Tuft gives too many research points

Digging up grass and using it for research removes that grass spawn forever, while gold is infinitely attainable via the pig king, so that might be the logic that is behind the current research point values.

Anyway, the current research system is set to be completely replaced Soon, with research points likely being removed altogether.

While permanently removing a single resource node isn't a big deal, razing a large amount of grass for RP could come back and haunt the player in the future, since there's no way to get those nodes back.

In the long run, the current ease of getting research points doesn't matter. It was recently made to be easier than it used to be because the devs acknowledged that the research system was too grindy, but the new system wasn't ready yet. You can read up on the potential plans for the new system in this thread if you want, though the thread is more of a discussion of possibilities between the devs and the players, and I don't think anything absolutely concrete about the upcoming new research system has been confirmed yet.

While permanently removing a single resource node isn't a big deal, razing a large amount of grass for RP could come back and haunt the player in the future, since there's no way to get those nodes back.

Research points stay even after you die so really that isn't anything at all. If people wanted to exploit it they could.Play, get grass tufts, research a bunch, die purposely, new world with all new grass and loads of research.

Research points stay even after you die so really that isn't anything at all. If people wanted to exploit it they could.

Play, get grass tufts, research a bunch, die purposely, new world with all new grass and loads of research.

Even back when research costs were much higher, I did my own version of that exploit by restarting a map that had a spawn close to a graveyard over and over again.

All I'm trying to say is that it's unlikely that Klei is going to adjust research points/costs again since the entire system is going to be replaced Soon (and it's becoming a popular idea for research to reset upon death in the new system), and Klei fairly recently made it easy to get RP on purpose, as well as greatly reduced research costs, so the old system wouldn't feel grindy while they get the new one ready to go live.

Even back when research costs were much higher, I did my own version of that exploit by restarting a map that had a spawn close to a graveyard over and over again.

All I'm trying to say is that it's unlikely that Klei is going to adjust research points/costs again since the entire system is going to be replaced Soon (and it's becoming a popular idea for research to reset upon death in the new system), and Klei fairly recently made it easy to get RP on purpose, as well as greatly reduced research costs, so the old system wouldn't feel grindy while they get the new one ready to go live.

I would like and not like it at the same time if they were to reset upon death. It's good because it makes it more of a challenge opposed to unlocking everything then effortlessly crafting them all. I don't like it because it takes all of the time and effort (or exploiting) that you put into the research in the first time. In the end I would rather it reset though as it gives something to keep you busy.