Hosting Caves with the Preconfigured Servers

• Developer

(15/02/2016) IMPORTANT: The pre-configured servers option is being phased out, see here for a guide to set up a new dedicated server: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/64380-running-your-old-preconfigured-servers/

Want to host your own world with caves but are daunted by running your own dedicated server? Fear no more! We've made an option for you to launch your very own Overworld and Caves servers with almost no setup required!

Here's what you need to do:

post-202401-0-17343200-1447885552_thumb.

1) Install the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in steam. You can find this by clicking on the "Library" header in Steam and choosing "Tools". Then install the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server from the list.

Once it has installed...

post-202401-0-46435300-1447885552_thumb.

2) Double-click to run the Dedicated Server and choose "Run Pre-configured Servers" from the pop-up.

This will pop open two windows, one for the Overworld and one for the Cave. Congrats! Your servers are running!

If you don't get this pop-up, you will need to force an update: right click on Don't Starve Together Dedicate Server > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Tool Cache. It should work for a little bit, and then be ready to go.

But you'll probably want to customize them a little so...

post-202401-0-70893900-1447885552.png

3) Shut down your dedicated servers. This is something you'll be doing a lot, so pay attention! Don't shut them down by closing the window, instead, select the window and type c_shutdown() and press the enter key. This will make sure the game saves before the server closes!

post-202401-0-00989300-1447885553_thumb.

4) Edit your settings.ini to customize the server how you want. You may wish to change the game mode, the server name and description, max players, and server intention.

To do this, edit the file settings.ini found in the easyconfig overworld folder, at My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld\.

Then just change the values next to these settings:

game_mode = survival    (can be survival, endless, or wilderness)
max_players = 6    (any number from 2-6 should work great)
default_server_description = It's my world!    (describe your world!)
default_server_name = Ipsquiggle's World    (Give it a unique name!)
server_intention = cooperative    (can be cooperative, social, competitive, or madness)

If you want the server to be lan-only, then put this option on a new line right underneath server_intention:

lan_only_server = true

Save that file and then...

5) Launch your servers, for real this time! Go back to steam and choose the Run Pre-Configured Servers option once more.

6) Have fun spelunking! Wheeee!

7) When you are done, close your servers cleanly. As above, do this by selecting each of the two server windows, and typing c_shutdown() and pressing enter. This will save and shut down your server. Otherwise your progress will be lost back until the in-game morning.

When I tried for the first time the server tool I select play don't starve together dedicated server, now the popup doesn't appear, how can I run the pre configured servers?, the DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld\ directory does not appear

When I tried for the first time the server tool I select play don't starve together dedicated server, now the popup doesn't appear, how can I run the pre configured servers?, the DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld\ directory does not appear

The popup doesnt appear for me either

I'm having the exact same problem, so I think you are not alone on this one. 

When I double click on "Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server" it just opens a command line interface window without the popup. I'm using Windows 10 btw.

hey, 

managed to get to the popup by following this guide on option 3)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/57890-playing-caves-beta/

hey, 

managed to get to the popup by following this guide on option 3)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/57890-playing-caves-beta/

Thanks, I tried this a few minutes ago but the problem doesn't solve, maybe I doing something wrong, are they supposed to be 2 windows right? I have just one, I get this and then It stops and I only can close it

capture.jpg

someone have the same issue?

I have a server running now with Overworld and Caves. Yay! HOWEVER, when I try to join my dedicated server it's saying "Version Mismatch - The server is on a newer version than you. Well, what are you doing just sitting there? Go and get the new version!"

I've tried to verify the local cache files and restarted steam multiple times. In addition, I've set DST updating to a top priority in properties and to update first before all other games.

Any other suggestions about how I can join my server?

Maybe a silly question but I want to launch dedicated sever for both worlds, without starting over. Instead, I want to import my saves for a specific game in the dedicated "Overworld" server, to keep playing on that game and have access to the new Caves.

Is this possible ? If it is, how can I do that ? Thanks for your help.

Hi there!

I don't know a thing about dedicated servers, so I chose to install the DST Dedicated Server, and manage to have the pop-up of step 1 by reading other people comment.

Problem is: after step 6, it seems it's clear like water for others, but I truly don't know where to found/launch the server! What should I do?

Open my normal game? (I tried that and didn't found the server)

Launch the dedicated server in the pop-up? (doesn't do anything except launching a command window)

Another thing?

I think the most logical thing would be launching the dedicated server with stream, but it doesn't open me a game, the window say something about an authentification token, and I don't understand the explanations.

Thank you in advance for the help!

In order to see your dedicated server in server list you will also need to go to DST beta - properties - betas - select cavesbeta-local files - verify integrity of your cache. these actions will update your game client and you will be able to see your server while you browse servers in game as usual.

What kinda bothers me now is how to setup a password to this dedicated server so only those i want would join.

Can someone pls help me... after hours of trying and reading i managed to get to Part 6. but i have absolutely no idea how to find or start the Server... I think it has to do something with he dedicatet Server Token but i have no idea...

Ok, So I Can confirm that this setup works as prescribed.  

Those of you wanting to add a password to your server:

-refer to step 4 and open the aforementioned "settings.ini" text file

-within the text-file look for the section  [network] and under the "server_port = ..." line,  add the following:

server_password = your_password_goes_here 

should look something like this:

[NETWORK]
default_server_name = name_your_server
default_server_description = A very nice server description
server_port = 10999
server_password = your_password_goes_here

Now,  I have a question regarding world generation options using this method.   It appears that even with a "worldgenoverride.lua" file within the overworld folder, it does not generate the world as per my specifications. 

Within the console I can change things like season length, and time per day per season, but I would like to be able to set world size and the various spawn parameters.  

Any suggestions?

Archived