My servers suddenly always have a ping of

I'm not sure why, but for some reason when I host a server (both dedicated and nondedicated) the ping always shows up as "???". A couple of my friends mentioned this yesterday to me. Previously the ping showed 30-50 for them (they live in the same state). There aren't any errors in the logs that I can see, and my internet is also fine so I'm not sure what the issue is. Does anyone know what can cause this?

I assume "???" means that the server didn't ping back yet. In other words, the ping is sky-high. I have yet to successfully join a "???"-ping server.

Thats the weird part. I can always join mine and others with '???' as ping.

Also there never is lag and host is always green.

• Developer
I assume "???" means that the server didn't ping back yet. In other words, the ping is sky-high

No, it means the server couldn't be pinged (because it's behind a firewall or router that doesn't allow a direct connection). It does not indicate a high ping (or low ping for that matter, it simply can't indicate anything about ping, hence the question marks). 

No, it means the server couldn't be pinged (because it's behind a firewall or router that doesn't allow a direct connection). It does not indicate a high ping (or low ping for that matter, it simply can't indicate anything about ping, hence the question marks).

How can we solve this?

What port should we open that isn't also necessary for the game to run?

• Developer

How can we solve this?

What port should we open that isn't also necessary for the game to run?

If you want your server to be pingable, you must open the port listed under server_port in your settings.ini file in your router. By default, this is 10999. If you're running a caves server as well, you may want to open that port in your router too.

Archived