Why make Shipwrecked for DS and not DST from the start?

Please provide reasoning for this. We all constantly play DST. DS doesn't even work when you are offline (cannot retrieve game key when ever I try) but DST still does. Anyone can play DST single player but DS being single player while awesome and wonderful has that one major limitation being stuck as single player... You can never share the fun with others. Well not beyond screenshots, which is certainly not the same...

Releasing new content to the single player game first such as the inspired "Reign of Giants DLC" forced you to spend much time, effort and money to reproduce that work in DST where the fan base had instantly leaped. In fact only last week did you release caves for DST and then ONLY on persistent servers.

I still love DS but I play DST with friends and family and will find it difficult to purchase this expansion if it is only for single player. This hurts as I have loved every DS and DST based anything released. Even purchased other titles simply because they were made by the makers of DS and DST, simply because they heard us and made DST in the first place.

I just don't understand why any expansion would be for DS and not DST. I hope you reconsider this direction and focus on DST which can support both fan bases, single player and multiplayer moving forward.

long Live Klei!

from http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59157-shipwrecked-update-november-17th-2015/

Will Shipwrecked work with DST?

An awesome idea, but right now Shipwrecked is single player only.

===

From that it sounds like they're considering it! 

I personally prefer playing with others, but I can see why they might be hesitant to bring shipwrecked in straight away.  Shipwrecked is not being developed by Klei directly, and as far as I can see it throws a whole load of new mechanics into the mix.  I can't see any reason it won't eventually merge with DST, but for now, it's another early access release, and they're probably better perfecting it away from the work that is being done on DST.  

Shipwrecked is going to be insta buy for me, on a side note, can I buy this at midnight tonight GMT ?! :p 

Because Shipwrecked was a different project that started before Don't Starve Together.

Separate timelines.

Don't Starve Together will get Through the Ages on Sol Year 2177 on the Fall-Spring comet equinox.

Couldn't have said it better myself  :grin: . 

Anyway as far as lore goes (and my knowledge about it) DST is somewhere after Adventure mode and apparently Wilson got free from the nightmare throne (hopefully TtA will answer some questions about who is in charge of the world now that Maxwell and Wilson are both free from that throne) ... but there is no lore about SW I suppose it's before adventure mode . I really hope they will give us some lore about SW too , after all that's one of the most interesting parts in DS (and the puzzles)

My point is that it will be like RoG (maybe) not really connected to the main story so it can exist in DST lore  

Well, I guess it wasn't that difficult!

"I still love DS but I play DST with friends and family and will find it difficult to purchase this expansion if it is only for single player. This hurts as I have loved every DS and DST based anything released. Even purchased other titles simply because they were made by the makers of DS and DST, simply because they heard us and made DST in the first place."

Picked it up without regard for any of my above argument...

Help I am a Fanboy!

Clearly you folks saying "really, we play DST alot?" have never bothered to look up the stats on the titles and compared them... Because, Yes, we are...

http://steamspy.com/app/322330

http://steamspy.com/app/219740

More so DST than DS...

Yeah, but you also gotta consider that DST is multiplayer, so by nature, there will be 2 or more people who own and play the game at any given time. That skews stats, you can't look at them and compare everything 1-to-1. Lets also not forget that Klei gave DST for free to all prior owners of DS in June. So despite DST having over 500K more owners, it's not actually relevant to how many people are playing the game or how often.

Sadly, there was a mass exodus of players and forum members when DST was initially announced. We lost some really good people, but I understand - they had very strong feelings about it all, made their decision, and they've been missed =( I'm saying this because it means that plenty of owners of DST have not and will not play DST, ever.

Instead of looking at the total owners, or even past 2 weeks player stats (since that can and will fluctuate wildly due to holidays, time off from school, vacations, content releases/changes, etc), check this out:

DST:   Players total: 2,087,507 ± 35,962 (59.66%)

DS:   Players total: 2,544,854 ± 39,672 (86.15%)

Anecdotally, I prefer and play more DS than I do DST, although I do love both.

As to your original post, the others covered it pretty well. SW was in development for singleplayer before multiplayer was even a reality. Players of DS had been begging for more content, and Klei partnered with Capy to work on delivering it. Meanwhile, another team had only just begun dreaming up DST.

Joe and Jan have stated (in their respectively linked threads) that while Klei thinks it's a great idea to bring SW content to DST, they'd like to make sure that both games are polished and complete before considering that challenge. Although they seem similar on the outside, the coding changes underneath are actually quite different, so singleplayer content is not compatible with multiplayer content right off the bat. I'm happy to let them complete these ongoing projects before moving on to the next... I'm still waiting for TTA to come to DST!

Clearly you folks saying "really, we play DST alot?" have never bothered to look up the stats on the titles and compared them... Because, Yes, we are...

http://steamspy.com/app/322330

http://steamspy.com/app/219740

More so DST than DS...

Clearly, we're saying we don't all constantly play DST  ;)

Edit:  Completely Ninja'd and slain by @imsomony and their much better post on the subject.

Yeah, but you also gotta consider that DST is multiplayer, so by nature, there will be 2 or more people who own and play the game at any given time. That skews stats, you can't look at them and compare everything 1-to-1...

I was about to say something similar to imsomony's opening statement. I think anyone who plays DST can see the potential awesomeness of added Shipwrecked to multiplayer but think about it.

Caves have been a thing in DS for a good while now but they were only just added to DST. You can't just copy paste the game and write 'MULTIPLAYER VERSION' on it in sharpie. A lot of work goes into coding and balancing a game. Don't Starve and Reign of Giants stood on their own before DST was ready for launch. Even now DST is still technically beta, right?

Anyway, just keep in mind that great games aren't made overnight. I would rather Klei take their time and do it right than just try and stuff everything into DST.

(Not to mention DST needs a lot of adjustments as far as pvp goes, in my opinion.)

Archived