Playable Charlie Mod! (Information provided, sound assistance and testing needed!)

AmaLee

Just wanted to say I really love this mod. I like that in this she appears to be afraid of darkness, which makes sense to me since she's no longer the Grue. If you're looking for extra or alternate perks, I think a good one would be for her to start with her red hat and raincoat (with the option to craft them if they expire like most items). Another would be for animals like rabbits and birds not to run from her, given her job as William's/Maxwell's assistant.

But even if you don't add anything new this mod is really wonderful. I've wanted to play Charlie for so long, so thank you for taking the time to make it :D

I would like to report a bug in this mod.

I have found and was able to reproduce this bug.

In the case where Charlie dies too many times in endless mode, the game crashes and Charlie is no longer able to be revived.

The first time I encountered this bug, I was hosting a server and another player was using the Charlie mod. When the other player had died, my screen received the error message and had to restart the server. The other player had disconnected after I exited the game. Upon re-entering the world, Charlie would enter the world as a ghost but anytime she tried to revive (at portal or telltale heart), she would die immediately after and would no longer be able to do any actions. I have tried some console commands, but was not able to find one that would increase other player's health. She was also not able to enter console commands.

I have provided a screenshot of the error message as an attacahment.

And on another note, if anybody could provide any ideas to a temporary solution to get Charlie back to life?

post-612326-0-48196900-1425422127_thumb.

AmaLee - This is a wonderful, high quality character. Thank you for keeping it fairly simple. Some other character mods have just collapsed under too much complexity, or they dramatically change what it means to play Don't Starve. I also like how you're using the dialogue to flesh out Charlie's personality (all the comments on being short). And despite what some folks say about making Charlie immune to the Night Monster, I think it makes perfect sense the way you're characterizing it in her dialogue as Them coming to take her back.

My question, is what kind of play experience are you aiming for? Right now, playing Charlie is a little bit like playing Wolfgang - you manage higher sanity drain and then go out and kill monsters when The Time is Right™.

It sounds like the consensus on this board and the Steam one is that Charlie's defining features are 1) once and future Night Monster; and 2) Maxwell's assistant. Right now, this character is only tapping into one of those.

The raincoat, while a cute callback, doesn't really do anything to define Charlie's character. But the flower in her hair that later ends up in Maxwell's lapel has more emotional resonance.

Thanks again for a great mod.

In the case where Charlie dies too many times in endless mode, the game crashes and Charlie is no longer able to be revived.

The first time I encountered this bug, I was hosting a server and another player was using the Charlie mod. When the other player had died, my screen received the error message and had to restart the server. The other player had disconnected after I exited the game. Upon re-entering the world, Charlie would enter the world as a ghost but anytime she tried to revive (at portal or telltale heart), she would die immediately after and would no longer be able to do any actions. I have tried some console commands, but was not able to find one that would increase other player's health. She was also not able to enter console commands.

And on another note, if anybody could provide any ideas to a temporary solution to get Charlie back to life?

I've encountered this bug myself working with my own mods.  Simply put, if a modded character has less MaxHealth than Wilson, reviving too many times will crash the game, because you technically die from the Jury-Rigged Portal.  There is no in-game death message for skeletons to inform you that a player  died from a jury-rigged portal, so it crashes.

Honestly, i'm not as excited about the darkness perk Charlie has, as I was about her perks when the previous artist, @Sukoushi was working on this.

What this entails is that Charlie has a gruesomeness meter that will climb up when Charlie is in the dark. Gruesomeness goes full, she "dies" and becomes the night monster Grue that we all know. Now, as far as the DST version is concerned, a camera view watching the Grue hunt other players at night would be interesting to see.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/28660-wip-collab-charlie-character-mod/?p=345057 There's even a pre-made script file.

Oh god I am so sorry I did not reply back until now, I had no idea there were new comments on this thread ;;; has the problem still persisted? I have yet to get this error.

Honestly, i'm not as excited about the darkness perk Charlie has, as I was about her perks when the previous artist, @Sukoushi was working on this.

What this entails is that Charlie has a gruesomeness meter that will climb up when Charlie is in the dark. Gruesomeness goes full, she "dies" and becomes the night monster Grue that we all know. Now, as far as the DST version is concerned, a camera view watching the Grue hunt other players at night would be interesting to see.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/28660-wip-collab-charlie-character-mod/?p=345057 There's even a pre-made script file.

aauuugh. I'm so sorry about answering this so darn late. That's super cool! Yes, I saw the charlie mod you guys worked on and was super bummed when it was discontinued.  I didn't wanna go around and take other people's work haha, so I started a new charlie mod on my own. Right now, I'm still the only person working on her (with an occasional bit of assistance from forumgoers when I have questions.)  If you or anyone else on that team are willing to work with me to make her a better character, I'd love to do so!

I've encountered this bug myself working with my own mods.  Simply put, if a modded character has less MaxHealth than Wilson, reviving too many times will crash the game, because you technically die from the Jury-Rigged Portal.  There is no in-game death message for skeletons to inform you that a player  died from a jury-rigged portal, so it crashes.

So I'm guessing there's no fix to this other than raise her health ;;?

If I knew anything at all about modding Don't Starve/DST, except for quotes, I would help you. If you need help getting quotes, please lemme know what you need. Otherwise, i'm sorry....but I can't really be any usable help : X

That's okay! It was neat to hear someone from that original mod, though. Maybe I'll do the forbidden and revive a dead thread, haha.

Archived