, so join our forums and share your thoughts!

What are the system requirements for Don't Starve: Shipwrecked? (Early Access) 

Since Don't Starve: Shipwrecked is still in Early-Access, system requirements are not set in stone yet; but for now the minimum requirements are: 

Processor: 1.7+ GHz or better
Memory: 1+ GB of RAM
Graphics: Radeon HD5450 or better; dedicated 256 MB or higher (*GMA Cards not supported)
Shader Model: SM 3.0 (Please note that this is temporary and may change in future builds)
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 500 MB HD space
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers

There are some known issues running the game while using Intel integrated chipsets. If your GPU (graphics card) has the letters "GMA" in the model number, or has less than 256 MB of dedicated RAM, we are not able to support it.

What platforms is early access available on? 
Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Early Access is available on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux through Steam.

No. However, the final release of the game will be available for the standalone client.

Do I need the Reign of Giants expansion? 

No. Don't Starve: Shipwrecked is compatible with or without Reign of Giants.

How Do I Integrate an Old Save With a Shipwrecked World?

During the Early-Access, we recommend not linking any worlds that you are overly attached to. It is possible that the save file will be corrupted and the world lost. That being said, here's how to integrate your save:

• Find the “Seaworthy” in your shipwrecked world and use it.
  • Select the world you wish to link* to, or select generate new world.
    • Your worlds are now linked together! Yay! For now, you can revert to the previous state when selecting this world in the future.
  • To travel back to your shipwrecked world you must craft a new “Seaworthy” in the RoG/ Vanilla world. You will find it in the Magic tab.

*Linking worlds works best with RoG worlds. Vanilla worlds will link, but there will be some side effects like having the 4 RoG seasons with no way to deal with these season. This is still being worked on. 

Will Shipwrecked work with Don't Starve Together?

Shipwrecked was built separately from Don’t Starve Together, so it is not compatible with DST. We don’t really know right now if it will be ported over in the future.

Can I play Don't Starve: Shipwrecked with a controller/gamepad?

Mostly. There is controller support for Shipwrecked's Early Access, though it's not quite where we would like to be just yet. If you think you've found a bug with controller support, let us know!

Is Shipwrecked coming to consoles/ mobile?
We’d love to, but right now we’re focused on making the PC version as good as it can be.

Can I stream or make videos of Don't Starve: Shipwrecked?  

You sure can! We're pretty relaxed when it comes to YouTube and Streaming (Twitch, etc.) permissions. We only ask that any content includes clear information that Don't Starve: Shipwrecked is in currently in Early Access, is constantly being updated, and not yet a complete game. It would also be super cool if things linked to http://store.steampowered.com/app/393010/, but it's not mandatory. 

I have suggestions and feedback for the game, where should I put it?

We welcome your suggestions for items, resources, and other stuff that you would like to see in Don't Starve: Shipwrecked. You should head over to the Shipwrecked forums and let us know.

I found a bug in Don't Starve: Shipwrecked! Can you fix it? 
If you think you've found a bug in Don't Starve: Shipwrecked, you should head over to the Shipwrecked Bug Tracker and see if anyone else has had issue like your own. If yes, feel free to add to the discussion. If you can't find your issue, add a new one and we'll take a look at it as soon as we can.

• Like 6

Once you download the DLC, your menu should start in blue, with the Shipwrecked main menu, and there should be a checkbox labeled "SW" next to the one labeled "RofG". It worked for me. Are you sure that the DLC is enabled in Steam?

Its now working, no changes on my end, other than reloading the game multiple times. For some reason there was a 20 min delay between the updates downloading, and them actually showing in the application. Strange.

Same issue as described above, purchased game- small downloadable update occurred and it is listed under Reign of Giants as added DLC, but when clicking the Play button it is not in the list of options.  Restarting Steam and PC caused another update to download but still not playable.

will it be a paid dlc when out of early access or is it something like don't starve together that you got for free if you owned the single player game?

and/or

Is it 5$ for [ early access + final release (DLC) ], or is it only for early access and we will need to buy the "final" release plz ?

and/or

Is it 5$ for [ early access + final release (DLC) ], or is it only for early access and we will need to buy the "final" release plz ?

will it be a paid dlc when out of early access or is it something like don't starve together that you got for free if you owned the single player game?

Imo I think it's safe to say that it'll b the same as RoG. It's a labelled as a new DLC, both in Steam and by Klei themselves. It's probably just gonna b the $5 like RoG was/is. 

I was wondering, why isn't this subforum moved into the Don't Starve General Discussion, where there are the other 2 tabs, ROG and DST?

They aren't in Early Access. This subforum is primarily for getting feedback about the DLC, and fixing bugs/crashes.

seems like this is how most people feel.

Ive actually been avoiding progress becuz i dont want to be disappointed by this hellish season approaching.

It's not that bad. Just don't be on your home island and it's easy to avoid. Plus by the end of monsoon season you usually want to go out and do some adventuring and the volcano is a perfect excuse to head out into the open seas.

Also you get about half a day of warning ahead of time so it's easy to prepare for.

I like it, keeps things tense and is a fresh mechanic.

It's not that bad. Just don't be on your home island and it's easy to avoid. Plus by the end of monsoon season you usually want to go out and do some adventuring and the volcano is a perfect excuse to head out into the open seas.

Also you get about half a day of warning ahead of time so it's easy to prepare for.

I like it, keeps things tense and is a fresh mechanic.

running/rowing in circles for 2 hours is definitely fun

Okay, we're getting a tiny but off topic there are about 4 threads of this already.

Edited by Dylan738
  • Like 1

running/rowing in circles for 2 hours is definitely fun

Okay, we're getting a tiny but off topic there are about 4 threads of this already.

Two hours? I've only had it last a couple of minutes at most with at least a day in between eruptions.

If it's lasting two hours then that's definitely something that needs to be adjusted.

Edited by OrderedChaos

This may sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to have RoG and SW enabled at the same time? In the 'Start a New Game' menu, it will only allow me to select either RoG or SW, not both. Selecting one deselects the other.

Not right now but in the future you will be able to.