A creepy laugh...

Generally I avoid killing unless I really messed up, so I never quite encountered it before, but just now I heard a creepy laugh play over the speakers when my Sharp shot and killed a guard.

I'm still not quite sure if I was imagining things but I thought it did fit into Sharp's psycho personality.

Sadly I was playing with no rewinds so I couldn't test it to see if the sound would repeat, but if it is an intended feature, that is a nice little detail there, Klei!

Easy to check: turn music to 0 and start new game alt-Decker/Shalem + Sharp, if it's not work with regular guards - go hunting for cyberguards (guy who merge his body with machine hate guys who merge their consciousness with cyberspace?).

Ah, I know what you're talking about. I've heard that creepy laugh every now and then when I kill a guard. Sometimes its a normal guard. Sometimes its a modded guard, but its always creepy whenever I hear it. And I don't always have Sharp, so its probably from the guards. Which I don't understand either. But it is creepy as hell.

It does not seem to be confined to certain types of guards. It might be completely random, but 'The laugh' happened to me more often when I killed multiple guards in a single mission. I remember the first time hearing that laugh, and I was petrified for a moment because I was totally not expecting a laugh from a dead guard. Klei really has a 'twisted' taste of humor, which I really love! 

It was Plastech, but just a normal guard and not a Modded MKI. Sharp had the anatomy analysis augment, not sure if there is any connection there. 

Definitely found it reassuring that I wasn't the only one who had heard that laugh though, so thanks for confirming! That unexpected laugh is pretty creepy, especially if you happen to be playing late at night and everyone else is asleep and you're not quite sure if you REALLY heard it or not. Or if it actually came from the speakers or... something else in the same room as you. :spidercowers:  

I have to find this laugh now.  I swear I've heard sighs or catches of breath at various points, too.

I believe that must have been some guards nearby, hidden from sight. Just like you can hear camera drones or a console, you can hear a guard nearby without having visual on him. The feature seemed to have been added when the game was fully released, possibly in consideration of the option of hiding Danger Zones.

I've noticed there's a sound effect for when the guards take a smoke. Can't say I've heard it without having vision of the guard doing it though.

For the laugh on kills; I wouldn't put it past Klei to make it random, like 20% chance per kill for example. My initial assumption that it's from Plastech cyberguards is probably biased because I mercilessly slaughter them compared to other guards.

Archived