Klei dedicated servers

Just whatever you notice about them and you're wondering if anyone else thinks the same thing.

Basically DAE thread for the dedicated servers.

Does anyone else feel like they're really underpowered for trying to support 6-8 players?

Does anyone else get really nervous when trying to settle down on one? I've taken to living almost a purely nomadic lifestyle on them. I mean I'm doing pretty well, I'm up to day 150 now on the (currently) day 2304 server, but every time I consider settling down I get really nervous and don't want to actually make a home on the server. I'm not sure why this is, but I think it might have something to do with the fear that people might steal my stuff when I'm offline, so I never really "own" more than the 23 items I can keep in my inventory (plus whatever I can make and keep in my crafting menu).

Another thing that actually bothers me is that yesterday when I've played on a dedicated Klei server, a guy that just died he decided to be a prick and screw up everyone else with the sanity drain. Even after asked him 3-4 times on different times of the day to return to portal for a quick fix with a Tell-Tale Heart he didn't respond like he was finding joy into ruin everyone's game just cos he's an *******.

We all where like 4-5 days and winter was just starting to settle in, so we all where bound to die anyway sooner or alter due to lack of time for a proper preparation, but still..

Does anyone else get really nervous when trying to settle down on one? I've taken to living almost a purely nomadic lifestyle on them.

I do this for the most part as well. I've been debating with myself whether this should be intended or not. As it is, if you leave your camp alone, you can't expect anything to be there when you return. This is multiplayer though, so you could work with friends and/or make allies and have 1-2 of them guard the camp while you wander. This is a change in playstyle from single player, but that's to be expected. A single person in multiplayer shouldn't be as prosperous as multiple people working together.

Basically, you are forced to work together if you want to make a lasting camp. When there's no one to guard the camp (when everyone logs off), you again can't expect anything to be there when you come back. But, this is only the current state of public dedicated Klei servers. When player-hosted dedicated servers are available, I'm guessing/hoping/praying the player can choose to close their server and restart it whenever they want. The votekick system, when fully implemented, will help too.

the fear that people might steal my stuff when I'm offline, so I never really "own" more than the 23 items I can keep in my inventory (plus whatever I can make and keep in my crafting menu).

Well for now you could keep hidden chests somewhere people don't usually go like... a deep forest, put some of your loot there...

better yet, destroy a tier 3 spider den, put a chest in its place then plant the spider den in front of it...

it will hide it (somewhat) from the map and from normal view...

That's what I did...

Another thing that actually bothers me is that yesterday when I've played on a dedicated Klei server, a guy that just died he decided to be a prick and screw up everyone else with the sanity drain. Even after asked him 3-4 times on different times of the day to return to portal for a quick fix with a Tell-Tale Heart he didn't respond like he was finding joy into ruin everyone's game just cos he's an *******.

We all where like 4-5 days and winter was just starting to settle in, so we all where bound to die anyway sooner or alter due to lack of time for a proper preparation, but still..

That brings up a funny thing about griefers in dedicated (survival) servers. With nobody there to kick the griefer, they can choose to punch you until you kill them or die, and then they win in either case because either

1) you fought back and won, now you have to deal with sanity drain while they afk

2) they killed you, now you're dead.

There's just something interesting about klei managing to make a situation where a griefer wins nomatter what, those dedicated (survival) servers really need vote-kick.

Wilderness servers totally shouldn't have vote kick.

Well for now you could keep hidden chests somewhere people don't usually go like... a deep forest, put some of your loot there...

better yet, destroy a tier 3 spider den, put a chest in its place then plant the spider den in front of it...

it will hide it (somewhat) from the map and from normal view...

That's what I did...

sure does make the chest a pain to access though :p

Hi guys,

I've only played on Wilderness dedicated servers for now, so I can't say anything about survival ones. But I can imagine how griefers/looters can be a pain on these.

And a votekick system needs to be implemented.

On wilderness servers (and probably one others too), I think the main problems are:

-Sapplings and grass cannot 'respawn' when everything has been burned. There should be a way to 'recreate' some so that the server can be playable again.

-Flints usually become unfoundable after something like 20 days, which makes it nearly impossible for new players to start.

To my mind, the main thing that is missing now for server administration is being able to give things in new people inventorys when they start.

For example, on these wilderness dedicated servers, you could start with 3 flints, 2 grass roots, and 2 sappling roots. It is not a lot, but it would be a nice help for new players, not too strong though; and new players could then 'repopulate' a wasted world, or at least have a few things to survive the first days.

(Sorry for my english, not always perfect :))

-Flints usually become unfoundable after something like 20 days, which makes it nearly impossible for new players to start.

everything in your post seems reasonable except for this

Why the emphasis on flint? in the day 40+ worlds, willow's lighter is so abundant that you rarely need to make a torch, let alone a fire. Not to mention it seems like people build fire pits everywhere and never take them down, so if you need to cook, there's always a fire pit nearby. Honestly, a lack of flint has never bothered me in a wilderness dedicated server.

Protip: if you're really itching for flint, head to a rocky room, they have meteor showers that drop flint, and break boulders with flint in them, so you can always find some there.

The sapling/grass tuft issue does need to be fixed though.

Yes, I was a bit too hard with the lack of flints.

