Examining GENERIC_MALE and FEMALE characters differently.

• Developer

I want my character to examine generic male characters differently than generic female characters, example:

GENERIC_MALE_PLAYER = (Yes, I know that's now how you call their examination BUT EXAMPLE):

{
            GENERIC = "%s is a good example of the common beta swine you'll find in this place.",
            ATTACKER = "Don't get near M'ladies, %s!",
            MURDERER = "Shall we have a gentlemanly match?",
            REVIVER = "%s is almost as gentleman as I am.",
            GHOST = "%s seems to need to be revived by a gentleman, like me!",
        },

GENERIC_FEMALE_PLAYER = 
{
            GENERIC = "What a pleasure to have M'lady here with me!",
            ATTACKER = "Calm down, M'lady. I'm here!",
            MURDERER = "M'lady, have you killed someone? \nHopefully it was a beta.",
            REVIVER = "You revived someone, M'lady! I hope it wasn't a Neanderthalic beta...",
            GHOST = "My love and respect for you still lives on, M'lady!",
        },

So, is this possible or am I just thinking too high and should face reality?

@ImDaMisterL, put this in modmain:

local STRINGS = GLOBAL.STRINGSlocal GetGenderStrings = GLOBAL.GetGenderStringslocal speechreadygenders = {	FEMALE = true,	MALE = true,}local function GetStatus(inst, viewer)	local status = "GENERIC"    if inst:HasTag("playerghost") then        status = "GHOST"    elseif inst.hasRevivedPlayer then        status = "REVIVER"    elseif inst.hasKilledPlayer then        status = "MURDERER"    elseif inst.hasAttackedPlayer then        status = "ATTACKER"    end	local gendermod = GetGenderStrings(inst.prefab)	gendermod = (speechreadygenders[gendermod] and gendermod) or "MALE"	return status.."_"..gendermodendAddPlayerPostInit(function(inst)	local old_spdesc = inst.components.inspectable.getspecialdescription	inst.components.inspectable.getspecialdescription = function(inst, viewer)		--change "willow" to "wolfgang", for example		if viewer.prefab == "willow" then			local modifier = GetStatus(inst, viewer)			--change WILLOW to WOLFGANG, for example			local charstrings = STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WILLOW			local playerdesc = charstrings.DESCRIBE.PLAYER			return string.format(playerdesc[modifier], inst:GetDisplayName())		else			return old_spdesc(inst, viewer)		end	endend)

and change like the comments say, to the prefab of your character.

This will enable more statuses, so on your speech file, you put:

DESCRIBE =	{		PLAYER =		{			GENERIC_MALE = "%s is a good example of the common beta swine you'll find in this place.",			GENERIC_FEMALE = "What a pleasure to have M'lady here with me!",			ATTACKER_MALE = "Don't get near M'ladies, %s!",			ATTACKER_FEMALE = "Calm down, M'lady. I'm here!",			MURDERER_MALE = "Shall we have a gentlemanly match?",			MURDERER_FEMALE = "M'lady, have you killed someone? \nHopefully it was a beta.",			REVIVER_MALE = "%s is almost as gentleman as I am.",			REVIVER_FEMALE = "You revived someone, M'lady! I hope it wasn't a Neanderthalic beta...",			GHOST_MALE = "%s seems to need to be revived by a gentleman, like me!",			GHOST_FEMALE =  "My love and respect for you still lives on, M'lady!",		},... etc.
Edited by DarkXero

I want my character to examine generic male characters differently than generic female characters, example:

GENERIC_MALE_PLAYER = (Yes, I know that's now how you call their examination BUT EXAMPLE):

{
            GENERIC = "%s is a good example of the common beta swine you'll find in this place.",
            ATTACKER = "Don't get near M'ladies, %s!",
            MURDERER = "Shall we have a gentlemanly match?",
            REVIVER = "%s is almost as gentleman as I am.",
            GHOST = "%s seems to need to be revived by a gentleman, like me!",
        },

GENERIC_FEMALE_PLAYER = 
{
            GENERIC = "What a pleasure to have M'lady here with me!",
            ATTACKER = "Calm down, M'lady. I'm here!",
            MURDERER = "M'lady, have you killed someone? \nHopefully it was a beta.",
            REVIVER = "You revived someone, M'lady! I hope it wasn't a Neanderthalic beta...",
            GHOST = "My love and respect for you still lives on, M'lady!",
        },

So, is this possible or am I just thinking too high and should face reality?

Man, whoever's lines those are must be really euphoric, if you know what I mean.

Also, I noticed

"          REVIVER = "%s is almost as gentleman as I am.","

Might wanna look into this....

Edited by Dudedude

• Developer

@ImDaMisterL, put this in modmain:

local STRINGS = GLOBAL.STRINGSlocal GetGenderStrings = GLOBAL.GetGenderStringslocal speechreadygenders = {	FEMALE = true,	MALE = true,}local function GetStatus(inst, viewer)	local status = "GENERIC"    if inst:HasTag("playerghost") then        status = "GHOST"    elseif inst.hasRevivedPlayer then        status = "REVIVER"    elseif inst.hasKilledPlayer then        status = "MURDERER"    elseif inst.hasAttackedPlayer then        status = "ATTACKER"    end	local gendermod = GetGenderStrings(inst.prefab)	gendermod = (speechreadygenders[gendermod] and gendermod) or "MALE"	return status.."_"..gendermodendAddPlayerPostInit(function(inst)	local old_spdesc = inst.components.inspectable.getspecialdescription	inst.components.inspectable.getspecialdescription = function(inst, viewer)		--change "willow" to "wolfgang", for example		if viewer.prefab == "willow" then			local modifier = GetStatus(inst, viewer)			--change WILLOW to WOLFGANG, for example			local charstrings = STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WILLOW			local playerdesc = charstrings.DESCRIBE.PLAYER			return string.format(playerdesc[modifier], inst:GetDisplayName())		else			return old_spdesc(inst, viewer)		end	endend)

and change like the comments say, to the prefab of your character.

This will enable more statuses, so on your speech file, you put:

DESCRIBE =	{		PLAYER =		{			GENERIC_MALE = "%s is a good example of the common beta swine you'll find in this place.",			GENERIC_FEMALE = "What a pleasure to have M'lady here with me!",			ATTACKER_MALE = "Don't get near M'ladies, %s!",			ATTACKER_FEMALE = "Calm down, M'lady. I'm here!",			MURDERER_MALE = "Shall we have a gentlemanly match?",			MURDERER_FEMALE = "M'lady, have you killed someone? \nHopefully it was a beta.",			REVIVER_MALE = "%s is almost as gentleman as I am.",			REVIVER_FEMALE = "You revived someone, M'lady! I hope it wasn't a Neanderthalic beta...",			GHOST_MALE = "%s seems to need to be revived by a gentleman, like me!",			GHOST_FEMALE =  "My love and respect for you still lives on, M'lady!",		},... etc.

Thank you so very much, dear sir! :D

• Developer

Off-Topic: Are you sure that's a gentleman swearing about "betas"? A true gentleman pays respect to every person, regardless of their personality or niveau.

#whatwouldlaytonsay

But that's not any gentleman, gentleman.

That's Fedoraplier, one of Markiplier's alter egos.