It seems like there's a lull in player activity. How can we inject some energy into the community?

ALSO, I keep imagining what DS would be if DST hadn't come along.

ALSO, I keep imagining what DST would be if DS hadn't further to be developed

Hey man that's not nice.

Same to the griefers

If this foolishness and selfishness have not so broadly existed, we all would ve a better game experience - not to mention, that we never would need to think or waste time of a banning-system. It doesn't matter how much better DS or DST would have been, what matters is, what we or the Klei-developers want and like to do! No one also forces you what todo, you guys can also create mods with you own ideas, like everyone else. You can even continue to hate, we tolerate that.

No... no... you're wrong - not to be condescending, but this is the kind of suggestion that ruins games and developers.  It is the multiplayer aspect of it combined with the people of these times.  We live in a time where instant gratification and impatience are ridiculously prevalent.  You'll notice that in multiplayer it is rare that you will find players dedicating and committing to a proper, serious whack at a world.  Theres this vibe of 'this could be minecraft right now'.

Notice the multiplayer games that are the biggest right now.  What are they all doing that's the same?  They're all not actually as good as they are popular - weird.  Another thing: they're spewing out content updates and hype as much as they can.  League of Legends is fun, but it does not deserve the title of world's most played game.  My point is that people who are feeling what you are come and complain 'I think we need more content because we're all feelin' a bit bored here', when you don't even realise that your multiplayer experience will inherently be boring because of the nature of people these days.  

No matter how many updates DST will get, after a few months of no updates people will start droppin' off because their need for a constant flow of cheap candy will be found elsewhere.

Single  player games don't have this problem, and it's where Klei should have kept this game.  God dangit, DST is going to **** up DS :(

This is why I don't think more content is solely the answer to the problem. There will never be enough content. Most people cannot be sated no matter how much they receive. With each update they will simply focus evermore on all that hasn't yet materialized. It becomes the classic mistake of chasing your tail, never reaching fulfillment, spinning right into the gutter because such a model is unsustainable (unless you happen to be a global phenomenon).

I think Klei in their infinite wisdom foresaw this, and that's why they pushed modding so hard in the beginning.

Hey man that's not nice.

Heh, you'd be the first to go since you neatly documented all of your shenanigans. There'd still be plenty of servers for you to terrorize. It'd just be there for the people who want a better chance at a public server with good-intentioned inhabitants instead of just driving them away entirely.

No... no... you're wrong - not to be condescending, but this is the kind of suggestion that ruins games and developers.  It is the multiplayer aspect of it combined with the people of these times.  We live in a time where instant gratification and impatience are ridiculously prevalent.  You'll notice that in multiplayer it is rare that you will find players dedicating and committing to a proper, serious whack at a world.  Theres this vibe of 'this could be minecraft right now'.

Notice the multiplayer games that are the biggest right now.  What are they all doing that's the same?  They're all not actually as good as they are popular - weird.  Another thing: they're spewing out content updates and hype as much as they can.  League of Legends is fun, but it does not deserve the title of world's most played game.  My point is that people who are feeling what you are come and complain 'I think we need more content because we're all feelin' a bit bored here', when you don't even realise that your multiplayer experience will inherently be boring because of the nature of people these days.  

No matter how many updates DST will get, after a few months of no updates people will start droppin' off because their need for a constant flow of cheap candy will be found elsewhere.

Single  player games don't have this problem, and it's where Klei should have kept this game.  God dangit, DST is going to **** up DS :(

In actuality, spending two to three hours for something to happen isn't the most exciting use of the day anyhow.

It's not entirely that we're impatient--at least, personally--it's because it's too time consuming.

You're correct that in this day and age, someone would probably play some game like TF2 for three hours because of its fast pace instead of DST where it takes forever for something exciting to happen.

Someone kills time because they want to enjoy themselves in the time they kill.

If there's nothing to kill during that time, it isn't enjoyable, at least not to the prior extent.

Why would anyone want to spend so much time waiting for a game to dynamisize?

Especially with a game in front of screen that has no benefit in any way but raw entertainment?

