Running your old preconfigured servers.

• Developer

The pre-configured servers option is being phased out, see here for a guide to set up a new dedicated server:

If you have already created servers using this option, you should still be able to run them by following these steps:

First, you might want to make a backup of your server data, as we're currently looking into some issues with migrating save data from older versions of the game. The two folders you'll want to create a backup of are:

DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigOverworld and DoNotStarveTogether_EasyConfigCaves  

You'll find these folders here:                                                  

PC: Go to your documents folder at Documents\klei\                               
Mac: Go to your documents folder at ~/Documents/Klei/                            
Linux: Go to your Klei folder at ~/.klei/                                        

After you've backed up these folders, you'll need to find and run a script to start the servers.

If you installed the dedicated server using the steam client, you'll need to do the following:

On Windows:                                                                      

Right-click on "Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server" in steam, click "Properties", "Local Files", "Browse Local Files", navigate into the "bin" folder, then the "scripts" folder, then double-click on "launch_preconfigured_servers.bat".

On Linux:                                                                        

In a terminal, enter the following command, including quotes: "./.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/bin/scripts/launch_preconfigured_servers.sh"

On Macs:                                                                         
Open a terminal, and enter the following command, including quotes: "./Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.app/Contents/MacOS/scripts/launch_preconfigured_servers.sh"

If you installed the dedicated server using steamcmd, navigate to "steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/bin/scripts" under your steamcmd installation directory. There you should find a script called "launch_preconfigured_servers.bat" or "launch_preconfigured_servers.sh", depending on your platform, run this script to start the preconfigured servers.

• Developer

@lovec3 You'll need to make sure that your dedicated server, and your friend's game are on the same version. If you tried to play shortly after we did an update, it's possible that one of you got the update, and the other one hasn't yet. If it hasn't started working yet, you'll both need to close the program (the dedicated server for you, the game for her), right click on it in steam, click Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game or Tool Cache. This should ensure that you have the latest version of everything.

Okay i am giving it up!

I am hosting several game servers myself (other games) but i am not able to host DST servers..

I tried on linux: Tons of errors (missing dependencies; maybe include them as other games do?)

Windows: I can start the preconfigured servers just fine but i cant change any settings. There is a settings.ini in the users Documents directory but the file is empty...

Archived