The Orchestra

CloakofCrow

Holly was currently having a wonderful dream. She walked home after a rather pleasant day at school with absolute glee, the whole day having gone perfectly. It was a Friday, her older brother had te weekend off from work, and she managed to push the awful dream of being lost in a strange forest out of her head.

She crossed the street, and mere inches in front of her a blue haze zoomed in front of her, causing her to lose her footing and hit the back of her head on the hard street. The ring in her ears from the accident was trumped by the car's loud crash as it collided with a lightpost. It took Holly a moment to realize who's car that was: Brandon's. She sprinted over to it, and pulled her hardest on the door handle. The window shattered, and her brother, bruised and bloodied, tumbled out of the wrecked car.

"H-Holly..." Brandon stuttered as he noticed her on the ground.

"W-Wha... W-Wuh..." He continued and collapsed to the ground.

"Wa... Wak..." It was almost as if he were trying to pronounce his first word. He then looked Holly straight in the eyes, and looked heavily decayed, with greyish-green skin, various red splotches, and a slightly ajar jaw. "Wake up..." He wheezed.

===============

Holly awoke. It wasn't slowly, Nor suddenly, but she just awoke calmly. She saw Ethel squatted down next to her, and saw Bonnie at the entrance of the cellar.

"W-What happened?" Holly muttered as she rubbed her head, which ached horrendously.

"Ah, so it would seem we've had the same problem; you invite people to your house and they steal everything you've loved..." The demon leaned back and lit a cigar, puffing it until the tip turned bright orange, "And that is why I kicked our guest out just awhile ago. Assuming my inference was correct of course... Was it?"

.....................................................................................

Upon exiting the cellar it was much darker than it was before, Opal lies upon the dirt, still unconscious (don't wake up until I say). It was a starless night, and an ominous cold settled upon the town.

Pieces of Turner still lay strewn about and the mechanical piece may continue to function... Nearby buildings look warm and cozy inside and the mansion on the far-side of the town remains dark. The inn looks like it would have beds to sleep in and possibly food. The house Bonnie blew up remains in embers and there is no sign of the creatures that attacked anywhere.

The cellar Holly was in continues deeper but it is hard to see any further from where the puppets stand.

"I-I guess you could say that. I think it would be best explained if I kept going."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eventually the night of the charity banquet my parents were hosting had arrived and I still hadn't seen Jon or Jack since the day they visited the house. I was worried of course, but I never expected anything of ill intention. By this point I had just assumed they were busy and hoped they weren't in any trouble.

The night had been going like it normally does in events like this; My parents introduced me to the guests and then I stayed quiet and out of the way while they talked. We had all already finished the meal, so I sat quietly in the main room while the adults made small talk. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move on the second floor. When I looked up I saw Jack closing a door, then quietly sneak around a corner. Naturally I was surprised. I had to see what he was doing here and where they had been lately, so I went up the stares after him.

"Jack?" I whispered out.

No response, and I couldn't see where he went. After calling out a few more times with no response I was starting wondering if I had imagined it. But I was sure I saw him. It would have been useless looking in every singer room for him, so instead I decided to check out the room I saw him close the door to. There had to be a reason he was there.

After opening the door, I barely had any time to register a small, blinking red light before everything went white. The next thing I realized I was on the floor, and there was a deafening ringing in my ears. Then I felt the pain. My whole head and back ached like I had been slammed into something, and my skin was searing in agonizing pain. I couldn't move. I couldn't see or hear anything other than that ringing. It felt like forever before I finally blacked out.

