Did you know that most birds can eat eggs?

Spotteh

Because this egghead:

1419900426.spotteh_wark.png

Is firmly convinced that she cant!

Jokes aside, I am doing some final play testing for a stable launch of a playable Chocobo mod I have been working on since Christmas. The short and long of it is that Wark the chocobo is mostly an Herbivore, which means that she has the:

inst.components.eater.foodprefs = { FOODTYPE.VEGGIE, FOODTYPE.INSECT, FOODTYPE.SEEDS, FOODTYPE.GENERIC, }

... line defining what she can and cannot eat. However, it is a lie to say that chocobo's are entirely herbivorous, as in some of the "Final Fantasy Fables" games they are capable of eating fish. Compiling this with the fact that eggs are generally a healthful food for birds (I mean, they do develop in those things) I am faced with the conundrum that Fish, Fish Tacos, Unagi, Eel, and both eggs are FOODTYPE.MEAT.

So my question is this: Is it possible to make exceptions to the foodprefs code so that the character can eat certain meat items like the above listed? 

Outside a few graphical touches that I want to add before the big update, I think this is the last thing hindering me from releasing Wark. This, and if the code for moulting at the start of summer needs tweaking (Rezecib is entitled to my first born, btw)!

Thanks a bunch!

Well, you can add a caneattest function, but that only tests after checking the foodtype. You'd have to allow her meat in general, but if the foodtype is "meat" and the item prefab is not any of the named, say no.

That'd look somewhat like this:

local function FoodTest(inst, food)

if food.foodtype ~= "MEAT" or food.prefab == "egg" then --don't forget the rest! (...or food.prefab == "" or....)

return true

end

end

local function fn()

[...]

inst.components.eater.foodprefs = { "VEGGIE", "INSECT", "SEEDS", "MEAT", "GENERIC" }

inst.components.eater.caneatfn = FoodTest

[...]

@Spotteh, I personally don't like long if statements. I'd rather store my values in memory and save myself the headache of trying to figure out exactly what's going on.

Example:

local function FoodTest(inst, food)for k,_ in pairs(inst._food)-- You only need the key for this to function, because there are no values with strings.if food.foodtype == "MEAT" and k == food.prefab thenreturn trueendendreturn falseend local function fn(inst) inst._food = {"Egg","Fish","etc..",} if inst.components.eater theninst.components.eater.caneatfn = FoodTestend return instend

I personally don't like long if statements. I'd rather store my values in memory and save myself the headache of trying to figure out exactly what's going on.

Example:

local function FoodTest(inst, food)for k,_ in pairs(inst._food)-- You only need the key for this to function, because there are no values with strings.if food.foodtype == "MEAT" and k == food.prefab thenreturn trueendendreturn falseend local function fn(inst) inst._food = {"Egg","Fish","etc..",} if inst.components.eater theninst.components.eater.caneatfn = FoodTestend return instend

You kinda messed up, caneat tests after checking the foodprefs. You foodtest limits to the foods in the table, as those all are meat type anyways and are themselves.

I can see where you are going with this though, let me try to adapt it:

if food.foodtype == "

MEAT" then

for _,v in pairs(inst.

meatfood) --key is the array number

if v == food.prefab then

return true --is accepted meat

end

end

return false --is generic meat

end

return true --is not meat

end

local function fn(inst)

[...]

inst.components.eater.foodprefs = {"VEGGIE","INSECT","SEEDS","MEAT","GENERIC"}

--meat foodpref is handled special

inst.meatfood = { --allowed meat foods, by code name

"egg",

"fish",

"etc..",

}

return inst

end

I really like my custom formating, it's really simple and plain but yet less confusing.

I assume you made experiences in other languages before?

@Mobbstar, my code was theoretical showing the benefit of using a loop instead of long if statements. Not many people think about using a loop in that circumstance. I've seen several of these types of posts in the past few days so getting this knowledge out there will hopefully help people.

Well, you can add a caneattest function, but that only tests after checking the foodtype. You'd have to allow her meat in general, but if the foodtype is "meat" and the item prefab is not any of the named, say no.

That'd look somewhat like this:

if food.foodtype ~= "MEAT" or food.prefab == "egg" then --don't forget the rest! (...or food.prefab == "" or....)

return true

end

end

local function fn()

[...]

inst.components.eater.foodprefs = { "VEGGIE", "INSECT", "SEEDS", "MEAT", "GENERIC" }

[...]

I literally just realized that this is the base Don't Starve forum and not the DST forum. Holy cows on politicians I am bad at this.

