Is normal don't starve dead?

It wouldn't suprise me if the old code base were dead.  My understanding is they basically had to rewrite the code to support multiplayer?  It would be very inefficient though - I would think - to try to maintain two separate codebase versions of the same game.  So if anything I would presume that perhaps original DS codebase will deadend, but the new codebase would incorporate both DST and DS single player, and they would advance from there together.  Presumably with a converter to convert your old save files.   This makes the most sense to me, but I'm in no way a computer programmer so I could be way off.

It wouldn't suprise me if the old code base were dead.  My understanding is they basically had to rewrite the code to support multiplayer?  It would be very inefficient though - I would think - to try to maintain two separate codebase versions of the same game.  So if anything I would presume that perhaps original DS codebase will deadend, but the new codebase would incorporate both DST and DS single player, and they would advance from there together.  Presumably with a converter to convert your old save files.   This makes the most sense to me, but I'm in no way a computer programmer so I could be way off.

I thought DS is "done" (EDIT: Excluding bugfixes, etc.), and the new DLC (and free RoG wtf) will be for DST only? Sadly I have no insight on DST code (at least the kind I'd prefer), so I can't even guess whether your theory is reasonable. I'd suppose, however, that the differences in the Lua scripts are minimal.

Since you could start / host a private world on DST it makes sense to go forward with DST only from development perspective once all legacy stuff from DS migrated to DST such as RoG DLC. No clue if new DLCs are planned once migration was done, it depends on marketing, business goals and financial results and valuations from Klei.

Changing the marketing strategy by adding new game modes such as PvP tournaments for instance could bring in more people playing the game and result in new DLCs and content.

Thus being said if you want new DLCs, promote the game among your friends. That's what I've done at least.

I believe that DS is now "finished" and all DLC / bug fixes will be focused on DST in the future.

But if you own DS, then you will be gifted a free copy of DST, so if you love Don't Starve and want more content, you'll still be able to get that.

The next reported update is going to be "Through the Ages", which features a focus on multiplayer additions to the DS universe.  And Beefalo riding has been hinted at for it as well.  That's not really a "DLC", however, as it will work like the previous updates to DS.

: )

Archived