[Suggestion] Standalone version of Don't Starve

I don't use Steam. (I'm not looking to start another "why steam is good/bad conversation, nobody needs that; I just don't use it.) I'd gotten the impression I could download Don't Starve and play it by itself. After I bought it I was surprised to learn, when looking for a version I could download and just play, that there is not one available. I either have to go through Google or Steam, I can't just play it from my computer.

If I'd known this, I probably would not have bought the game.

I'm requesting a standalone version that I can download once, and play from my computer without needing to connect to Google's app store (or start up Steam, or anything else where the game is shackled to another service).

I really, really dislike having games I have paid for being chained to other programs/services. I'm tempted to ask for a refund and revocation of my license, especially since I'm also trying to get away from Google's services.

So yeah, my suggestion/request is a standalone version of the game. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Edited by Istas
Clarification

I got up one for ya..

Buy the game and then go to thepiratebay,wich i personaly use to check games myself.

If its a boring game for my apetite,or just isnt good,like C&C 4,i will never buy it.

If i did,and then found out,i wouldnt get a refund or anything.

For dont starve..It was about three days till i went to buy the game.And that was because i couldnt get myself from PC.

The steam is a problem for me...SP Game requiring internet..Darn that.

But well,the thepiratebay version doesnt need steam..I Guess if you have BIG Problems,you could use that,but dont forget to buy the game first.We all have to give the dev team of klei entertainment a huge thanks for this awesome game.

Buying the game is least you can do.

I got up one for ya..

Buy the game and then go to thepiratebay,wich i personaly use to check games myself.

If its a boring game for my apetite,or just isnt good,like C&C 4,i will never buy it.

If i did,and then found out,i wouldnt get a refund or anything.

For dont starve..It was about three days till i went to buy the game.And that was because i couldnt get myself from PC.

The steam is a problem for me...SP Game requiring internet..Darn that.

But well,the thepiratebay version doesnt need steam..I Guess if you have BIG Problems,you could use that,but dont forget to buy the game first.We all have to give the dev team of klei entertainment a huge thanks for this awesome game.

Buying the game is least you can do.

Just replying to the bolded part. This is a little off-topic as well.

Wait, you don't need the internet turn Steam to Offline Mode, and play DS.

I've turned off my router and my modem (using direct line), and started DS from the start menu, and it worked. I had the option to let Steam to run on Offline mode because it didn't receive any internet connection, and was able to DS without a problem.

My save file did not get any corruption or discrepancy as well, despite the cloud sync.

----

Edited by Moonphos

(snip) This is a little off-topic as well. (snip)

I have a response to the statement about Steam but as I said I don't want to start a Steam discussion in this thread.

(snip) Buy the game and then go to thepiratebay (snip)

I am aware of this option and noticed there was a copy available for torrent the day after the most recent update. But that's not the point here; I want to encourage games being available to play independently of logging in online at all, let alone third-party programs/companies. Really the only way I can do this is to ask, and to 'vote with my money', so to speak.

If I buy a game that does things I do not want I am essentially making it more likely that I will have to put up with those things more in the future. It may be a small effect just by myself, but the other option is doing nothing (which I am not content with), and I know there are others who feel the way I do.

Edited by Istas
Clarification

The devs will be looking into a standalone version after the game is released, but they're going to be sticking to Steam/Chrome while it's in beta.

Steam and Chrome handle most of the heavy work when it comes to updating the game. With a standalone version, they would have to create their own infrastructure for updating, and they'd rather spend as much time as possible working on game content while it's in beta.

Edited by Toaster Fu

The devs will be looking into a standalone version after the game is released, but they're going to be sticking to Steam/Chrome while it's in beta.
Steam and Chrome handle most of the heavy work when it comes to updating the game. With a standalone version, they would have to create their own infrastructure for updating, and they'd rather spend as much time as possible working on game content while it's in beta.

Edit: Woops, double post. If a mod could merge my two posts together, that'd be neat.

Syd: Thank you! That is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. I can see not wanting to deal with the server issues when updating (after dealing with it in Minecraft and KSP it's completely understandable, heh)

I am content with getting a standalone version after the game is released, especially since I understand the reasoning. Yay!