I'd rather distract the guilt of wasting my life away with fast, quick thinking games instead of one that requires as much thinking and planning as life does because I'd like to do the latter with my actual life.

I understand your point, my friend - as a kid professionally wasting time on  games I always asked questions (to myself) pertaining the value of the quick bursts of game funtimes or the drawn out, more wholesome kind (like in Don't Starve, or a big adventure game), and over the years of all these questionings I found that the kind of 'quantity over quality' game that is so prevalent these days, catering to the quicker (and shittier :p) work/school lives of us all, aren't really worth it.  

One could play 1000 hours of one session-based game like LoL or Battlefield and, years later, wouldn't even be able to look back on even 10% of those hours thinking fond, nostalgic memories.  These kinds of games are things you inject into your brain for 'in-the-moment' type pleasures... which sounds a lot like fuckin' heroin to me :p

I still haven't answered the question that is "Does our lifestyles actually support the more time = reward' (as opposed to time = static enjoyment) style games, or are we all just too addicted to it to truly give the other side a chance?".  So I don't pluckin' know, really :3

In actuality, spending two to three hours for something to happen isn't the most exciting use of the day anyhow.

It's not entirely that we're impatient--at least, personally--it's because it's too time consuming.

You're correct that in this day and age, someone would probably play some game like TF2 for three hours because of its fast pace instead of DST where it takes forever for something exciting to happen.

Someone kills time because they want to enjoy themselves in the time they kill.

If there's nothing to kill during that time, it isn't enjoyable, at least not to the prior extent.

Why would anyone want to spend so much time waiting for a game to dynamisize?

Especially with a game in front of screen that has no benefit in any way but raw entertainment?

I'd rather distract the guilt of wasting my life away with fast, quick thinking games instead of one that requires as much thinking and planning as life does because I'd like to do the latter with my actual life.

I suppose this highlights different types of gamers. The general principle for gamers like myself and quite possibly SoupyDelicious, is that the work is rewarding, and you're able to enjoy the late game so much more when it all comes together because you've worked for it. A simple example of this would be using cheats in a game like Don't Starve; spawning in what you need to get a head start or to not have to make that trip across the map. I tried this quite early in my single player experience after dying a great many times, all it got was me was sitting around wondering what to do in my massive super base. After that I decided to invest time and learn how the game works so I can do it without cheating. So not only did I invest a great deal of time in one world "waiting for something to happen", I invested time in many worlds only to lose it all to perma-death as a learning experience. Once I did this enough times I learnt the ropes and had some huge games that I have very fond memories of and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. 

Now a game a paid £6 for originally has kept me entertained for years and could be rated as quite possibly my favourite game. I loved the Halo games, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, even bloody Alex the Kid; they will always hold a place in my heart, but the experience I've had in games like Don't Starve, Minecraft (running Better than Wolves Mod), Gnomoria, Rome: Total War and so on, have been infinitely better.  

Edit: Spelling

Yeah, I feel you :p  though I learned that cheating my way into easiness didn't work out for funtimes many years ago, probably because of my dad.  I would be playin Age of Empires and wanting to just win so I'd type in the Big Daddy cheat (spawns a convertible car with some guy holding a missile launcher... in the bronze ages), and my big daddy would come and enforce the idea that it was unhealthy to get used to using these cheats.  Leave it for an occasion said he.  Guess the lesson was learned x)

I loved Halo, by the way.  Some seriously magical experiences with Halo (1 and 3 is what I'm talking bout).  Although that was a session based game, I found that it was totally not designed around the 'I NEED MY QUICK FIX OF FUNRIGHTNOW' player like fuckin they all are these days.  Damn, I could spend hours just exploring the lands in the campaigns just because of how magical it all seemed.  I think me being a patient little kid also helped.

The first 3 Halos were just brilliant! Me and my pals used to spend hours playing through the campaigns on all the different difficulties, then more hours playing link up. One of the big ones I left out has to be Heroes of Might and Magic 2/3. Me and my brother spent hours and hours playing that. Where has turn based, hot seat gaming went? It's such a good method of multiplayer. 

Anyway, I think this topic has become completely derailed, then again the myth about player decline was dispelled quite early in the thread by a mod. 

Archived