Though, I've already experienced the issue where I discovered the world during 10 days without finiding any flint nor a meteor storm in rocky biome. And this is very frustrating as you can't create an axe nor a pickaxe in order to start farming wood and rocks.

On the other hand, having 2 flints at the starts allows you to get a pickaxe early, then farm rocks for more flints, then create an axe and have every thing you need to start.

But, yes, I agree with you as the main problem are sappling/grass when the server reaches a certain amount of days.

• Developer

And a votekick system needs to be implemented.

On wilderness servers (and probably one others too), I think the main problems are:

-Sapplings and grass cannot 'respawn' when everything has been burned. There should be a way to 'recreate' some so that the server can be playable again.

To my mind, the main thing that is missing now for server administration is being able to give things in new people inventorys when they start.

For example, on these wilderness dedicated servers, you could start with 3 flints, 2 grass roots, and 2 sappling roots. It is not a lot, but it would be a nice help for new players, not too strong though; and new players could then 'repopulate' a wasted world, or at least have a few things to survive the first days.

(Sorry for my english, not always perfect :-))

Hello,

I'm one of the beta tester, I host a Dedicated server with 20 player slots in Endless mode so I know what you feel about the current gameplay, and I work on some mods to correct these things.

Concerning saplings and grass, yes something must be done by the devs. For my part, I made a mod to allows burns things to respawn after some days.

About flints, after day 20 you have to find a meteor spot, you can increase the frequency and the duration of them by mods :)

Finally, for starting inventory,  there is already a mod allowing that: Starting Item

Well, I know, all of my suggestion requires mods, but I see the DST beta as a Technical beta. The gameplay side will come later, I'm sure Devs know what is missing. :)

everything in your post seems reasonable except for this

Why the emphasis on flint? in the day 40+ worlds, willow's lighter is so abundant that you rarely need to make a torch, let alone a fire. Not to mention it seems like people build fire pits everywhere and never take them down, so if you need to cook, there's always a fire pit nearby. Honestly, a lack of flint has never bothered me in a wilderness dedicated server.

Protip: if you're really itching for flint, head to a rocky room, they have meteor showers that drop flint, and break boulders with flint in them, so you can always find some there.

The sapling/grass tuft issue does need to be fixed though.

I see there is a newer mod out called "Renewable World" which is able to repopulate the "nonrenewable" resources such as saplings, grass tufts, berry bushes, tentacles, and even carrots and ground flint (many other things that can be configured) as they get destroyed or taken away from the server. Details on how it works specifically are on the mod page in the Steam Workshop

There is also another one I saw called "Simple Protection" that has a couple of options that will protect a server from the hosts choice of a number of things. One disallows players from even setting saplings and such things on fire at all. As in, there is no "Light" prompt with a torch/lighter in hand. It also has an option to disable fire spread which helps alleviate the problem as well, although that one is pretty impactful on gameplay to be honest.

Honestly, I'd love for Klei to try out either one of these mods on the dedicated servers and see how they hold up. I think the "Renewable World" would do wonders for the Dedicated Wilderness servers. (Doesn't really apply to Survival as much since the map re sets on its own after all players are dead which should happen eventually.....? hahah)

Or maybe we're just going to have to wait until they release the Dedicated Server Hosting access to the playerbase - and the player hosts can use such mods. Either way, as stated earlier in this thread, something does need to be done about it.

• Developer

We are working on making worlds renewable.  In the mean time, the "Renewable World" mod looks like a great option.  I think it might be a good idea to add that to our servers.

In other news, user dedicated servers are about to become a real thing!   I think the community will be able to run far better servers, and I can't wait to play on them :)

I have been hosting a PVP Wilderness server. Can't wait for dedicated servers. :) 

One thing I noticed is that PVP + Winter usually ends with players quitting the game. I would love to see Default Plus fixed for Wilderness mode(it currently doesn't work). Starting with chests/campfire would help alleviate the stress of dying during Winter in a PVP game or even non pvp. (Basically you simply die everyday during winter in a server that's been even somewhat depleted.) What would even be more awesome would be a way to determine the starting materials in a chest.

I have been hosting a PVP Wilderness server. Can't wait for dedicated servers. :-)

One thing I noticed is that PVP + Winter usually ends with players quitting the game. I would love to see Default Plus fixed for Wilderness mode(it currently doesn't work). Starting with chests/campfire would help alleviate the stress of dying during Winter in a PVP game or even non pvp. (Basically you simply die everyday during winter in a server that's been even somewhat depleted.) What would even be more awesome would be a way to determine the starting materials in a chest.

to fix this (and keep chests from spawning all over the place every time someone dies) you could do wilderness with semi-randomized starting items.

You'd end up with a lot of extra materials all over the place (see willow lighters in wilderness servers, except even worse), but if you nerfed the default+ starting items to balance that, it could be pretty cool.

EDIT:

For that second bit in bold, would you determine it by the day, or what? I don't believe there's a way to make another menu on the character select screen (an item select, or whatever), but there might be one that I just don't know of.

Finally, for starting inventory,  there is already a mod allowing that: Starting Item

Nice. I imagined this kind of mod exists but did not really search for it. I will try it tonight. Thanks for the tip!

I see there is a newer mod out called "Renewable World"

That looks great. I will try that mode tonight too.

We are working on making worlds renewable.

Great news too as it should be in the default settings of all servers :D.

Archived