Edited by MenaAthena

Confused and slightly embarrassed at the sight of Larry in a towel, Shana's nervous wreck of a brain decides to sum up the rest of what happened, as giving all the details might take a considerable amount of time and she didn't want to mess up again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As you've probably guesed, I regained consciousness on a hospital bed with my face and a good portion of my skin in bandages. I was soon after informed by a nurse that I was actually quite lucky. None of my bones were broken despite the force of the impact, my skin would heal with little to no scarring or disfiguration, and the explosion could have very well killed me. However, my retinas had been completely fried. I was blind with little to no chance for recovery. To add to my shock, I was also informed of the investigation that was taking place. Whoever had placed the bomb did so carefully as to not damage anything valuable but close enough to the guests to cause a panic when it went off, and then used the resulting panic to sneak in and take anything they wanted once everyone fled. It was obvious to me who the culprits were, and that I had been used.
I was scheduled to give my testimony to the investigating officers as soon as I was able and inevitably testify in cort. A few days before my release, however, Jon found me. He... he threatened me; said that if I testified againts him and Jack he would bring me down with them, but if I didn't they would go away and never bother me or my parents again. I tried to hide it, but when the time came the officers saw how scared I was and that I was hiding something, and they convinced me that they would protect me if I told the truth. So I did, they brought in Jon and Jack, and they confessed, but they claimed that I had intentionally helped them; that I helped them figure out where to place the explosive and snuck them into the mansion that night, but because of a malfunction I got caught in the blast. The claim was dismissed as the only evidence was circumstantial, but that didn't stop people from believing it.
~~~
Shana had been tense the whole time she had been telling her story, but you could almost feel her start to close up while talking about the threat and the claim against her, but she kept on.
~~~
After that ordeal my parents singed me up for any surgery with so much as a one percent chance of succeeding at fixing my eyes while I tried to learn how to live my life in darkness. It was after one of those useless surgeries that someone offered me a way out. I still don't know who it was, but he said he could give me my sight back and I was desperate, so I took the deal and woke up in this place.

Edited by MenaAthena

"Shame."  Jakob says.  "Hate to sound cruel, but it's mainly your fault.  You invited them into your house, had to get mixed up their stuff...Granted, it was quite brave to go looking around for them like that, but still.  Leave that to people like me."

As quickly as Jakob opened up, he seems to have purposefully closed himself off again.

"You think I don't know it's my falt?" Shana replied with a surprisingly cold tone, "None of that would have ever happened if I wasn't so stupid! A fool could have seen they were just trying to use me! No one is ever nice to me unless they want something!" She was nearly shouting in a sort of self-loathing anger that one would suspect had been bottled up for quite a while, and she was gripping the water glass so tight her knuckles went white. She quickly realized what she had just said and got a hold of herself, returning to her frightened self in shame.

"I-I'm s-sorry..." she squeaked out even more quietly than usual.

Disparel claps in amusement, "Bravo, bravo! A stunning display of emotion from the emotionless, quite a sight to see! Now let's have some dessert to sweeten the mood."

The servants scuttled about collecting empty plates with the consent of whoever was eating from it, "M-miss, may I take your plate?" One fearfully asked upon reaching Shana.

……………………………………………

(Come on people on the surface, step it up!)

Edited by CloakofCrow

Shana was shocked. Pleased reactions were the last thing she had expected from her rude outburst. If she were back home she never would have never heard the end of it from mother, and father would have disciplined her. It took a moment for her to realize she had been spoken too.

"Yeah, sure."

Holly looked into the abyss deeper within the cellar, and semi curiosity tempted her. Yet curiosity was easily trampled by exhaustion, hunger, and her filthy hand of the crushed mandrake.

She walked past Ethel and Bonnie as she left the cellar, and scoped out the quiet village around her, only now noticing a female form unconcious on the ground.

Jakob is silent, and glares at the others like they're potential threats.  He seems rather uncomfortable with them knowing so much about his past.

"Well, it was great meeting you all, I think I'll go back to my room."  He says quickly, standing up.

"I wasn't gonna keep him long anyways, I'll probably keep him around until breakfast, so you can see him in his room or something if you wish to contact him..."

The servants hastily brought out chocolate cake without a word and left.

"I think I'll retire for the night." Bengie said, getting up with his plate. He left, walking towards the apartments where Shana slept the previous night. Disparel stared at Shana, ignoring the cake in front of him with a blank expression on his face.