I think that DST definitely needs voice chat, since it's hard to type and play at the same time. I think it would be pretty cool if, much like the in-game text chat can only be seen by people who are nearby, the in-game voice chat could only be heard by people who are nearby. 

I think this would be a neat addition to the game! Does anyone else agree?

you can use the steam voice chat or something, it works, is not perfect but works, I know how hard can be send a large message when a varg is trying to eat you but I only want to hear my friends, I never was a frequent user of voice chat in online games, I love the mute player button in that case. After all it could be useful if it has a switch to turn off

What we have now:

Skype/Steam - everyone can hear what you say if you allow them that is...

What OP suggests:

the in-game voice chat could only be heard by people who are nearby.

A valid point though maybe a bit difficult to implement... though maybe using the same mechanics for the dynamic music and anchoring it to the player-character could...

It's up to the devs anyway but I do feel it would be a great Role-playing tool and/or survival realism enhancing element :-)

To only be able to convey...

your words and thoughts...

to those near you...

such need for contact...

both binds a team...

and destroys a life of ease...

To seek out the other souls...

that wander this realm...

for a chance encounter...

a moment of civility...

To talk to someone...

And to nurture your sanity...

But I guess this should be optional if it does get pushed O__O

I think the adding Voice chat to an game like "DST" is an bad idea ,

because ... you know lets say other games like shooters online - you play and someone starts to talk and he doesn't stop , after a while it would get annoying , too if who pushing the voice button has an bad mic it could be annoying.

Examples:

• You playing on an Public  PVP(On) server , you play very good and enjoying the game , but then an random player gets killed by other player and starts to scram at the voice chat (Don't think about children yelling).
  • You playing on an Public Server (Social) , You play very great and you met some friends and you using the local chat (U) and then an some random player starts to put his voice on and plays music.
  • You playing on an Public Coop Server , some player joins and starts asking "where is your base guys?" all the time.

So its the bad part on my opinion , oh and it could make the game lag (i don't know if its possible , cause the game runs very good :3 ) let's say some one that not really care about his computer memory could join and lag , well its not because its an big thing but could be something small.

Oh and their is Steam an Skype and even Mumble or Teamspeak3.

So the good side 

First of all lets start with this ,

I'm sure that the community (i mean by this the type of gamers) of "DST" is not like other community of games , i guess that most of the people that play DST aren't playing this to be good from each other , most of the people i saw playing DST where players that look to play Together and enjoy great games with teamwork .

So how its good? you ask your self (maybe :3?)

well , i not want to give names of other games but lets take an game about "First Person Shooters" got very good graphics and ranks and a lot of weapons and .......

So most of the players that gonna play this kind of game are looking to be Greater then anyone because it has RANKS .

So it's now out of the topic .. but lets get back to it:

So in games about Ranks or stuff like this most of the player base on voice chat will blame hacking (More right "Cheating" cause their no such an thing called hacking in games) on very good player , will yell sometimes in voice , and even annoy you out of your headphones or ah what ever you have.

However , "Don't Starve Together" could do pretty good in voice chat with the next things:

• Ability to mute players on voice chat
  • a way to test how you sound in the game
  • making it local only (so no global voices)
  • Adding more COOP in Coop (at public servers)

And one bad thing :

• [Like how "Pyromailmann" posted] Having two voices on an character will sound stupid , think about wilson having an young boy voice while he still has his an musical voice]

I hope i gave my opinion pretty good , and i might said things over and over  but its my opinion :3   have an good day. 

I think the adding Voice chat to an game like "DST" is an bad idea ,

because ... you know lets say other games like shooters online - you play and someone starts to talk and he doesn't stop , after a while it would get annoying , too if who pushing the voice button has an bad mic it could be annoying.

There's already a mute button; press tab and it's right there by their name.

So its the bad part on my opinion , oh and it could make the game lag (i don't know if its possible , cause the game runs very good :3 ) let's say some one that not really care about his computer memory could join and lag , well its not because its an big thing but could be something small.

Voice chat is pretty lightweight, I don't see it causing lag.  It uses around 4-8 kbs.  An online game uses a lot more than this; but varies widely from game to game. Ping is far more important for online gaming than bandwidth, and a voice chat wouldn't affect how far you are from the server.  https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1spnoj/aggregate_data_on_ps4_internet_usage/

The issue of 'characters having 2 voices' is understandable, but stupid.  Most multiplayer games have characters with their own voice, and still have voice chat.  Take TF2 for example.  Every character certianly has their own voice, and voice chat doesn't distract from this.  

Archived