Ok, So even so I went and added the local function Foodtest to Wark.lua in prefabs and added "inst.components.eater.caneatfn = foodtest" to "local masterpostinit" because that is where I had:

inst.components.eater.foodprefs = { FOODTYPE.VEGGIE, FOODTYPE. MEAT, FOODTYPE.INSECT, FOODTYPE.SEEDS, FOODTYPE.GENERIC, FOODTYPE.WOOD, }

Anyways, it did the first part of what you said, were it defined that Wark can eat meat, but it gave her the ability to eat all meat without checking if it was an egg or not.

I literally just realized that this is the base Don't Starve forum and not the DST forum. Holy cows on politicians I am bad at this.

Ok, So even so I went and added the local function Foodtest to Wark.lua in prefabs and added "inst.components.eater.caneatfn = foodtest" to "local masterpostinit" because that is where I had:

inst.components.eater.foodprefs = { FOODTYPE.VEGGIE, FOODTYPE. MEAT, FOODTYPE.INSECT, FOODTYPE.SEEDS, FOODTYPE.GENERIC, FOODTYPE.WOOD, }

Anyways, it did the first part of what you said, were it defined that Wark can eat meat, but it gave her the ability to eat all meat without checking if it was an egg or not.

I made an error: it should be food.components.edible.foodtype. food.prefab is fine.

EDIT: Sincere apologies

@Spotteh,DST handles eating completely different than DS. 

You will need to replicate the old DS way of eating a little bit.

EaterPostInit = function(self)

-- Stored for later usage.

self._CanEat = self.CanEat

-- Create the variable to store the function.

self.caneatfn = nil

function self:CanEat(inst)

local edible = self._CanEat(inst)

if edible then

if self.caneatfn then

return self.caneatfn(self.inst, inst) --Can be eaten.

end

end

return edible --Unable to be eaten/does not prevent other characters from not eating.

end

return self

end

AddComponentPostInit("eater", EaterPostInit)

This should give you that functionality in DST.

I made an error: it should be food.components.edible.foodtype. food.prefab is fine.

EDIT: Sincere apologies

So like this?

if food.components.edible.foodtype ~= "MEAT" or food.prefab == "egg" then --don't forget the rest! (...or food.prefab == "" or....)

return true

end

end

local function fn()

[...]

[...]

@Spotteh,DST handles eating completely different than DS. 

You will need to replicate the old DS way of eating a little bit.

EaterPostInit = function(self)

-- Stored for later usage.

self._CanEat = self.CanEat

-- Create the variable to store the function.

self.caneatfn = nil

function self:CanEat(inst)

local edible = self._CanEat(inst)

if edible then

if self.caneatfn then

return self.caneatfn(self.inst, inst) --Can be eaten.

end

end

return false --Unable to be eaten.

end

return self

end

AddComponentPostInit("eater", EaterPostInit)

This should give you that functionality in DST.

I'd hate to sound really stupid but that doesn't look like it defines anything specific, so I am guessing I need to plug in the food list into their somewhere? is it the local edible = self._CanEat(inst)

So would it be like:

"egg" = self._CanEat(inst)

"egg_cooked" = self._CanEat(isnt)

?

Thanks a lot for your help, by the way. I really didn't think I was asking so much from everyone.

I'd hate to sound really stupid but that doesn't look like it defines anything specific, so I am guessing I need to plug in the food list into their somewhere? is it the local edible = self._CanEat(inst)

So would it be like:

"egg" = self._CanEat(inst)

"egg_cooked" = self._CanEat(isnt)

?

Thanks a lot for your help, by the way. I really didn't think I was asking so much from everyone.

By using the same code that Mobbstar gave you and use what I posted and it should work correctly. In Don't Starve Together there is no eater.caneatfn function that is being called. The code I gave basically determines if the food is edible and then calls the caneatfn which Mobbstar provided to determine if your character can actually eat it. In practice though, the return false should be return edible in my code which I will change.

By using the same code that Mobbstar gave you and use what I posted and it should work correctly. In Don't Starve Together there is no eater.caneatfn function that is being called. The code I gave basically determines if the food is edible and then calls the caneatfn which Mobbstar provided to determine if your character can actually eat it. In practice though, the return false should be return edible in my code which I will change.

Ok, so I think I understand. I put both mobbstar's and your DST fix in wark.lua in prefab, but the "AddComponentPostInit("eater", EaterPostInit)" is confusing me. Does the whole line go into the master_postinit? I pasted it their but then I get an error saying "AddComponentPostInit" isn't defined, so I am assuming I put it in the wrong place.

Ok, so I think I understand. I put both mobbstar's and your DST fix in wark.lua in prefab, but the "AddComponentPostInit("eater", EaterPostInit)" is confusing me. Does the whole line go into the master_postinit? I pasted it their but then I get an error saying "AddComponentPostInit" isn't defined, so I am assuming I put it in the wrong place.

The code I gave you goes in the modmain.lua file not in your wark.lua file.

Archived