Insane OCD is driving me crazy!!

So I made 3 chest so i could store some stuff.After making them I went to chop down some wood and get some grass when I came back one of the chest was unaligned with the other 2 chest, this has happen to me 6 times, I don't know if Im going crazy or its the game art style thats doing this.

It makes my OCD go insane...

Help please...

*Falls to the floor crying*

:dread: as I understand, item placement in this game is extremely picky because of the interaction between 2d objects and a technically 3d playing field.

You know how when you rotate the view, some items suddenly jump behind others if they're close enough together?

It's ultimately this; each of the objects on the playing field have a 3D "center of mass" that may not necessarily match up with the 2d image that represents the item. What I am saying is that the 3d center of the item is slightly BEHIND the 2d image, which can play real havoc with you if you need everything straight.

My best advise is to designate a SPECIFIC map direction for when you are placing objects so that items are aligned along the same view. Hopefully this helps to mitigate some of what you are encountering, otherwise, good luck with the coping and stuff : (

:dread: as I understand, item placement in this game is extremely picky because of the interaction between 2d objects and a technically 3d playing field.

Everything is represented using 3D math though, the only "interaction" would be converting your click to a 3D point.

It's ultimately this; each of the objects on the playing field have a 3D "center of mass" that may not necessarily match up with the 2d image that represents the item. What I am saying is that the 3d center of the item is slightly BEHIND the 2d image, which can play real havoc with you if you need everything straight.

Mass is irrelevant, objects are represented by polygons with a texture applied over them.

My best advise is to designate a SPECIFIC map direction for when you are placing objects so that items are aligned along the same view. Hopefully this helps to mitigate some of what you are encountering, otherwise, good luck with the coping and stuff : (

That's good advice.

However, I think the cause of the problem is with floating point precision. To be precise, when the day is over it saves the game and objects are given a position with less resolution than what is stored in memory. Example, suppose the X is at 10.006, while another object is X at 10.004, the first would be 10.01 while the second would be 10.00 (.01 unit difference).

Everything is represented using 3D math though, the only "interaction" would be converting your click to a 3D point.

Mass is irrelevant, objects are represented by polygons with a texture applied over them.

for your first point, it's more of the issue where the image you are placing doesn't match up completely with where the game will ultimately designate it's position from the game's point of view.

Secondly, I am fully aware that mass by it's core definition is irrelevant, I was meaning to convey the fact that the CENTRE of the image is not the same as the physical CENTRE of the object as perceived by the game, it's purely a perception issue between where the player thinks and item is, and where the game thinks the same item is. Mostly, it's akin to aiming for the absolute centre of something when you can actually see the centre.

Sorta like trying to punch someone in only the kidney without hitting the rest of him that's in the way.

Edited by qwerm