tier intro, incremented rise in difficulty, high scores, ocean fishing, golden spear

Dear administrators,

The game is thoroughly enjoyable so far. Gotten to day 20-30 several times, and for various reasons haven't gotten farther.

I read that once a world is exhausted, a "new world" portal would open (in an upcoming update?)

Here are a few of my ideas for improvements, based on my knowledge of the game so far.

Being a survival game, difficulty should increase at particular increments.

IMO, a "new world" portal should open when all of the wild beast/spider nests have been conquered. Each succeeding world could be a new tier, adding a static health% and damage% bonus to beasts, pigs, and other members of the community.

The farmers life is a good life, but "DAY 200 TIER 1" is far less impressive than "DAY 50 TIER 3," you follow?

A "high score" forum would introduce a competitive aspect.

Next, I would like to be able to fish in the ocean! Perhaps the rods' abilities could be extended for ocean use? Perhaps a lobster/shrimp cage could be introduced?

How about a Golden Spear? Unlock able upon graduating from world 1 to world 2?

Thanks for your time,

Kev

I believe the new world portal thing is only in the coming story mode, which has not been implemented yet. Right now all we have is free play mode.

As for ocean fishing, I think that would make it fishing a little OP. The devs have already made it clear they are against turtling, and if you can get an endless supply of fish from the ocean, what's to stop people from setting up camp on the coast (as I have done), and just sitting there, fishing forever? Perhaps balance it out with a good chance that fishing in the ocean would hook an angry sea monster of some sort that would be rather difficult to defeat. That's what makes fishing not OP right now; the fact that to fish, you have to go into the dreaded swamps and brave the tentacles. It's dangerous. Add a pretty severe element of danger to sea fishing, and I'll be on board. But until then, I have to say no to that.

Now, moving on to the golden spear: Yes. A thousand times yes. As it stands right now, flint is a finite resource. So are tentacle spikes. If you play in one world long enough, you are going to run out of weapons some day. Gold on the other hand is NOT a finite resource thanks to the pig king. If we could craft a spear out of gold instead of flint, then that would solve the problem of running out of weapons.

True, farming and fishing make surviving easy, especially since the game mode is free play.

I think the game should be goal oriented. For example, the objective could be DESTROY ALL SPIDERS, after which the reward is a more difficult world. With the introduction of a high score forum, players will be inclined to play to the highest tier/world/level fathomable.

Unlocking a new world would result in replenished "finite" resources, further increasing the desire to conquer spiders, subject yourself to the various dangers of the game, explore, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, push players away from the farming mindset!

This article might interest you.

very interesting. thanks!

I can't imagine what changes Klei would want to add to this game, especially after reading that.

The chore list must have been a terrible experience, and I see how completing it would kill motivation to play.

I'm not sure how to improve Don't Starve after the read.

Edited by bigtuna

very interesting. thanks!

I'm not sure how to improve Don't Starve after the read.

Add more challenge or more content :D make it harder for people to achieve their own personal goals, while still being interesting and fun. It might sound a bit mean to think of ways to hinder people's progress, but people might be progressing just a bit too quickly. Right now they're trying to increase the difficulty of the mid-late game, because it's a bit too easy to simply turtle till day 50+ sometimes even longer. The only thing that i've heard was stopping people who have gotten that far is hordes of hounds and a lack of rocks. Oh and the new spider queens.

Amen to the golden spear. Amen, brother.

And as much as it pains me, yes, this is a SURVIVAL game. We must always be on our toes.

That is, unless... in the distant future... a separate mode that allows turtling and farming?

That is, unless... in the distant future... a separate mode that allows turtling and farming?

The plan is for freeplay mode to offer adjustable parameters, so if you wanted a more turtle-friendly game, you'd likely be able to set it to accommodate that playstyle.

The plan is for freeplay mode to offer adjustable parameters, so if you wanted a more turtle-friendly game, you'd likely be able to set it to accommodate that playstyle.

To that, I say "ye-haw". Mightily, in approval.

Right now my problem with the game is that there is nothing to do after you set up a camp, farm, or whatever.

Sure survival is fun, but it gets boring if there is nothing new out there to explore, find, etc..

Sure there's 10 large spider nests over there on that island. It would be challenging to destroy them all (well not if you just burn them all out), but what's the point of it?

I hope to see new items, recipes, monsters (not more types of spiders.. ), etc.. in the future updates.