Hosting Dedicated Lan Server Issues + Hosting server though in-game client.

Okay so this is a really complex issue that I cannot seem to figure out exactly why it's happening. My dedicated lan server is setup to run on port 10003. However, when I try to host a game in the in-game client to test mods I get:

[00:19:56]: [Warning] Could not confirm port 10999 is open in the firewall. 
[00:19:56]: Setting up socket descriptors
[00:19:56]: [Error] Server failed to start!
[00:19:56]: Unhandled exception during server startup: RakNet UDP startup failed: SOCKET_PORT_ALREADY_IN_USE (5)
[00:19:56]: PushNetworkDisconnectEvent With Reason: "ID_DST_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"

[00:19:56]: Details: SOCKET_PORT_ALREADY_IN_USE

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Developer

As przemolsz said, LAN mode just runs on 10999. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to broadcast UDP traffic, there has to be a single fixed UDP port that broadcast packets can go to because that's the discovery mechanism. The alternative would be that every client on the LAN has to have a modded settings.ini (seems like it would generate more support headache than the dedicated port), or using something like mDNS as a discovery protocol where basically something else is on a fixed port and it announces what the dynamic port of DST is. That one is a lot of work that would take away from other DST development, and of course we'd then probably discover all kinds of fun setups where mDNS doesn't work. :)

@nome, another alternative solution is to host online servers through port 10998 and LAN through port 10999.

This can be an easy change by simply making the default online server in the settings.ini file set to 10998 and it resolves all conflicting issues.

• Developer

@nome, another alternative solution is to host online servers through port 10998 and LAN through port 10999.

This can be an easy change by simply making the default online server in the settings.ini file set to 10998 and it resolves all conflicting issues.

Until someone wants to run two LAN dedicated servers on their PC, or LAN client and LAN dedicated server, right? Those people still have port conflicts unless you go full blown mDNS. If you're on linux, one possible solution is multiple IPs and binding each dedicated server to 10999 on a single IP. TAP network adaptors on a bridge would probably work too. Not sure what the situation on windows is.

@nome, it's true about multiple dedicated lan servers. However, I think both the likelihood of a person trying to host multiple lan servers and hosting a dedicated lan server and trying to test mods through a different server are probably minimal at best, but just thought I'd throw out an alternative solution which would stop at least the latter of the two issues from spawning in the future. :lemo:  

As far as multiple IP on windows goes, I think it's doable with bridges the same as with Linux. I might have to test that and get back in touch with you on my findings.

Archived